Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Planning Permission

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Can anyone help? There is a very very old barn on the Ballymullen Road. Surely it must be a protected site. However there is now a big building sign (Farnes Construction) on the site. Searches of the planning dept have revealed nothing. I notice part of the roof is now missing. Maybe I'm wrong and it is just an old old building, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is it the application below that the site refers to?? It says Forr Con rather than Farnes however.

File Number:

Local Authority:Tralee Town CouncilDate Received:08/02/2006Type:PERMISSIONSubmissions By:n/a.
    Due Date:22/08/2006Decision:CONDITIONALDecision Date (MO):01/08/2006Application Status:APPEALEDGrant Date:n/aInitial FI Request:n/aInitial FI Received:n/aNumber of Appeals: 1Applicant Name:Forr-Con Ltd. & Michael Scanlon & Sons Ltd.Correspondence Address:n/a.
    Development Description:for a mixed use commercial and residential development consisting of 36 no. apartments and 4 no. office blocks at Ballymullen Road, Cloon, Garryruth, Tralee, Co. Kerry. The proposed development includes the demolition of all existing structures and provision of 4 no. office blocks ranging in height from 2-5 storeys with a gross floor area of 4,529 sq. m. The proposed apartments will be provided in 3 no. 4 storey structures and consist of 33 no. 2 bedroom apartments and 3 no. 1 bedroom apartments. The proposed development includes a basement car park, the provision of a boardwalk/amenity walk along the River Lee, the provision of a new vehicular entrance to Ballymullen Road and all ancillary site development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GangerMan

I wonder where this can be? The only barnlike building I can think of is where there was a cash and carry a long time ago, just before Lamb's Terrace (or just after Nancy Myles Pub)?

Would be interested if you can point out where in Ballymullen it is as I can't take a walk round there just now myself :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is it the application below that the site refers to?? It says Forr Con rather than Farnes however.

I'm not sure, ongarboy. I've checked that application on-line and the planning website allows no further information.....makes me wonder.

GangerMan wrote: »
    I wonder where this can be? The only barnlike building I can think of is where there was a cash and carry a long time ago, just before Lamb's Terrace (or just after Nancy Myles Pub)?

Would be interested if you can point out where in Ballymullen it is as I can't take a walk round there just now myself :(.

Yes the old cash and carry is the building - Lamb's. It's kind of hidden from view as it's gable end points towards the street.

Interesting. I checked Farnesconstuction.ie website and they listed a large mixed use development at Ballymullen, Tralee as one of their projects for completion in 2009. As they were happy to publicise it on their website, perhaps you could contact them for further information or clarification on exact location and what is involved in the development.

• Advertisement

thanks ongar - followed that up, but all I get is a generalised outline. I'd really like to know if the old barn (cash n carry) is down for demolition and if it is a listed building.

I googled the Record of Protected Structures and the place you mention does not seem to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

How come nearly all new builds these days seem to be office blocks and apartments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

How come nearly all new builds these days seem to be office blocks and apartments!!

And multi story car parks ! - it seems to be a Lee Strand thing.:D

ongarboy wrote: »
    File Number:
    Local Authority:Tralee Town CouncilDate Received:08/02/2006Type:PERMISSIONSubmissions By:n/a.
    Due Date:22/08/2006Decision:CONDITIONALDecision Date (MO):01/08/2006Application Status:APPEALEDGrant Date:n/aInitial FI
    etc etc......
    Yes I think so. This is what I know;
    a) The old barn was Lambs and used to be a cash and carry
    b) it is extremely old
    c) the roof is slowly dissappearing
    d) finf information on line at Kerry CoCo is not easy - if you click for further info, there is NONE Available!! - unlike most other applications.
    e) No it does not appear to be 'listed'
    f) Is is possible to just pull it down without anyone saying anything?
    g) why can I not get more info from Kerry CoCO.

anyway

• Advertisement

You go in to the planning dept and ASK.:D:D. And PAY for the privilige, I'd imagine:rolleyes:

You go in to the planning dept and ASK.:D:D. And PAY for the privilige, I'd imagine:rolleyes:

Pay?? with all (most) planning applications you can see full details on-line - drawings site plans etc. It is public information, you can check it out here; http://www.kerrycoco.ie/planning/searchintro.asp

It is free, and you don't have to walk. The point is that info on this particular planning application is not available on line, I wonder why? There may be a simple answer. But will the barn have been destroyed in the meantime.

Hmmmmm. Suspicious, methinks. Brown envelopes, anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There was a large development that got planning this week in tralee,i read it in the independant on sunday, not sure if it was the one across from edward court apartments or where dennys is.Id be thinking its across from edward court though.

The article in this weekends papers was referring to the 200million development at Austin Stacks Park/John Mitchells site next to the train station. Both facilities will be relocated to Ballybeggan with a new 15000 seater stadium constructed out there. The development in the former Stack stadium site will include shopping/offices and some residential accomodation. It says it will create 1000 jobs which would be great for Tralee. However, I wonder is there a need for additional shopping space. As successful as Manor is, there are still empty units by Woodies and also there are countless vacant units in town. The place across from the recently knocked down cinema has been idle since it was first built.

Advertisement