Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siskins and swallows ?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Is it unusual for the siskins to be here so long? I'm in County Cork and the swallows arrived around the 12 April as usual, yet I still have 3 siskins every day on the peanut feeder. Never known them stay around this late, would they be staying to breed maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

What part of Cork are you in? Siskins go down to coastal and low lying areas in the winter and return to the hills an mountains in the spring to breed, as far as I remember. We have them all year round I think. If you are nearer the sea then, you would think they are seasonal. The usual caveat as regards to my memory status and age are to be observed in this reply!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Siskins are resident breeders throughout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Siskins are resident breeders throughout Ireland.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised. We have lots of connifer plantations nearby so may be they will breed locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

boneless wrote: »
    The usual caveat as regards to my memory status and age are to be observed in this reply!! :D

We are near the mountains and conifer forests by the Cork/Kerry border so I guess they are here to stay hopefully.

Now you've made me Google the word "Caveat" I'm going to use it every day from now on lol

Advertisement