Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal: The key to your survival

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:35am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd give you all the heads up to say if you want to survive an emergency situation in Ireland, your going to need to play Portal and possibly get your hands on a portal gun. The first picture is the cover of the Governments new emergency planning booklet, the second is the cover of portal. Need I say more?

31636081mt5.jpg

99748724mg9.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've cleared the advance stages on Portal, so i should be well equipped to survive. Now where did i put the portal gun...GLaDOS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Dont believe mary harney's promise of cake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

madrab wrote: »
    Dont believe mary harney's promise of cake

She ate it all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

well they have finally split up the orange box and you can buy portal for 29.99, would you recommend it ? it's supposed to be very short isn't it is it worth it ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I can see another cake debate coming...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MooseJam wrote: »
    well they have finally split up the orange box and you can buy portal for 29.99, would you recommend it ? it's supposed to be very short isn't it is it worth it ?

Unless you already have TF2 and HL2:Ep 2 get the entire Orange Box.
    Even if you do, you can 'gift' them to a friend at a discount.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

orangeboxexit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Portal is AMAZING!

But far too short.. don't bother buying it for €29.99.

Fork out the extra and get The Orange Box. Got 'The Orange Box' for about €30 myself online anyways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

If they charged 29.99 each time you played Portal, I'd pay it.

Okay, its a bit pricey for a short game, but tbh, I don't judge games by how long/short they are, but how enjoyable they are. I think if Portal had been any longer, it would have taken the edge off it a bit.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Plus there's quite a lot of player made maps floating around to add longevity. Some are very good I hear in particular two made by a level desginer working for Bethesdaa (I think it was)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Silverfish wrote: »
    If they charged 29.99 each time you played Portal, I'd pay it.

Okay, its a bit pricey for a short game, but tbh, I don't judge games by how long/short they are, but how enjoyable they are. I think if Portal had been any longer, it would have taken the edge off it a bit.
    Exactly.

Portal is short when compared to your average game, but then again your average game is a pile of piss. Portal is excellent and is the perfect length for the type of game it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No, if you're gonna buy portal you may as well stump up for all of Orange box, makes much more sense.

Also, i think i might be dead inside, but i didn't enjoy portal as much as everyone else seems to have, i'd put it as the weakest part of Orange Box.

Don't get me wrong, it's a well executed game, but too short, i was only getting warmed up when the game ended, and the much vaunted humour didn't do anything for me. Though i suspect this is less to do with the game itself, and more to do with the fact that the internet has not so much beaten as flayed that paticular dead horse.

It's kinda like Monthy python humour, it'd be far funnier if it wasn't repeated ad nauseam by people whenever a half chance presents itself.

And now, the flaming.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Also, i think i might be dead inside, but i didn't enjoy portal as much as everyone else seems to have, i'd put it as the weakest part of Orange Box.

I agree. Of all the games in the Orange Box, Portal is the weakest. That isn't a bad thing really as each game is exceptional in its own right. Some people hated HL2:Ep2 but I loved it. TF2 keeps on giving also, but portal was the cherry on the cake ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Though i suspect this is less to do with the game itself, and more to do with the fact that the internet has not so much beaten as flayed that paticular dead horse.

It's kinda like Monthy python humour, it'd be far funnier if it wasn't repeated ad nauseam by people whenever a half chance presents itself.

100% agree. Can't even say the word 'cake' anymore. And I say cake a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Portal is alright.. Finished it once and had no desire to go back to it. Really required little skill to finish it. Hated the song too and the months and months of "teh cake is a lie" and companion cube crap :p

TF2 is pretty fun and Episode 2 is miles better than the first episode.

Portal just felt like a tacked on extra to me. No way would I ever spend 30 quid on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

i got it off my cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Portal was easy, I'm definitely safe :)

Advertisement