Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which new Car - comfortable and best possible MPG?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently driving a 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI, which i really love. But as it already has around 150K on the clock i am currently looking for a new car.

I am doing ion excess of 30K (mostly motorway) miles a year, so the car has to give me the best possible MPG and be as comfortable as possible. My current 406 gives me about 51 mpg, and that's what I would at least expect from any new car.

I am currently considering the Skoda Octavia TDI, as it seems to give around 56 mpg and I quite the look and reliability of it as well. I have driven the 407, and it is not an option. Like the look, but hate the drive. It would def. be a step down from my 406.

Any other recommendations? I am living in the North, so VRT, Insurance or Motortax are not a consideration. I will have up to 18K pounds to spend.

Cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

how bout an avensis - the fully equipped models in the UK are pretty good and nice to drive. reliable. with 18 K you could get a really nice 2l td

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

The new Subaru legacy Diesel is about to arrive and I think its in the north already dealer tells me it will do 1000 Km to a tank so that has to be economical plus you will be getting AWD and so no more under steer or torque steer like you get from front wheel drive car diesels.I think they delayed the launch here because of the VRT changes in July but i will be interested to take a spin in one and may even consider a change if I get a good trade in allowance on my Forester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Keep the 406? With the sort of driving you're doing wear and tear will be minimal for the mileage. I have over 170k on a 2003 petrol Laguna my driving is probably more wearing on the car than your driving as only about 10% is on M-ways. Yet I have replaced very little eg I only recently replaced the original brake pads :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Consider the new Ford Mondeo. Very comfortable seats and a lovely drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

How about the 1.6D Volvo S40. It is supposed to be extremely comfortable to drive and the MPG seems very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The new Subaru legacy Diesel is about to arrive

Cheapest one is £20k without any extras
    dealer tells me it will do 1000 Km to a tank

He would, wouldn't he? ;)

Advertisement