Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need Help with vw borA

Options
  • 21-04-2008 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Have a bora its a 00 1.4 petrol and have put 4 litres in it in past 2 months . It keeps setting off sensor and when i check dipstick there is no oil so went to investigate and there was oil on spark plugs but only on two of them. was wondering what could be the problem it doesnt appear to be leaking oil onto ground and there is not excessive smoke. i dont want to but a new engine if its unnecessary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Which part of the plugs? inside engine or outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 l_whitty

the oil is only around the threads of the plug

Is it possible that the oil got there from outside the engine?

It sounds like you are burning oil, as there is no evidence of it leaking out anywhere else.
    Could be worn piston ring(s) and only slightly burning oil, as the engine paobably takes about 4 liters to fill it, and you are usint that in about 2 months

ok that sounds bout right but would u advice leak test and then see, we were told to replace engine as its a big job to replace rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

How many miles are on the engine? I know of 1.4's burning oil good'o when they have a good few miles on them, as much as needed to be filled up every month. Either got to live with it or replace the engine I guess. Any history of it overheating previously as this is generally what causes it to start drinking oil as much as petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

l_whitty wrote: »
    Have a bora its a 00 1.4 petrol and have put 4 litres in it in past 2 months . It keeps setting off sensor and when i check dipstick there is no oil so went to investigate and there was oil on spark plugs but only on two of them. was wondering what could be the problem it doesnt appear to be leaking oil onto ground and there is not excessive smoke. i dont want to but a new engine if its unnecessary
    Jesus. Same problem last night for me, same engine aswel. My dads car was misfiring so I thought I'd take out the plugs and have a look. Number 3 plug was covered in oil.
    I retightened the plugs and it didn't misss fire. I'll see what happens later I'll take it back out. If there's oil around it well then we know its burning oil.

Also there was oil on the outside of the plug aswel as the inside and theres massive millage. Yeap it must be burning oil:(

l_whitty wrote: »
    ok that sounds bout right but would u advice leak test and then see, we were told to replace engine as its a big job to replace rings?

Both are big jobs TBH, the problem with replacing piston rings is that you have new rings in an old engine, other parts are going to wear out, and its just not worth the hassel in my opinion.

If it was me I woud get a new engine, I did this a few years back with an old Mitsubishi Colt I had, got a refurbished engine from IVI imports there on the naas road, across from FBD. Don't know if they do VW though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

These engines have a problem with valve stem oil seals causing excessive oil consumption, most mechanics will know about this, usually cheaper to get them replaced than s/h engine because you could be back in same boat. The oil on the plug threads is prob just rocker cover gasket and nothing to worry about. Give the car a good rev when you start in morning and watch for a bluish smoke out the back, this is valve stem seals, smoking when you rev hard when warm is
    rings

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I was just gonna say valve stem oil seals seems to be a prob in a lot of vw's of this age
    and if you were gonna do piston rings make sure they do a compression test first

yeah i was hoping it was the stem seals havent done anythign about it yet but will prob send for compression test cause dont wanna take a chance with new engine.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

there is 75000 miles on it so i dont think it is a massive amount for piston rings to be worn and its a 00 so it is 8 yrs old but still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I have a friend who has a 00 bora and he has been having some troble with it ,it is a 1.4 petrol as weel. And what happens is that when he is driving the oil light some times come on and the prower drops some times it somes back straight away other times he has to turn the ignition off and on. Would be also trouble with the oil stem valve? or has anyone had this problem also and found the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 muro08

is a bora a good 1st car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Most likely the Valve Stem oil seals as mentioned although with the CAT fitted you may not see any blue smoke.

A leakdown test will confirm what is wrong !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A quick test for dodgy valve stem oil seals.......

Drive the car to about 50MPH/80km/h in third gear.
    With a clear stretch of road in front, release the throttle and let the car slow down without applying the brake or clutch until just before the stall.
    When stopped, rev the engine to 4,000 - 5,000 rpm.
    If you get a cloud of blue smoke out the exhaust when you rev, chances are there is a valve stem oil seal problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

muro08 wrote: »
    is a bora a good 1st car?

Its a vw , so no is the answer.

Advertisement