Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not an atheist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JimiTime wrote: »
    Seriously though, how you guys can say atheism is innocuous.
    What makes you think otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seriously though, how you guys can say atheism is innocuous.

Because not all atheists are on this forum? Go check out the threads in AH about belief in god, you'll see lots of atheists, most of which don't post here. Because they don't care about religion, they just think it's bullsh*t.

How could that be any more innocuous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

imagine a country where there are headlines in the papers atheist teachers can be refused etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The classification becomes the assumption becomes the implication becomes the person. The main parameters are knowledge, fear and open-mindness. It works the same for an athiest as for say a republican or a traveller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dades wrote: »
    It ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you!

Do you not think the term "atheist" is looked at in a negative light?
    I'd agree that it's not paranoia if they are actually out to get you, but here in dear old Ireland and Europe in general that is clearly not the case.

As for the term "atheist" I believe people in general don't associate a negative view with the word or those who profess to be atheist. The general populous really don't care one way or another, you may as well say I don't eat cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

seamus wrote: »
    What makes you think otherwise?

Someone at one stage thought about it enough to say I am 'A-Theist'. Then many, many people since then have also thought strongly enough about it to label themselves as atheist. Its like the 'Not playing chess is a hobby' explaination. Nobody labels themselves as a 'non chess player'. There may well be people out there who simply don't think about it. However, to label oneself an atheist means that you have gone through a though process which comes out the other side with a label.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Because not all atheists are on this forum? Go check out the threads in AH about belief in god, you'll see lots of atheists, most of which don't post here. Because they don't care about religion, they just think it's bullsh*t.

How could that be any more innocuous?

I use the word innocuous in its 'signifigance' form. I'm not using it in its 'harm' form. Probably a better word to use, but can't think of one at the minute:o. It has been argued by robindch that we are all born atheist. however, atheism has signifigance in thought. It is a thought process resulting in a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Someone at one stage thought about it enough to say I am 'A-Theist'. Then many, many people since then have also thought strongly enough about it to label themselves as atheist. Its like the 'Not playing chess is a hobby' explaination. Nobody labels themselves as a 'non chess player'. There may well be people out there who simply don't think about it. However, to label oneself an atheist means that you have gone through a though process which comes out the other side with a label.

No we're all born atheists. Then institutions including parenthood imprint the hobby of praying to someone in the sky into our very being, some of us give up the hobby others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

the word Atheist like Christian, Baptist, Quaker or Queer was originally an insulting term used to describe a group of people. Atheism predates any modern religion ( just like homosexuality) but the label itself and the ensuing stigma are products of christianity.

cheers, marky

Someone at one stage thought about it enough to say I am 'A-Theist'.
    Perhaps not.

Perhaps at some stage someone decided, "God doesn't exist", and his religious friend, unable to comprehend this, "No religious belief" thing, came up with a title to confer upon him. :)
    However, to label oneself an atheist means that you have gone through a though process which comes out the other side with a label.
    However, that's only because you have otherwise had a label previously conferred upon you. So in order to otherwise discard this label, someone indeed has to have gone through the thought process. If a person wasn't given any religious tag from birth, you can bet they wouldn't even consider what "tag" to give themselves. The notion of applying a tag to nothing is preposterous, but in most countries it has to be done, purely because the de facto tag is one of the major religions.

In this country, the biggest thing I've found is that saying, "I'm not member of any religious organisation, I don't subscribe to any religious beliefs thus far put forward" has people looking at you with two heads. Some people simply won't accept this as an answer. So I can see how atheists may give themselves a label purely to satisfy the masses, all the while not actually giving it any particular thought.

Children are born atheist - they have no system of belief. They have barely any awareness, if any at all, so the idea that person believes in a God at birth is laughable. Yet the suggestion is met with derison. How so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As for the term "atheist" I believe people in general don't associate a negative view with the word or those who profess to be atheist. The general populous really don't care one way or another, you may as well say I don't eat cabbage.
    My mother knows well I don't eat cabbage - and, although she may suspect I'm "lapsed", she'd be a lot more concerned if she thought I was 'atheist'. (And I'm many years left home!)
    However, to label oneself an atheist means that you have gone through a though process which comes out the other side with a label.
    Hmmm, I don't know. Most people don't go about calling themselves mammals when they clearly are!

If nobody ever claimed a god existed the term atheist wouldn't exist. But, lets face it, most humans claim to believe in one diety or other; hence we become the exception rather than the rule, thereby aquiring a label.

