Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bigger Turbo

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I currently have a 02 Bora that has been remapped to 140bhp. It is originally a 100bhp SE model but the owner before had the remap done. Summer is coming and i am considering fitting a bigger turbo in. Will this give the car much more power and leave it more safe than it is now?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

hi i used to have a 100nhp tdi golf (same engine) firstly i would say 140 is a bit optimistic,i had my golf mapped by the best TDI tuner(my opinion and others) in the country and it Rolling roaded at 130 on the button in westward,it was a fantastic map,ridiculously smooth power band and zero smoke,also really changed the engine as the 100pd is a bit lifeless to say the least.

Now as for bigger turbos,you can indeed fit a bigger turbo but at the very least you will need an new manifold and a front mounted intercooler to get the true benefits,i know a few guys who have done it - its not a cheap thing to do either,and after all that work you will need to have it remapped again to get the full potential from all the mods and get an uprated clutch to handle the torque,if i was going down this route i would sell it and start with a 130pd engined bora or golf as its a much more tunable engine and you have the added benefit of having some sort of traction control which you will need!! .the most you could hope for from the bora is maybe 200bhp at a push and after spending a lot of money!

Sorry for pouring cold water on your idea,just being honest.

check out

vagdrivers.net
    uk-mkivs.net
    tdiclub.com

for loads more info and sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

agree with tossy, putting a bigger trbo into a bora is a bit of a waste of mney, save your money and get a more powerfull turbo car that wll be more capable of handling bigger turbos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

the bora is a solid engine , though tbh you need a bigger lump , tdi engine isnt worth modding really , a 3.2 R32 engine would be ideal but meh , the pats are there if you need them , with a full turbo over-haul you looking at 40-50 hp gain before having to upgrade psitons , rods etc

i think suggesting the guy sell his TDI bora and buy a V6 is a lil over the top.

He obviously has a TDI for a reason and wants a TDI.if you are going to buy any VAG engine and throw shed loads of money at it the 1.8T is the clear choice,there are many modded turbo/supercharged R32s out there but very few reliable ones,the main pioneers of R32 tuning EIP went belly up as a result of unreliability!

I know of plenty of modded TDI golfs putting out over 220bhp but most of them are the 130 lump,i know of one 100pd bora up north pushing close to 200bhp,you would have to be talking serious HP gains before changing pistons,main things are turbo,front mount,injectors,clutch and a good mapper! all of the above to a 130 pd engine will see 220 easily and mountains of torques!!

I would suggest leave your bora remapped and get a decent K&N panel filter to compliment it,this is the exact set up i had on my golf and it grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Well im nearly sure the tuirbo is on its way out of the car at the minute so im going to have to put a turbo in it nyways. So would putting a bigger one than the one in it now nd a another remap do me any gud or will that pure pressure on the clutch and manifold?

Id rather not sell becasue the car is sitting the way i want it and im jus curious about a new turbo

• Advertisement

a bigger turbo and remap would make some difference but you would be wasting money without fitting a FMIC too,maybe the current map is a being a little hard on the turbo as some cowboy mappers jsut turn up fueling and boost ot the hilt!!

Any details on the car? like who remapped it and what milegae is on it?

Am i bought it not so long ago like. I know it was mapped in Ballamena thats bout it like. 99000 miles on it. Whats an FMIC? Front mount intercooler?

yes front mount intercooler,your bora will currently have a side mounted intercooler.

Check out this website www.chippdire.com and give joe a ring his number is on the website -he is the man to talk too.at the very least i would suggest getting a more appropiate map on it to ease the pressure on the turbo,does it smoke on acceleration?

Thanks for the info!
    No it doesnt reek black smoke when i accelerate! I made sue of that when i bought it

Advertisement