Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Options for fixing scratch on new car

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Hello all...

My mother scratched her '08 Corsa today while parking. There's a 15 x 15 cm scrape along the passenger door, clearly visible, although I don't think there's any damage other than to the paintwork.

In the past she had only second-hand cars, so she was never too bothered about scratches or dents affecting her resale value, and she'd get them fixed by the local panel beater.

Given that this is a new car though, and we have to think of resale values, what's the best way about getting this fixed. Will it make most sense in the long run just to go back to the main dealer and get it fixed by them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give that it's a brand new car you need to get a pro to fix it I think.
    Go back to dealer and get a quote. Also look up garages in the phone book and google.
    There are scratch fixes to buy online and DIY but that would be for older cars imo, others may have better suggestions for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

fricatus wrote: »
    '08 Corsa ......... 15 x 15 cm scrape along the passenger door

That's a fine sized scrape. Have the door replaced. Filler on a current year car is not a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pending if its a metallic or straight colour you may have to get the whole door resprayed :eek:. You can get DIY touch up kits for cars in most factors but these would be only suitable for older cars or those that are not too fussy about finish ie commercial vehicles etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

crosstownk wrote: »
    That's a fine sized scrape. Have the door replaced. Filler on a current year car is not a runner.

It's big all right... about the size (in terms of area) of a CD case, but it wouldn't require filler as far as I can tell, because it's only superficial paintwork damage. I doubt there's any damage at all to the metal underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I know you posted this a few months ago but if your still looking www.autosmartsystems.ie have a guy in Waterford. Excellent service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

avoid diy on new cars!!!!!

professional jobi s worth the money especially if there is no body damage!!!

seriously if yo did it yourself its like a scar you will regret everytime you look at it

Advertisement