Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW e46 Slight Ratttle

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a very slight rattle on the driver's door - when driving on a bendy road - when driving the bends on the road - anybody know how to sort - as it's annoying more than anything else!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

could be just the door seals,apparently just rub in some vaseline to the rubber on the the door seal and on the body seal. or i also heard talcing powder works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Have tried the seals already with Vaseline

Could well be the driver's seat as well - bloody hard to know - rattles drive me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It's a well known rattle point on the E46's unfortunately, next time the car is getting serviced get them to tighten the loose nut in the door lock mechanism, it's a 2 minute fix if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for that Victor - that sounds right - as it does seem to be coming from the door lock alright

Only thing is that I just got the car serviced! And I have no way of getting to the service place Monday to Friday as I am working down the country - doing loads of bad road driving - hence I am noticing this rattle! :)

Is there any way I could do this myself?? Is it tricky?

Is the nut at fault accessible from the "outside" (without taking anything out)

Actually just rang place where I get it serviced - they had not heard about it - talked about taking off door panel etc. - will charge me about €100 knowing that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Nope, you have to take to door trim off.
    I had the same rattle on most of my E46's, once they tighten up the nut and threadlock it tight it never returns, I'm sure any local indy mechanic that's pulled the door of an E46 apart could do it for you.

• Advertisement

Sh*te :) - Wouldn't go trying that myself!
    That place is indy but know how to charge! :)

Thanks anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

panel removal

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GghftCXKaDA

panel repair
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4ZEegRTaQ&feature=related

you can get a glue gun in any hardware shop should only take a ccouple off hours if you dont know what you are doing :)

Have no YouTube access here so will look later!

Is it a tricky job? Is there a risk of creating more rattles - by a panel being incorrectly put back on incorrectly

Will it be obvious when/if I remove the panel which nut could be loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Have no YouTube access here so will look later!

Is it a tricky job? Is there a risk of creating more rattles - by a panel being incorrectly put back on incorrectly

Will it be obvious when/if I remove the panel which nut could be loose?

yes you could completely mess it up - take a look at the videos - if you think you can do it then you proabaly will be able to. worst case senario you get it off and cant get it back on properly then go to the garage - but if you think yer gonna mess it up then just go to the garage altogether and pay to get it done

Advertisement