Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lag Switching

• 22-04-2008 8:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Well heads,

Had my usual weekend retreat on Xbox Live, usually playing GRAW or something. I went into about 3 rooms this weekend where I had no doubt in my mind that the guys playing were using lag switches. I was emptying full clips at point blank range and they still wouldn't die. This happens to me once in a while which is understandable given the sh1teness of our broadband infrastructure in Ireland in comparison to the rest of the world, but not at the rate it was happening over the weekend.

After each match the lads I was playing with would start slagging me at my inability to hit them which was a clear indication to me that they were cheating, still and all we still beat them.

Do any of ye use lag switches online?. I'm just wondering has this become an acceptable trait now among Xbox-livers?. I love playing online, its great craic though this cheating bullcrap is ruining it on me. I'm actually at the stage where I'm half thinking of putting one together just to teach these fools a lesson...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

What's a lag switch? How does it work and what does it do?

I was talking about cheating with some English lads the other day on COD4, and one said that on the PC, some of his mates have modded the game so that the players are bright yellow - You could spot a sniper miles off. I'd imagine it'd be a trickier to do on the Xbox, though.

But there are definately too many cheaters out there, I've nothing against being beaten, but like, seeing the KillCam in COD4 show some player making shots through buildings to get you and seeing his kills 50, deaths 0 score, is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Dont even know what a lag switch is so I guess the answer is No I've never used and I defo don't think is it acceptable for any kind of cheating online.

I know a lot of people are cheating but hey if they are sad enough to need to cheat then let them at it but it is defo ruining the live experience....

Yeah. But at the same time when you meet a few decent gamers who have the same on-time as you, you can get a great few private games going, free from cheaters and noisy 13-year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

afaik its a modified network cable that basically you put some kind of switch on so that you can interrupt your internet connection while playing online. If you do it when someone is about to shoot you its like freezing time as the game will stop while it trys to reconnect but you can still move around and when you turn the switch back on it will reconnect hopefully leaving the other guy dead. Look on youtube for videos about this. Explains allot of amazing kills on live where i see someone unload into them then as far as i see they get off one shot and im dead but in the replay im just standing there and there unloading into me. Up untill now i just assumed it was the lag to american servers but now im starting to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Yeah its basically just a switch that induces a "freeze" period of about 3-10 seconds where it appears that your standing still to everyone else when really you are running around shooting at them. They a very simply put together by attached a basic light switch to you ethernet cable.

I know there are lots of people using them, in GRAW for instance you will find that you never have lag problems with noobies, but with the more experienced clan players they lag all over the shop. Its a complete joke and waste of time. I don't mind getting beat at all by a player who is better than me put not by a cheater.

The fact that our broadband over here is slower than the the likes of the 15Mbps US/UK broadband means that they already have a 1 second advantage over us without even using lag switches. That is say in COD4 they will actually see you 1 second before you see them which is a bitch, when you add a lag switch to that flaw it means that we are fcuked altogether...

Glad to see there are no Irish heads using them anyway, leave it to the yanks the bunch of tossers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Is that true?? I would be surprised as I have won my fair share in games against Americans on COD4 and I would imagine that wouldnt be the case it there was a 1 sec difference...

Thinking about it I dont know how that would work, how would they see me if I hadnt moved there yet?

Maybe Im just being stupid... quite likely when it comes to these kind of things

There's loads of videos on the topic now I've checked youtube. Mostly the same idiot-vid, y'know, people just recording any random gameplay, but some good ones about how they work, what they do pros and cons.

Apparantly they're quite difficult to cheat with as everyone lags and players just randomly jump around, in shooting games, at least. You get booted from most games immediately when you use one that isn't done correctly and if you get reported for it and the reports are true it's a suspension/ban.

So it seems there just used by bored arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think its closer to 100-200ms delay between here and the states.

Advertisement