Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flexifuel VRT Catches

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Is there any catch buying a flexifuel volvo c30, it seems too good to be true. Shurly when i go to trade it in, it should be very good value considering ive got the VRT discount on purchase..

Is there any limit on the number of times this rebate can be got, i.e. if i trade in again next year will i get another rebate..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

you could have a job getting one before July I was told by a dealer that the v50 is pretty much out of stock for a few months so you might need to move quick.
    The s80 looks the best deal 38,450 now and 47,294 in july.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I wonder if these price increases on flexifuel cars will be reflected in the second hand prices in a couple of years...

If you buy your S80 now for €38,450 and then sell it to someone in a few years who thinks it cost €10k more, you might get a decent price for it.

Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

aidankk wrote: »
    Is there any catch buying a flexifuel volvo c30, it seems too good to be true. Shurly when i go to trade it in, it should be very good value considering ive got the VRT discount on purchase..

Is there any limit on the number of times this rebate can be got, i.e. if i trade in again next year will i get another rebate..

After 1st July 2008 the VRT rebate is being cut. Not sure what it is at the moment on the C30 or what it will be, but the max rebate on any car after July is €2,500 so you probably won't see the same rebate next year.

Catches are:
    Fuel Consumption is worse than the petrol equivalent
    Vehicles need servicing every 10,000km (20,000km on the petrol models) and Volvo dealers sure know how to charge.
    Boot space in the C30 is about the same as a Leyland Mini :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

R.O.R wrote: »
    After 1st July 2008 the VRT rebate is being cut. Not sure what it is at the moment on the C30 or what it will be, but the max rebate on any car after July is €2,500 so you probably won't see the same rebate next year.

Catches are:
    Fuel Consumption is worse than the petrol equivalent
    Vehicles need servicing every 10,000km (20,000km on the petrol models) and Volvo dealers sure know how to charge.
    Boot space in the C30 is about the same as a Leyland Mini :p

Fuel Consumption is worse than the petrol equivalent --> If your using normal petrol, then i believe its the same, (well from reading around here), but if you use the cheaper ethenol flexifuel its heavier, but then thats cheaper....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you buy your S80 now for €38,450 and then sell it to someone in a few years who thinks it cost €10k more, you might get a decent price for it.

The VRT saving is a bit over 8k, but compared to after July it is nearly 10k, if my calculation is correct:

€38,450 is current list including 15% VRT (half of 30%)
    €38,450*(1-0.15) = €32,683 without VRT
    €32,683/(1-0.30) = €46,689 with the 30% VRT

With the same base price and Band F the new price will be €32,683/(1-0.32 = €48,062)

At €38k it looks good value for money and I expect depreciation to be a lot less than a non-flexi fuel S80 (mind the S80 has quite high depreciation anyway)

Now's a good time to buy a Hybrid (Honda, Toyota, Lexus) if you don't mind that the fuel consumption those companies quote is a bit unrealistic :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

AudiChris wrote: »
    I wonder if these price increases on flexifuel cars will be reflected in the second hand prices in a couple of years...

Anyone any thoughts?

Volvo dealers dont expect to sell any flexi fuel s80 after july, but that is a volvo dealer telling a mate who gets a new s80 every 24 months.
    I am seriously thinking about this as I am thinking of changing my 02 s60. I wonder if you wait closer to the time limit will the volvo dealers give a better price on any flexi fuels they have on the forecourt...... as at that stage you will be able to get a 2.0D SE for the same price as a 2.0F.
    I would also imagine that the 2.0f would struggle with the size of that car I cannot find any decent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

tred wrote: »
    Fuel Consumption is worse than the petrol equivalent --> If your using normal petrol, then i believe its the same, (well from reading around here), but if you use the cheaper ethenol flexifuel its heavier, but then thats cheaper....

Published fuel consumption might be the same, but in real world situations it's worse (from experience), never mind if you're using E85.

Advertisement