Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Build during construction slow down

• 22-04-2008 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am to start building a 3200 sq ft home in the next month or two. I am curious to know from others who are starting to build now, has there been much of reduction in labour costs since the end of last year.

I will carry out the groundworks, foundations and all flooring myself so I would be most interested in,

Blocklayers (price per block)
    Carpenter (roof-1st & 2nd fixings)
    Plasterer
    Plumber (incl. wood pellet boiler & underfloor heating)
    Electrician.

Also what I found good on other threads is a breakdown of build costs and construction periods

Construction: Masonary Cavity
    Size: 3200sq ft
    Construction period: Hopefully 18 months
    Price: 70-75 euro per sq ft (not incl. site - Thanks Dad)

Any help or comments on this would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Hi,
    Have just started a few weeks ago myself. Began pricing about a year ago but due to planning delays didn't get the go ahead until recently.

Most of the tradesmen i'm using are now nearly half price from a year ago. The brickie for example was 2 euro a block and now is 1 euro. Now I still shopped around and good still get them all cheaper, but the guys I want are pretty much the best around (carlow).
    A comment someone said to me recently was that with the construction slowdown, it has got rid of the "cowboys". The quality trades people are still as busy with the one off houses so they won't be as cheap as the "cowboy" with no work.

Either way I think you might have to pay a few bob more for a good job but it will still be cheaper than building last year.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement