Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.25 billion Dublin centre project plan

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

looking at the 2 photos on the link in the previous post i think it looks pretty nice.....a lot better than what its like now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Big Improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Much better...

The other design looked truly awful...

I've got nothing against wanting to modernise the city and build fascinating new buildings with original architecture... but the other design was out of place entirely and probably would've ruined O'Connell street even further...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Why can't we, for once, build a building that isn't unoriginally modern. Does an abundance of glass and brickless panels really look nice? I think they should build a nice, grand, historic type building that suits the area? It doesnt have to look old and dark like dorset street type buildings. The kind of buildings you see around the south city centre (College greenish).

Google Foster Place and you'll see the type of architecture I mean. Hopefully it wont be full of stupid, knacker-magnetising shops like the rest of O'Connell Street. Arcades, Fast Food and Newsagents on our premier street. Greeaat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Why can't we, for once, build a building that isn't unoriginally modern. Does an abundance of glass and brickless panels really look nice? I think they should build a nice, grand, historic type building that suits the area? It doesnt have to look old and dark like dorset street type buildings. The kind of buildings you see around the south city centre (College greenish).

Blocks of glass seem to be the new modern aesthetic...

I don't know why. Glass can look nice, but I'm beginning to think it's over-used...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Blocks of glass seem to be the new modern aesthetic...

I don't know why. Glass can look nice, but I'm beginning to think it's over-used...

I think you're very right but O'Connell Street just isn't the place for this style of modern architecture in my opinion, it holds to much of our history to by knocked down and redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I think you're very right but O'Connell Street just isn't the place for this style of modern architecture in my opinion, it holds to much of our history to by knocked down and redesigned

I think they should build mud huts and tents. I don't know why cities needed the big older style buildings of years gone by when we had perfectly suited crap. Down with moderisation. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

My problem with dublin architectually is that there is no system in the buildings that are built. Take Rathmines road for example, buildings are set back, higgledy piggledy shops sticking out everywhere in the front gardens of grand dublin homes (which are now flats), hue council blocks randomly dooted across the town.

190%2520Lwr.%2520Rathmines%2520Rd_1.jpg The whole street is lined with buildings ranging from 2 to 5 stories of great dublin homes. If these could be done up it would look great.

Dum_zelene_dvere.jpg Again, random modern buildings jammed in.

373898623_885d94398c.jpg Rathmines has some incredible buildings that are not utilised in any way.

rathmines_townhall2_sml.jpg 2856013789_2aea7f74a8.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

O'Reilly's €1bn O'Connell Street scheme gets green light
    Neil Callanan

Plans for a €1bn retail scheme at O'Connell Street in Dublin have been given the go-ahead by Dublin City Council. Joe O'Reilly's Chartered Land has been told it can develop its Dublin Central scheme, which will cover a site stretching from O'Connell Street to Moore Street and Henry Street to Parnell Street. John Lewis has already been secured as the anchor shop for the development by letting agent Bannon.

The council granted permission subject to 32 conditions, including a stipulation that there be free public access to the proposed 'Sky Park' and that only 769 parking spaces be provided.

O'Reilly will have to pay the council nearly €9.5m in contributions before work is allowed to proceed and will also have to pay nearly €2.3m towards the construction of Metro North. He will have to pay €50,000 to the council to carry out a "comprehensive traffic study on the operation of the proposed car park in city centre street network". This study will take place about six months after the opening of the development.

The council decided to allow the development after Chartered Land submitted changes to its original plans in October, one of which was that the Sky Park would actually face the sun rather than away from it. The height of the building was also reduced, along with the heights of other buildings.

O'Reilly's assets include stakes in Dundrum Town Centre, The Pavilions in Swords, the Ilac Centre in Dublin 1 and the new retail scheme at South King Street in Dublin 2. He is also developing offices in the city's south docks. Through his holdings in Castlethorn Construction, he is involved in the Adamstown development and the Rathborne scheme at Ashtown in west Dublin.

December 21, 2008

http://www.tribune.ie/business/article/2008/dec/21/oreillys-1bn-oconnell-street-scheme-gets-green-lig/

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The council decided to allow the development after Chartered Land submitted changes to its original plans in October, one of which was that the Sky Park would actually face the sun rather than away from it.

I'm going to claim credit for that one as surely nobody else could have spotted such a subtle flaw in the design :D

Talk about submitting a ridiculous plan A just so that plan B will look positively brilliant :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

donvito99 wrote: »
    Rathmines has some incredible buildings that are not utilised in any way.
    you show the town hall and the library, both in use for education and as a library. Sure there are buildings that have "civic pride" problems, but I imagine there are very few buildings in Rathmines that aren't in use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I remember there being controversy about the number of parking spaces. 769 still seems like a lot - but does anyone know the original figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

spacetweek wrote: »
    I remember there being controversy about the number of parking spaces. 769 still seems like a lot - but does anyone know the original figure?

Advertisement