Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting on Baseball?

• 21-04-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody bet on baseball and do they have much success?

I have started (although I know nothing about it) because I like the idea of a team either winning or losing, it cuts out the frustration of draws at least!

Since last Monday, I've bet on 6 doubles, winning 5 and I have a double on tonight, Red Sox won already, so just waiting for the midnight match!

Thanks
    Jay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

I bet on it a little, have found that as i have a good knowledge of the sport i have an advantage. Usually by looking at pitchers etc you can favour one team or the other..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Kinda32 wrote: »
    I bet on it a little, have found that as i have a good knowledge of the sport i have an advantage. Usually by looking at pitchers etc you can favour one team or the other..

I've just been looking at the odds (which I'm sure takes the pitchers into account) and the stats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

God no.
    Kinda32 wrote:
    I bet on it a little, have found that as i have a good knowledge of the sport i have an advantage.

An advantage how? Are the odds quoted in Ireland 'softer' than those in the US?

Kinda32 wrote:
    Usually by looking at pitchers etc you can favour one team or the other..

Or the hitting, fielding, day/night splits, days off, travel schedules, managers, injuries...

I think baseball has to be one of the most random sports to bet on, I never go near it, despite the fact that I bet American sports generally (NFL, NCAA Football, Mens College Basketball) and have been following the game pretty closely for the past 5 years.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think baseball has to be one of the most random sports to bet on

Granted, I don't know much about it, but surely it can't be as random as sports which have 3 possible outcomes, ie. lose or draw and you lose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

jasonorr wrote: »
    Granted, I don't know much about it, but surely it can't be as random as sports which have 3 possible outcomes, ie. lose or draw and you lose!

Hell no! Example: Man united could win, lose or draw against Derby county but you know which one its going to be.

The Yankees can play the worst team in baseball and get hockyed. Sure the red sox beat us loads of times :p (Sorry couldn't help it)

Baseball really is random. The top teams probably lose 60-70 times in a season. Top teams in other sports are more of sure bets and only lose a handful of times.

Sure draws are only really common in football. NFL, Basketball, Gaelic and Rugby even dont draw as often.

• Advertisement

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Hell no! Example: Man united could win, lose or draw against Derby county but you know which one its going to be.

The Yankees can play the worst team in baseball and get hockyed. Sure the red sox beat us loads of times :p (Sorry couldn't help it)

Baseball really is random. The top teams probably lose 60-70 times in a season. Top teams in other sports are more of sure bets and only lose a handful of times.

Sure draws are only really common in football. NFL, Basketball, Gaelic and Rugby even dont draw as often.

Haha, OK! I'm sure I'll come to realise this the hard way! I probably just thought that it's more predictable because of my recent "success" 11/12 teams is pretty good!

Football would be the sport that I'd bet on mainly, but I'm fed up of it for now!

13/14 now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Baseball is one of very few sports I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, despite having a good knowledge of it. Too many variables and, as stated, the best team can get hockeyed by the worst team. There are no guarantess which means "No thanks" from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Also, 160 odd games in a season-very few 'must win' games-do players really give it the full gun every day/night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Haha, OK! I'm sure I'll come to realise this the hard way! I probably just thought that it's more predictable because of my recent "success" 11/12 teams is pretty good!

Football would be the sport that I'd bet on mainly, but I'm fed up of it for now!

I would say beginners luck but i'd be being jealous :D. Fair play tis an impressive run, who are you placing the bets with? Would be interested in seing some of their odds. Out of curiosity of course :p

• Advertisement

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I would say beginners luck but i'd be being jealous :D. Fair play tis an impressive run, who are you placing the bets with? Would be interested in seing some of their odds. Out of curiosity of course :p

PM sent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

But because there is one less possible outcome the odds are smaller and you have to have a higher success rate which you seem to be achieving at the moment.

dsmythy wrote: »
    But because there is one less possible outcome the odds are smaller and you have to have a higher success rate which you seem to be achieving at the moment.

True, but what's wrong with that? I've tripled my money in a week gambling "sensibly"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

What i was trying to get accross is that the odds on certain games may be better than they should be. Hence worth a bet. I have found plenty of value in baseball betting. I have come accross some games where big name pitchers (Pedro is one example) are coming back from injuries and often the other team is a bigger price than they should be. Obviously on any day a team can beat another (as in all sports), but thats not the point. You are looking for odds that you feel represent value when gambling.

Advertisement