Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Wheelers Randonne

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi all,saw a few people mention this in another thread,heres a few more details for those interested.
    Randonne 2008 - Sunday 27th April 2008 ( 110 km or 70km)

In aid of the Irish Hospice Foundation, Orwell Wheelers are running their Annual Randonne on Sunday 27th April. Starting from the Scout Den in Ballinteer the route and distance are aimed at providing everybody thinking of doing the Wicklow 200 or 100 with an ideal training spin.
    The cost of entering on the day is only €15.

Details:

9:00 a.m. riders sign in at the Scout Den in Ballinteer. The den is behind the church in Ballinteer.

Riders will then take the following route which will be clearly marked:

» Lamb Doyles to Stepaside and Enniskerry
    » Powerscourt Waterfall
    » Up the back road to Glencree
    » Left at the top of Glencree and on up to the top of Sally Gap
    » Left at Sally Gap over Luggala and descending to the cross roads.
    » Left takes you on the 70 km route over Ballinastoe woods. ( Same as the 110km route)
    » Right takes you on the 110km route via Roundwood and on to Laragh.
    » Left in Laragh towards Rathdrum and after approx 1km left again just before the bridge.
    » This take you via the Vale of Clara to Moneystown and then via Tomriland Cross
    Roads to Roundwood.
    » Roundwood up over the shoulder of Djouce mountain to Enniskerry
    ( Same as the 70km route)
    » From Enniskerry back via Stepaside to Lamb Doyles and the finish at the Scout Den.

There will be a big mug of coffee and some snacks at the finish and a pat on the back for a job well done.

The route as you can see takes in the first and last sections of the Wicklow 200 so will be ideal preparation for anybody doing either the 100 or 200 routes in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I'll be there (weather dependent) on a silver and black Cannondale Six13.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'll be there (tiredness dependant!) on the new Focus -if I can find the place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

map is here.

this looks good to me. how many would take part in this kind of thing?
    what's a randonné?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

niceonetom wrote: »
    what's a randonné?

It's a french term:

randonnée f faire une ~ à pied/skis/bicyclette to go for a hike/cross-country skiing/a bicycle ride

Part of the club, should be there too :)

so it's not a race then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Definitely not.

map is here.

this looks good to me. how many would take part in this kind of thing?
    what's a randonné?

it's a non-competatitve event...

I put together a slightly more accurate route map last night... it's here

You up for doin it Tom?

yeah, i'm in :).

yeah, i'm in :).

Deadly! 8.15 from the dog track?

Anyone else who fancies it, just be there :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'll be there alright. I've just joined Orwell as it happens.

• Advertisement

Deadly! 8.15 from the dog track?

Anyone else who fancies it, just be there :)

okey dokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

im a member of orwell so ill be there

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Was thinking of having a go at this but not sure about the distance. Last summer I went back to the bike after a long time away; I'm now biking about 100 km a week for work but have never tried close to 70 km at one go.
    Is it worth having a go?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

How long do you guys think it would take to finish the race?
    I want to do it, but i promised some friends i would go karting and i have already paid for the karting!
    My karting session is at 3pm.
    Damn it!!!

erizo wrote: »
    How long do you guys think it would take to finish the race?
    I want to do it, but i promised some friends i would go karting and i have already paid for the karting!
    My karting session is at 3pm.
    Damn it!!!

it's not a race! i've been told!

there's a 70km option you'd have time for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

I know it's not a race, sorry!
    But i wanted to know from older experiences in this event how long does people take to do it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

We tend to do 100 to 130 kms on sundays,leave at 930am sharp and tend to get home around one thirty or two,and thats not really hammering it,and stopping for a few punctures,as stated above its not a race and you have the 70km option,id say youll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Can we just turn up and register/pay tomorrow morning? Is 9am time enough to turn up or should it be earlier to allow for registration/payment?

Whoop. Well done all - any other boardsies that took part? I thought I saw el tonto but turned out to be another Wilier Mortirolo- absolutely gorgeous looking bike. Now for some pasta.

Afraid I just wasn't in a fit state to do it today -been far too long a weekend :(

afaik El Tonto and Niceonetom were both there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i did it today - 110k, took me 5.5 hours. the climb up to sally gap almost killed me! Chain came off going up the sharp hill on the way out of enniskerry so i lost the main group which made it a bit tougher but I survived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Thinkfirst

What a nice day for this, I really enjoyed it. Well organiced and nice route on very quiet roads, also doing sally gap at the beginning is very good idea :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Great day for it. Myself and niceonetom came home in 4:12. Was up with the front bunch until the start of the Sally Gap and then got my fat ass dropped. Got into another group with niceonetom near the top and it grew to around 12 people near Roundwood. We left them behind and bridged up to another bunch on the way back. Suffered a bit with foot pain on the way back. My feet tend to swell in the warm weather and I left it way too late to loosen my shoes. Good showing of other boardsies there. Rogerb was last seen leading the fast group onto the Sally Gap. I presume he got home long before me. I met Raam and Mrs. Raam at the start, but didn't see them again for the rest of the day, so I'm not sure how they got on.
    blorg wrote: »
    I thought I saw el tonto but turned out to be another Wilier Mortirolo- absolutely gorgeous looking bike. Now for some pasta.

I spotted it too. I was telling everyone it was the first time I'd seen another one. I was looking out for you, but didn't spot you before we all rolled out.

Forgot to mention one incident. A group of four of us were coming down Luggala when a deer ran out in front of us. Came very close to the lead rider. Never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Good showing of other boardsies there. Rogerb was last seen leading the fast group onto the Sally Gap. I presume he got home long before me. I met Raam and Mrs. Raam at the start, but didn't see them again for the rest of the day, so I'm not sure how they got on.

Good show lads. I had originally planned on doing the 110km and with Mrs Raam sticking to the 70km where she could hopefully latch on to a group at a similiar pace, but I saw the group was really thinning out so I opted to do the 70km with the mrs instead so she wasn't lonely. Turns out it was a good decision because we met no one on the way back to Balinteer. What great weather we had! On another note, my bike sounds like a complete rust bucket. Time for a service.

great spin today. quite impressed with myself tbh :o.
    Forgot to mention one incident. A group of four of us were coming down Luggala when a dear ran out in front of us. Came very close to the lead rider. Never seen that before.

i was right behind the lead fella when that deer ran out. i'd say the deer crossed his path with about 4 feet to spare. scared the shít out of me - i'm bloody glad the guy in front of me didn't jam on because i would have plowed into him and we were doing at least 50kph at the time. could have been messy.

we can't get these boards jerseys soon enough, apparently there were several of us there, but how could we have known that? :p

Damn, tired legs = dodgy spelling.

I spotted it too. I was telling everyone it was the first time I'd seen another one. I was looking out for you, but didn't spot you before we all rolled out.
    I was a bit late; most people had gone already by the time I got there. Must have been past 9:30 before we set off. Headed out with a guy from Orwell that went at pretty much exactly the same pace as me; we caught up on a fair number, including the Wilier guy going up to Sally Gap. Cycling time was 4:12:10, must be a standard boards pace. Now all we have to think of is going around that for another lap (!?) and we are set for the W200.

Advertisement