Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Van

• 22-04-2008 9:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

Off to UK to buy our new van on Thursday :D Has anyone imported a new vehicle from UK? We have been advised by Irish Revenue that we can claim the UK VAT back and I am trying to sort that out at the moment.

Roll on Thursday!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 adria1

Good luck !!
    What are you getting????

Kind regards

Maddie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Thanks a mill. We are getting a Compass Rambler 120, it's less than 6m so we are downsizing with a vengeance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not too sure about motorhones but with cars if you buy new, or less then 6 months/6000km on the clock, then you have to pay VAT here again.

You can buy ex VAT in the UK if you can prove you are exporting it, may save a lot of hassle later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not too sure about motorhones but with cars if you buy new, or less then 6 months/6000km on the clock, then you have to pay VAT here again.

You can buy ex VAT in the UK if you can prove you are exporting it, may save a lot of hassle later on.

Do you not have to pay the VAT somewhere either way within the EU regarles of age/mileage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Managed to get on to UK Revenue and got two different stories :( Apparently the easiest route is to get the supplier to have the van zero rated with Customs in Dover, then he doesn't pay VAT and I just pay VAT in Ireland. Otherwise, I have to pay VAT in UK, pay VAT in Ireland, if teh supplier agrees, I can then send him the proof that I paid VAT in Ireland and he can then claim his VAT back from UK Revenue :( Can't get the guy I have been dealing with as he is on holidays till tomorrow, hopefully he will agree to sort out the VAT as UK Revenue says I cant claim the it back from them directly, so I will have to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I thought that alright. I would say you will end up paying the VAT in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

check for flood damage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

*Kol* wrote: »
    I thought that alright. I would say you will end up paying the VAT in the UK.

Unless it's different for motorhomes and assuming the OP is buying new. Then they'll have to pay VAT in Ireland aswell as the UK, thats the way it is with cars.

OP, best bet is to call the revenue here and ask them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just to clarify:

On a "new purchase (under 6 months and/or 6000 km) you have to pay VAT in Ireland at the Irish rate.

You are entitled to claim back your VAT that you paid on the purchase in another EU county.

The question is, if the seller will be set up to sell you your van VAT free (less hassle) or if you have to claim it back afterwards and wait for ages to get your outlay back.

I have no idea though what's involved either way when it comes to paperwork, declarations, etc and how to best get it done.

Advertisement