Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, next marathon!

Options
  • 21-04-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all, just finished the Connemarathon, (my first marathon) and am planning to do the Dublin City marathon in october. Been reading Sungod's log, he trains near me and thought it might be good to look back on. At this stage I am fairly fit, can run 5 miles in 34 mins and average 9-9.5 minute miles for long runs up to 19miles although after that it gets unpredictable as to when I hit the wall!

I'm 36 years old, 5 10" and am now down just below 13st after losing 10lbs since november. Still hope to get to my target weight of 12.5st. As a freelance musician, teacher and studio engineer/producer I find it hard to train regularly as my schedule changes from week to week. Missed a lot of the long runs on the Hal Higdon program because of gigs and recording work.

Anyway, onto my first log. Did an 11 miler yesterday in 1:30 Felt great and much more enjoyable with the warmer weather coming in. Onto disc 5 of Michel Thomas french too, I'm glad I run quiet country roads where no one can hear my mis-pronounciations of the beautiful language:D

Cormac

http://myspace.com/thejutefactory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

tres bon travail
    yeah Michel Thomas is a legend, congrats on connemara and look forward to reading yours in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Good going zeppe - I'm looking forward to the updates. Thats a great 5 mile time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi cormac best of luck with your training and log it was only a matter of time before you started one !. great time for the 5 miler ,i wouldnt be to concerned about the pace of your long runs as long as they are much slower then race pace they are mainly just to get the body used to being out on the road for long periods, i did the higdon programme as ya know and depending on which one ya do you will probably have race pace runs as well as long runs so the speed of the long runs becomes less important (as long as they are slow).any way best of with your training i will be starting back up for dublin as well shortly so i will be keeping in touch to see how things are going good luck sungod

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Great sunny day today with a little bit of a breeze and I ran a 5 mile in 34:26. Ran hardish but wasnt too tired, hopefully on course soon to break 32mins. These middle distance runs really appeal to me. Strapped for time at the moment so it looks like I'm only going to able to run 2-3 times a week. Will do a long one at the weekend..

Cormac

http://myspace.com/thejutefactory

What a day for running! Great weather with a slight breeze.
    Did a nice handy 11 miler. Felt great, relaxing run. Keeping my goal of running 15-20 miles a week 'til I start my program for the Dublin marathon.

Cormac

http://myspace.com/dupedmusic

• Advertisement

hi cormac just wondering where you do most of your running and how much on each surface, road,grass,trail,track? i do most of mine on road and trying to vary it now as it cant be good for me long term

Hi Sungod, I do all my running on road. Apparently running on concrete surfaces is really bad for you, at least tarmac has a bit of give. No real problems except my knee that one time which is fine now. No shin problems either although I'm only running 15-20 miles a week now.

Ran 6 miles today, handy, although felt a bit tired having only slept about 4 hours last night. Late gig and early waking baby:D

Cormac

12 miles today in 1:30. Great warm day. Had no energy, think I'm coming down with something although the massive homemade Mexican plus apple pie and choc ice cream on saturday probably didnt help:D

dont think thats what they mean by carb loading:D

hi cormac just thought i post some of the races that are local to you over the summer i will be doing as many of them as possible.i enjoy entering the local races even though most are quite short compared to your marathon training but they will help with improving your speed and its good to just get in to whole atmosphere of racing

sun 11th may clonmel 10k 2:00pm
    sat 17th may waterford-tramore 7.5 m 7:30pm
    mon 2nd june tourannena 5k 7:30pm
    fri 6th june rathgormack 5m 7:30pm
    fri 13th june ras na rinne , ring 6m 8:00pm
    fri 20th june clashmore 5m 8:00pm
    fri 27th june dromana 5m 8:00pm
    fri 4th july ballyneale 5k 7:30pm
    fri 11th july glaxo/smithkline,dungarvan 5m 8:00pm
    fri 18th july piltown 10k 7:30pm
    fri 1st august ballymacarberry 5m 7:30pm
    fri 8th august carrick-on-suir 5m 7:30pm
    fri 15th august ardmore 5m 7:30pm
    sat 30th august garda squash club wat-tramore 8-10m
    sun 7th sept half marathon RSC waterford
    sun 16th nov brickeys,dungarvan 5m 11:00am

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Sungod, hopefully I'll get around to a few of them..

