Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Round about question

Options
  • 21-04-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

In carlow town there is a roundabout with 5 exits

Lets say you pull up to exit 1(it is split into two lanes) coming onto the roundabout
    You want to go off the roundabout at exit 4.
    Do you stay in the left or right lane when coming onto roundabout from exit 1?

The whole of carlow is 50/50 on this and i'm surprised there hasn't been any crashes. There are no signs or road markings to tell you which lane to be in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Right lane.

Thanks

[waiting for next reply to say "left lane"]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think of a roundabout as a clock.

at 12 o clock, left or right lane

before 12, left lane.

after 12, right lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

My own thinking is if the exit is to the left, use the left lane, and if the exit is to the right use the right lane. Am I wrong??

Cremo wrote: »

before 12, left lane.

after 12, right lane.

Yip, thats what I meant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ManofMunster

before 12, left lane.

after 12, right lane.

i think it should be the right lane no matter what time of day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Lobster wrote: »
    My own thinking is if the exit is to the left, use the left lane, and if the exit is to the right use the right lane. Am I wrong??

Surely ALL exits are to the left!!:rolleyes::eek:

meesa wrote: »
    Surely ALL exits are to the left!!:rolleyes::eek:
    Not what I meant, right or left side of the roundabout:confused:

OK heres a pic
    dark blue car and light blue car, the exit(4) has only one lane going off the round about

th_24082_untitled_122_435lo.JPG

• Advertisement

before 12, left lane.

after 12, right lane.

thats only if the road you are going onto has two lanes

This post has been deleted.

thats great for proper roundabouts but this is one of them dinky roundabouts

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

OK heres a pic
    dark blue car and light blue car, the exit(4) has only one lane going off the round about

th_24082_untitled_122_435lo.JPG

The dark blue car has right of way, lane disipline applies, if the light blue car wishes to move to the outside lane you must indicate and give way to the dark blue car.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

which roundabout? i live in carlow. and did my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That is not correct Cremo but a commonly made mistake.

If the roundabout is a standard four exit one, a driver wishing to take the 2nd exit ("straight on") must approach the roundabout in the left lane.

The only time the right lane may be used is if the left lane is blocked or one has been directed to do so by a garda.
    The dark blue car has right of way, lane disipline applies, if the light blue car wishes to move to the outside lane you must indicate and give way to the dark blue car.

Brendan
    The dark blue car is in the wrong lane. The exit is "after 12 O'Clock". Therefore, vehicles taking that exit must enter the roundabout in the right lane.

so you're talking about the roundabout you come out from fairgreen? Just use the rules Wishbone Ash had said. Well it applies to all roundabouts.
    If youre going from Aldi ,go straight through the first roundabout. And for the second roundabout and if you need to go on the the inner relief road. Thats a Third exit and after 12o clock so you get on the right lane. Lots of people dont do that so make sure you be careful and observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

[QUOTE=

The dark blue car is in the wrong lane. The exit is "after 12 O'Clock". Therefore, vehicles taking that exit must enter the roundabout in the right lane.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I was only discussing right of way and lane discipline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sd2002

I recently failed my test because of how I take roundabouts. I enter in right lane when taking 3rd or later exit which seems to be what rules of road book says. Anyway, the tester told me I have to use common sense and not just follow what the book says. He seemed to say that unless you are taking the last exit you should be in left lane.

I still haven't got a definite answer from any fully-licenced driver as to what is the correct procedure. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wow, that is totally wrong.

1st and 2nd exit = Left lane.

3rd, 4th or more = Right lane.

Thats in the Rules of the road, the theory test book, and what any driving instructor will tell you.

• Advertisement

@SD2002 . No the tester is wrong!! what Holsten said is the right thing.
    But if the 3rd exit is before 12o clock,then you use the left lane,but if it is after. then right lane. Did you use the 12'o clock rule?

Advertisement