Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gun

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

Just started pistol shooting and have joined a club in Kildare / Athy. Got my license today and pistol is on it's way in. Any recommendations on what kit I will need for shooting? - Lads in the club are very helpful / friendly and have donated some of their old kit to me (holster / belt / mags etc) but wondering 'bout best ear / eye protection, cleaning kits etc.

Also - going to take up clay shooting as well - any recommendations on a good all rounder shotgun?

Rgd.

SevenFive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

I know, I know, it's boring, but, I'd keep me spare mags in me pocket and spend the money on ammo!!

But to answer your question, I got a good rig from an online shop in Galway www.shoot.ie they do H&S stuff among others. The double velcro belts are really handy. I know CR Speed stuff is highly rated too. I use a cheap Uncle Mike's holster and it works fine for me.
    Happy shopping and happy shooting!!

Also a foot note:

Maybe you've got one already but just to let you know if you haven't bought a Glock you can trade your gun in for a Glock in places where they sell Glocks. Because, and I think I won't see one single contrary opinion posted here, Glocks are without doubt the very best, in every way, gun. Fit, finish, accuracy, nice grain in wood, intricate engraving, well choked, low recoil, non bio (for sensitive skin types), good for 1000m 2 inch groups, several accounts of taking a left and right Cape Buffalo. This applies no matter what discipline/quarry you shoot, even clays if you have a high or indeed overhead backstop.

Glock, no. 1, the choice of champions, the best a man can get, every little helps, quality at the right price, *insert preferred marketing slogan here*!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Glock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

And the most awful triggers known to mankind :D Like pulling a wet sponge with a rubber band.

I'm also sticking my neck/eyes/ears out here but I've never been a fan of the electronic Ear protection gizmos. I know some swear by them but I don't think I've ever been at a shoot in recent years where I haven't seen at least one shooter slapping his head, twiddling knobs or fumbling with batteries so they literally swear by them "f**king things!". I've only ever used cheap head phones, I recently had my hearing tested (just out of interest) and it was perfect for someone my age (I realise everyone's hearing differs).

I also, shock horror, often use DIY safety type goggles for practice and keep me good'uns for competition. But if you're rich, HiDefSpex, Wiley X and Oakleys come recommended.

Also Sevenfivecz, what gun did you buy was it a Glock? Well Sevenfivecz, was it?!
    And welcome to Ireland, I'm assuming from your name that you're from the Czech Republic and you're 75 years of age. Good luck with your Glock!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

rrpc wrote: »
    And the most awful triggers known to mankind :D Like pulling a wet sponge with a rubber band.

:eek:*G17 faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Not when you replace the standard trigger kit with a tuned and polished Novak setup with adjustable reset;)

The addition of a grip tape kit, tungsten recoil rod, ICE magwell and Dawson Precision adjustable fibre optic sights on a G34 make a seriously competive IPSC or target pistol:cool:

Pity the backstrap doesnt fit my hand which means that the above with five mags, extras and full spares kit is in Hilltop awaiting a discerning buyer:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rosahane wrote: »
    Not when you replace the standard trigger kit with a tuned and polished Novak setup with adjustable reset;)

Then it's not a Glock trigger anymore :D

replace the standard trigger...

:eek:*G17 faints again*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Also - going to take up clay shooting as well - any recommendations on a good all rounder shotgun?

Good shooting is all about gun fit. Spend you money on a well fitting shotgun, you could be lucky and find a Bettinsoli or Lanber are perfect for you, our you could find that the best fit is a top of the range gun from Beretta or Browning.

I found this book a great help with starting out with Clay shooting. Will let you know why fit is so important with shotguns http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=1904057438

Good luck with your new gun/guns

Then it's not a Glock trigger anymore :D

Ah! but it's still a Glock trigger, just hand finished to the optimum standard and with the ability to adjust the reset added:cool:

The interesting thing is that due to the new import restrictions here and the export restrictions in the US where they won't export items of over $100 value unless to a firearms dealer it's getting very difficult to tune guns like this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah! but it's still a Glock trigger, just hand finished to the optimum standard and with the ability to adjust the reset added:cool:
    Reminds me of Triggers 20 year old sweeping brush, 12 new heads and 8 new handles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

Hi.
    where is the pistol club in Athy?
    I dont live far away from there and travel a fair distance to my current club.
    I would be interested in joining.

Also any one recommend a rifle for target and a bit of deer stalking.
    I was thinking of a .308 because of the relatively low cost of ammo compaired to smaller rifles, but would they be a bit of overkill on a deer?

Mellor wrote: »
    Reminds me of Triggers 20 year old sweeping brush, 12 new heads and 8 new handles

True enough:p

However, for this gear freak anyway, a lot of the fun in shooting and probably most individual sports, is in the possibility and options of "accessories" and "ancilleries" :D

Unfortunately, the G34 replacement Sig X-five is proving "difficult" in this respect:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

"Put that Nickel plated Sissy Pistol back in your pants and get yourself a Glock"

I have to agree that the Glock is a great all rounder - is quite tolerant of poor ammo, dusty or rainy conditions etc. in contrast to some of it's more well heeled cousins.

The Trigger does take some getting used to and the felt recoil is an acquired taste but once you do get used to it - it fits like a glove.

I have a G34 with which I have done nothing but dispense lead.
    I have, on many occasions, fired the G34 that Rosahane speaks of and it is VERY good.

it is still a Glock trigger in that it contains the safety trigger but there is far less travel the way he has it set. It is far easier to feel the Trigger reset through the trigger also.

On my own I am quite comfortable with the factory trigger and the Recoil I'm not bothered about so no need for a trigger or spring change for me - yet - I have paws like a bear anyway.

I currently still have the Glock Factory adjustable sights which I also have no problems with - as I use it primarily for Practical - if I was to use it for more static (Still prefer the venerable .38 revolver for such stuff) I would add a set of Sights such as the Heinie or Dawsons or some combination thereof. There is far too much "give" between the front post and the rear sight for static shooting on the Glock Factory Sights.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sevenfivecz

Guys,

Many thanks for all the useful info. This must be the most informative site on the web!!
    In the US at the moment so will be paying a visit to Basss Pro to stock up.
    in response to KildareJoe - range is just though Nurney village - There's two 40m wide bays and a covered 25m firing point. I've only been up a few times (work commitments), but most of the lads appear to be serving or ex army and are very helpful when it comes to instruction & safety.

Regards and I will update on purchases on return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 garv

The name of the club is Harbour House Rifle and Pistol Club. I was there last weekend doing a pistol proficiency course.
    Its a great setup. The range is just though Nurney village and turn left at Conlons pub. Its on the left you can't miss it.
    All on the course were invited back this weekend to put into practice all the stuff we learned and there's rumours of a BBQ.
    Hopefully the good weather will hold out until then.

Advertisement