A quiet week running wise. Came down with a summer flu and was out of action a while. Got back to it last night with a 5 miler. Ran with our dog Zeppe(a mad collie/spaniel mix). Good fun although he was knackered by the end, finally I've found a way to wear him out!

Cormac

Wow, havent updated in a while. Been really busy and arrived in Florida a week ago to stay with my girlfriends family. Anyway, back to running, ran my normal 20-25 miles a week at home before I departed.

Doing a lot of running here in Florida. Running an average of 5-6 miles every day for the last week. Cant really run any more than that, its 90F and over 80% humidity, crazy...:D Enjoying the US lifestyle, the people are great, pretty cheap too and some good bars. Here for another 3 weeks too. Its supposed to top 95F at the weekend, feck!

Cormac

good stuff cormac , sounds great going for a run when your on holidays and not trying to cram one in before or after work. have a good one they wont know ya when you get back ,running around portlaw with a tan telling everyone to " have a nice day"!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm having some relaxing time here....One other thing which is great for runners is the great road surface and the courtesy of the US drivers for cyclists and pedestrians. They slow right down, give a wide berth and normally wave too.
    Cars fly past me at 50MPH on the back roads in Portlaw, inches from me. They dont give a s***e. Everyone seems to be in a ridiculous hurry. Feckers, get a couple of state troopers on the roads in Ireland and it would DEFINITELY slow down some of the muppets. Those guys are badass and you do not want to be pulled over by them:D Rant over, phewwwww

Did a 6 mile yesterday in 40m. Ran at 8pm and was quite nice if a bit sticky, no wind at all. Just finished a 3 mile this afternoon. 95F in the shade and humidity was ridiculous. They really need rain here, they've had none in 2 months and all the vegetation is like tinder. Well, they might soon, the hurricane season has just started:eek:

7 miles today in 55 mins. Handy run, roasting as usual here, mid 90s. There's no way I could run a marathon here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Just saw this thread. Good luck with the training for Dublin marathon.

I'm more than a little jealous of you Florida training. Having said that my experience was considerably different to yours when I was there (Panama City Beach) in November. On the one hand the police pulled me for giving a guy in a SUV (who almost killed me when I was cycling) the finger and on the other hand when a redneck in a pick up yelled "I want to fcuk your butthole" and threatened to rape me in other ways on a lonely street, they wouldn't do anything. :confused:

Still I loved florida and will be back there (though not on that particular street) this year.

Jeez, sorry to hear about your experiences Hunnymonster. The cops are f**kin scary here, and even worse in Georgia so I hear where I'm going next week(wish me luck).
    There are a LOT of rednecks in Florida, especially the more rural areas where I'm staying. My local K-Mart has some serious characters, mullets galore, guys in wife beater t-shirts. One thing I hate about the south in particular is the crazy Christians and gun culture.
    Still thinking of moving over though. Looking at New hampshire and Maine, much more civilised and way cheaper than Ireland.
    As for running, its gonna hit 100F today:eek: Not sure if I'm gonna make it out today....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I can look back and laugh at it now. After all, you go on holidays to experience a different way of life and Florida was certainly different. We also spent some time in Atlanta. Different again but naturally more Florida and NY. It was my partners first trip to USA and we took in Florida, NY and San Fran. 3 completely different places. I probably feel most at home in Massachusetts but that could be because I've been going there for years.

3 miles each the last 2 days. Did a world record on my final mile today, got chased by a mean pitbull, f***er:eek:

• Advertisement

5.5 miles in 40 mins today. Trying to build up some mileage before we go on a Mexican cruise on thursday.

zeppe wrote: »
    Trying to build up some mileage before we go on a Mexican cruise on thursday.

one day i want to say the above sentence:D

Ha! Pretty sweet alright Sungod... realise it can sound smug sometimes. Feck it, its my first holiday in 3 years!

This cruise was bought for us by my girlfriends dad. Its just a serious 4 day food and drinkfest. You can get any kind of grub at any time day or night on the ship and its all inclusive, phew ...Plus we explore Mexico for one day, planning on seeing a lot of Mayan temples and artifacts.

Well back to running, another 6 miles yesterday(tues) and hope to do the same today.

your dead right cormac , enjoy every second of it . its something i would love to do, and i will one day all going well

Advertisement