Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another Three question...

• 21-04-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Basically, looking to pick up a new mobile this week. I'm rather attracted to 3s free skype and msn offers (factoring in FUPs too) and the SE K530i seems to be right up my alley. Also 5c texts seems pretty good to me. I'll be switching from Meteor.

So basically, just looking for a bit of friendly advice before making the plunge. Anyone with any to share?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3 customer service is well known to be brutal. they used to have constant problems with their internet but from the lack of complaints lately I'm assuming it's not /as/ bad as it was.

Search this forum for 3 and see what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I joined 3 a year ago and they were sh*te!! all round. Terrible cust services which you will be ringing often.

I rejoined them 2months ago after hearing things picked up. I left them again, back to meteor.
    A friend re-joined them a month ago for the skype/free msn. Its more a novelty just like vid calling. He's still waiting on a refund.

I could go into detail but no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Yeah, I tried searching this forum with the advanced search but kept getting "1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." so I decided to go ahead and post.

The thing is, I would be using msn and skype calls fairly regularly and then just regular calls and texting any other time. Skype would certainly save me a good few bob on international calls, like.

What were the problems you and your friend encountered congo_90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Skype and MSN work if you have 3G coverage where you will be making the calls/sending the messages from and as far as I am aware you still can't send text messages on Skype unless you have a 'Skype' phone.

Customer service is abysmal as has been previously said but you might be lucky and never need them.

I do think the network has improved quite a bit over the last few months in terms of the data side of things. I have never had an issue with voice.

Since you mention international calls though, I have found that their support for texting foreign networks is pretty poor and there are many networks that you would think they would have SMS transfer agreements with but don't abroad. There are ways around the texting issues if you are determined enough and have a bit of a data allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Hmm, by the sounds of it'd probably be better off sticking with Meteor and getting a W610i or something instead. I can get a separate, cheap Skype handset and call from the computer and the laptop and wireless in uni next year will be grand for msn and that.

Cheers for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this hasn't been made clear on the thread so i thought i'd mention it to be sure you know. With the 3 skype service, you can only call skype-skype. You can't call phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apparently you can install another Skype client though, without this limitation. I haven't done it myself, someone posted here about it before.

BostonB wrote: »
    Apparently you can install another Skype client though, without this limitation. I haven't done it myself, someone posted here about it before.

you can. it's called fring. but then it's not free. it comes out of your data allowance and would run it down very quickly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the international calling that your doing is to the UK though then there is no need to worry about Skype as calls to UK land lines or mobiles all come out of your regular bundle of minutes. The data prices on Three are great though, just a couple of protocols that don't always work quite right.

Skype out/in is never free. Even from a computer. I thought 3 had a good data bundles, but I have no idea what the cap is or how quick you'd use it. I wouldn't have though the using Skype text would be that hard on data.

• Advertisement

Skype out/in is never free. Even from a computer. I thought 3 had a good data bundles, but I have no idea what the cap is or how quick you'd use it. I wouldn't have though the using Skype text would be that hard on data.

i know it's not free but i mean that as well as paying for the call you lose data from your bundle. i saw a page on the skype forum that said 100 mins would use about 50mb

I guess you'd have to work out much using the 3 call minutes costs vs Skype and data. I have no idea. Isn't there a good rate for ringing between the Irish 3 network and the UK just using your standard minutes though?

I guess you'd have to work out much using the 3 call minutes costs vs Skype and data. I have no idea. Isn't there a good rate for ringing between the Irish 3 network and the UK just using your standard minutes though?

there is. you can call the uk with your inclusive minutes. i suppose you have to work it out for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

I have an N73 on Three. Can I just get software to use skype or does it have to a newly bought handset? I've had it for over a year, before the skype/three thing came out. Cant seem to find any info on three.ie about it.
    And eh, yeah - customer support is woeful. Saying "Sorry, could you repeat that please?" every 2 minutes is head-wrecking. Can't beat a good old paddy on the other end of the phone like.

go to planet 3 on your phone then go to:

services->a-z of everything->s->skype->download skype

you might have to set your phone to be the n73 in the my3 section

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    go to planet 3 on your phone then go to:

services->a-z of everything->s->skype->download skype

you might have to set your phone to be the n73 in the my3 section

Legend Sam, thank you.

Cormac

Advertisement