Children are born atheist - they have no system of belief. They have barely any awareness, if any at all, so the idea that person believes in a God at birth is laughable. Yet the suggestion is met with derison. How so?

I'm not saying they are theist, but my arguement is that atheism is a thought process. So to say that a child is atheist, in reality terms, is wrong. Just like saying a child is born christian or muslim etc is wrong.

Atheist: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

A baby neither disbelieves or denies.

Haven't heard it put like that before, but it makes sense.

Does that mean we need a new term for someone who has no concept of gods to disbelieve in? :pac:

Hmmm, I don't know. Most people don't go about calling themselves mammals when they clearly are!

Precisely. Its innocuous to them. Atheism on the other hand, means that you have thought about it and said 'I am an atheist'. Mammal is what you are, atheist is what you are as a result of a thought process.
    If nobody ever claimed a god existed the term atheist wouldn't exist. But, lets face it, most humans claim to believe in one diety or other; hence we become the exception rather than the rule, thereby aquiring a label.

But most of you give yourselves the label. You don't 'aquire' it. You take it. You don't believe that God has revealed himself, or indeed anything supernatural has taken place, so you are contradicting the history of humanity for whatever reasons, on the basis that you 'believe' that nothing supernatural can take place. So currently, you are the exception, but rather than it being this innocuous, 'Deity, whats that now' and someone than saying 'oh your an atheist. Its 'Deity is nonsense, theres no evidence etc etc'. I.E. A thought process.

... so you are contradicting the history of humanity for whatever reasons, on the basis that you 'believe' that nothing supernatural can take place.....

Wha? Are you ******* serious!?!?!?!?

Haven't heard it put like that before, but it makes sense.

Does that mean we need a new term for someone who has no concept of gods to disbelieve in? :pac:

Actually, has there ever been someone discovered, in a jungle or somewhere. You know the stories of a child raised by wolves and the like?

Atheist: a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
    I see what you're trying to say now, however even that line paints an atheist as someone who differs from the norm.

Society suggests that there *must* be two camps - that is, you either believe there is a God or you believe there isn't a God. Religious people in particular seem unable to comprehend the third possible position - someone who has never even considered the concept of God. Babies and children fall into this grouping.

I would say that "atheism" is an appropriate label for this group purely on the basis that (in my mind), atheism is not about rejecting or denying God (how can you reject or deny something that doesn't exist), rather it's about the absence of any deity in your everyday life.
    If the concept of a deity has never occured to a person, then logically they fall into this grouping.

I have never considered atheism to be a set of beliefs, rather a total absence of any belief (which again would include those who don't understand the concept of belief), but I accept your argument particularly in terms of how strongly some people seem to feel about their atheism :)

Wha? Are you ******* serious!?!?!?!?

Keep your hair on! Mans history is full of the supernatural. So the denying of it, goes against what our ancestors have reported. As I said, 'for whatever reasons'. Those reasons may be, you feel that science has shown you the folly of our ancestors and their ignorance etc. However, Atheism does deny what historically, people have reported. Unless of course you can proove that there was an ancient civilisation that were atheist?

....Mans history is full of the supernatural.....

Where?!?!?!

I see what you're trying to say now, however even that line paints an atheist as someone who differs from the norm.

Society suggests that there *must* be two camps - that is, you either believe there is a God or you believe there isn't a God. Religious people in particular seem unable to comprehend the third possible position - someone who has never even considered the concept of God. Babies and children fall into this grouping.

I would say that "atheism" is an appropriate label for this group purely on the basis that (in my mind), atheism is not about rejecting or denying God (how can you reject or deny something that doesn't exist), rather it's about the absence of any deity in your everyday life.
    If the concept of a deity has never occured to a person, then logically they fall into this grouping.

I have never considered atheism to be a set of beliefs, rather a total absence of any belief (which again would include those who don't understand the concept of belief), but I accept your argument particularly in terms of how strongly some people seem to feel about their atheism :)

I'd have to say, there certainly does not seem to consensus on the word anyway. It seems to be different depending on who you talk to. Much like Christianity, Islam etc, Ironically enough.

• Advertisement

Where?!?!?!

C'mon CC, read the post! Next line, important word 'Reported'!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Mans history is full of the supernatural. So the denying of it

Hearsay and conjector prove nothing.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Hearsay and conjector prove nothing.

Read the thread in context. I'm not trying to prove anything but that our ancestors believed in deities and the supernatural.

