Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashed Audi a4. Please Help!!!

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a small problem and need some help. My girlfriend had a bit of an accident in my '98 Audi A4 yesterday. She's ok and that's all that matters to me. But anyway the car was my pride and joy and I want to get it fixed up. I know you might say it's only a '98, just sell it off; but I really don't want to. I'm too attached to it and there's only 95k on the clock! Anyway, it needs a new roof and panel side panel. I know a panel beater who will spray it for me for literally nothing but it's getting my hands on the bodywork that's the problem. Does anybody know where I would get second hand bodywork or new, without paying through the nose for it? I'd really appreciate some help. You would make me very happy if I could find a solution. Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

You could try GSF or Otto for panels, not sure about the roof though. And no need to apologise for wanting to get an 'old' '98 fixed up, there is great satisfaction in keeping an old car you enjoy in top condition, fair play and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭themullet

Thanks Stevie. It's nice to know someone understands. Cheers Mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Are the roof pillars damaged?

If so, the repair may not put the strength back into the car and it may not hold up too well in another accident (due to forces of the accident being distributed throughout the body)

I put a 05 Almera on the roof and bent one roof pillar in the middle by 3mm. It was a write off due to the pillar damage.

If it's only the roof skin, the easy way (and wrong way, as the car has no strength) is to cut the roof off. The correct way is to drill out all the welds and take the roof skin off that way. That takes a LOT of time (and money), and there is no guarantee that the car will be right afterwards, especially around the door seals.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.....

Hi Ian,

The pillars are not damaged. She just drove under a barrier that was too low. The car never turned over or anything. The skin is torn through and cannot be repaired. If the pillars had been damaged I would just have to let it be. I am still hoping to get a roof skin from somewhere. If anybody knows where, please reply. Cheers Ian

themullet wrote: »
    Hi Ian,

The pillars are not damaged. She just drove under a barrier that was too low. The car never turned over or anything. The skin is torn through and cannot be repaired. If the pillars had been damaged I would just have to let it be. I am still hoping to get a roof skin from somewhere. If anybody knows where, please reply. Cheers Ian

The best place for a roof skin in that case is go to a scrapyard armed with a petrol con-saw. Find another A4 and cut the roof off at the base of the pillars. Then the body shop will be able to unpick the roof skin from that!

• Advertisement

Thanks again Ian. This feckin thing is tormenting me. I have already rang around quite a few scrapyards but there seems to be a real shortage of A4's, and any of the yards that had them, said that they were stripped for to the bone as soon as they arrived, such is the demand for Audi parts????? I wonder what are the chances of getting one new somewhere while trying to avoid Audi dealers. Cheers man

themullet wrote: »
    Thanks again Ian. This feckin thing is tormenting me. I have already rang around quite a few scrapyards but there seems to be a real shortage of A4's, and any of the yards that had them, said that they were stripped for to the bone as soon as they arrived, such is the demand for Audi parts????? I wonder what are the chances of getting one new somewhere while trying to avoid Audi dealers. Cheers man

Even if the car is picked to the bone, there's a good chance the roof is still on it. It's time to break out the walking boots, and go visit the yards, rather that phoning them

OK Ian, that's good advice. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Where abouts are you mate? Theres a big scrap yard near Kilcock which I believe is quite good, and might be worth paying a visit if youre not too far away.

cheers djimi. I'm in Wexford but I'm willing to travel long distance if it means getting what I'm after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

you could try traynors in armagh they deliver to dublin twice weekly give them a buzz 048 38891242 you might be lucky.

or duffys on the long mile road 01 4604655

or bolands at dublin airport 01 8401907

good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd try and get one in the uk the same as yours, bring it in and swap the panels, then scrap the uk car... could end up a lot cheaper

Advertisement