Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What lane for M50 toll with trailer?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I know this should prob be in commuting&transport but I know all you guy's here are just total legends ;)

I'll be driving north-bound on the M50 on the weekend with a small single axle trailer (about same size as a car). Now obviously i'll be in teh left lane driving all the time, but when I get to the toll, is there any special lane that I should get in? Or so I just make sure to go into a lane that has an operator at the barrier?

I also want to know hwo much i'm gonna have to pay, but i'll Google that :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hi John,

just head for a Booth - they'll happily rip you off there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Eazy Pass lane let me through before with a trailer. Same charge as a car by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Eazy Pass lane let me through before with a trailer. Same charge as a car by itself.

I don't have an easy pass though, i'm from "Way out west" :D ... i'm a cash only man, me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just drive throught the coin only booth and pay the car rate i did that in my van for years, they changed the wooden height covers to the plasticy ones that move back when there hit.

AFAIK its either 1.9m or 2.2m clearence (I get the M4 & M50 mixed up)

Just drive throught the coin only booth and pay the car rate i did that in my van for years, they changed the wooden height covers to the plasticy ones that move back when there hit.

AFAIK its either 1.9m or 2.2m clearence (I get the M4 & M50 mixed up)

The trailer is actually lower than the car anyhow so no probs there.

thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yep, ok then - its €2 into the shoot and floor the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

JohnCleary wrote: »
    The trailer is actually lower than the car anyhow so no probs there.

thanks for the help

2euro should do it.

Spend your savings on the McDonalds euro saver menu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I went to the window booth the other day northbound with Jeep and a horse box, she charged me €2 and i kept in the two lanes to the very left. On way home, went to booth again and gave yer man €2, he didn't say anything but if he had i was going to say thats what i was charged on the way up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmm, I go through toll booths often enough pulling a car trailer. A few times I've passing through an automatic booth (with a basket for coins, no person at it), and as I'm driving off I can hear some sort of siren going off. I assume that there is some sensor pad and when the trailor drives over it it thinks two cars have tried to go through together. I of course have never bothered to stop but am just curious as to what the siren thing is about.

More recently, I tend to just go to a booth with an operator at it (unless I'm in the jeep, which is a commercial vehicle, then I will go to a booth without an operator, no chance them spotting that its a commercial then:D)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know this should prob be in commuting&transport but I know all you guy's here are just total legends ;)
    shucks
    I'll be driving north-bound on the M50 on the weekend with a small single axle trailer (about same size as a car). Now obviously i'll be in teh left lane driving all the time, but when I get to the toll, is there any special lane that I should get in? Or so I just make sure to go into a lane that has an operator at the barrier?
    You will probably be driving more slowly than normal motroway traffic so you should be keeping right at all stages whilst on the M50 & going through the toll booth
    :D
    Timmaay wrote: »
    ...unless I'm in the jeep, which is a commercial vehicle...
    I drove though the toll last year in a Landy Defender with solid sides and with a twin axle trailer. I only had to pay the standard car fare to the toll operator!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    I drove though the toll last year in a Landy Defender with solid sides and with a twin axle trailer. I only had to pay the standard car fare to the toll operator!

It seems very hit and miss, I use to get through most times (with a disco, has 4 doors anyway), but then a few times the operator hit me for the full €4 or whatever. So now I just stay to the automatic ones (even if i do exceed the height by an inch or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

It seems very hit and miss, I use to get through most times (with a disco, has 4 doors anyway), but then a few times the operator hit me for the full €4 or whatever. So now I just stay to the automatic ones (even if i do exceed the height by an inch or so)

Iv been caught at the coin basket before in a commercial jeep, went to put in the standard car rate but it asked for the higher jeep rate! I had to go searching for change at that point :mad:

From then on i always have both the car rate AND the jeep rate ready and wait and see what it asks for. I dont know if they have someone watching over the basket that dictates what charge to ask for or if some sensor checks height, but the height thing doesn't come into it, as if you have an SUV with seats then you come under the car rate, not commercial. That happened to me at the M4 Toll bridge.

I dino. :confused:

A quick google didnt find me the rates - Should I get awya with 2euro for the car and trailer? what's the max I coudl get caught for? 4euro?

Sorry, we went slight off topic there taking about commercials. For the M50, €2 is the max you can be charged for a car, it shouldn't matter if you've nothing behind it or pulling a 30ft boat on a trailer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

kbannon wrote: »
    It's up and down. I used to have Renault Megavan, which isn't big and looks like a car at first glance. Half the time they'd charge me the van rate and half the time the car rate. Then I got an EazyPass and said it was a just a Renault Megane, so paid the car rate from then on.

Sorry, we went slight off topic there taking about commercials. For the M50, €2 is the max you can be charged for a car, it shouldn't matter if you've nothing behind it or pulling a 30ft boat on a trailer!

Excellent, thanks for the info

Advertisement