Precisely. Its innocuous to them. Atheism on the other hand, means that you have thought about it and said 'I am an atheist'. Mammal is what you are, atheist is what you are as a result of a thought process.
    Actually my point was it doesn't matter whether people choose to call themselves mammals or not - they are - regardless of how little thought they have given the matter.

Just like people who fit the belief criteria for atheism.

Regarding "contradicting the history of humanity", you make it sound like humanity was united in their belief of a single god (or set of gods) rather than a jumble of contradictory ones. Humanity's belief in thousands of different deities it's own contradiction!

Actually my point was it doesn't matter whether people choose to call themselves mammals or not - they are - regardless of how little thought they have given the matter.

Just like people who fit the belief criteria for atheism.

Not following you here:confused:
    Regarding "contradicting the history of humanity", you make it sound like humanity was united in their belief of a single god (or set of gods) rather than a jumble of contradictory ones. Humanity's belief in thousands of different deities it's own contradiction!

I certainly didn't mean to present that notion. The point I'm making is that, throughout the ages, Atheism certainly doesn't seem to be natural to mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I certainly didn't mean to present that notion. The point I'm making is that, throughout the ages, Atheism certainly doesn't seem to be natural to mankind.

The Supernatural (if you ask me) is basically a by product of the human condition. We have complex brains and we want to know everything. When we discover a gap in our knowledge we will instinctively try to plug in the holes.
    ""What's that thing in the water...? SEA MONSTER!"
    "Whats that in the sky???? GOD OF FIRE!!!"
    "Whats that coming over the hill? ... IS IT A MONSTER!!!?"
    -sorry:o

Galvasean wrote: »
    I was humming that ALL DAY yesterday and I have no idea why! *

* Maybe I'm the last cylon

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I think I get what Jimi is trying to say. Everyone (I hope) can calm down a little bit. He's not saying that we're contradicting what actually happened. It would seem in the point he's trying to make that he's not actually making any judgement of whether or not atheism and a disbelief in the supernatural is right or wrong.

When he says "Man's history is full of the supernatural" and that we are "contradicting" this history, he (again I think) just means that man's history is full of belief in and acceptance of the supernatural. We durty heathens are disagreeing with the opinions of a vast majority of our ancestors. Please note, I also don't think that for Jimi's point it matters what god, what supernatural phenomenon or even how many gods our ancestors accepted, merely that they believed something and we don't at all, at all.

I can see the point he's trying to make, it is a little odd that all us genius folk who arrived at our position for whatever reason but from (in general) a starting point of belief (again, no lynchings please, I know we weren't born believing but most of us here had that changed pretty darn quick) are described using the same word as the little mite who was lucky enough not to fall to the evils of theism. We believe the same thing as this kiddy but because that child had no exposure to religiosity our reasons are generally different. I think this is part of the reason the term bight is sometimes used.

For the record, I'm just a humble atheist. If someone wants to call me something else - and many do :p -that's their choice but sticks and stones and all that.

Galvasean wrote: »
    The Supernatural (if you ask me) is basically a by product of the human condition. We have complex brains and we want to know everything. When we discover a gap in our knowledge we will instinctively try to plug in the holes.
    ""What's that thing in the water...? SEA MONSTER!"
    "Whats that in the sky???? GOD OF FIRE!!!"

As i said, i'm not looking to debate on why mankind has, through the ages, reported and believed in things that were supernatural. Merely to make the point that they did, in context of the discussion of the last 2 pages.

Groan:rolleyes::)

• Advertisement

but looking back in time, and still in the present time, the norm has been a belief in some form of god or gods. So atheism in this way, does differ from the norm. On this point i'm not trying to argue who's right or wrong, just that atheism is not a natural state, but the conclusion of a thought process.

A baby, I agree with, but a child? I disagree. i think the moment a person begins to think about where things came from etc, it enters the realm of gods etc. Although as i said, i don't think we have evidence of a child never being exposed to people, civilisation etc. So to say one way or the other would be to speculate IMO. The fact is, from the moment a child is born, its exposed to the society it lives in.

Again, i think this is rhetorical, and not actually an accurate definition of Atheism as we know it. I suppose If you are saying atheism can mean the absolute ignorance of the concept of god, then giving it a title would be like giving a title to someone who is totally ignorant of the idea of there being a turtle holding up the earth. You see where I'm coming from?

i just realised this is my second reply to this post:o Its a bit more detailed though. to reiterate though, among its adhearents, there does not sem to be a common meaning to 'Atheist'.

Advertisement