Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker shorting out

Options
  • 22-04-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

I spent several hours cleaning the oven on my cooker at the weekend. I used a caustic spray on the lining and wiped clean with a wet cloth. Now the oven shorts out when switched on. The problem is only with the oven functions, grill and gas ignition all work fine. I have since removed the light cover and bulb. Any ideas how to cure this? The service engineers want a lot of money to come out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

It's possible you've dislodged one of the elements and the connector is shorting to the metal of the oven.
    You can remove the oven linings on most ovens, if you can then check that the elements on each side are sitting correctly, not too far in or out.
    If ther'es nothing obvious then the oven will have to come out and the back will have to come off, which is probably a job for the service man.

It's also possible that it's still wet and may dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I'd leave it 24hrs and try again, sounds like liquid has got into the wrong place, let it dry out and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thanks for the replies. There is nothing like the threat of having to pay some guy £110 to focus the mind. I turned off the power to the cooker and removed the back panel. There were three elements and a light. I disconnected each in turn, switching the power on between disconnections until it stopped tripping my fuses. With the short element isolated, I turned on the other elements and that dried out the problem. 45 minutes and £110 saved.

Advertisement