Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing language on Vista PC from German to English

• 22-04-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

A friend of a friend of mine recently bought a laptop with Vista home which turned out to be a German install. I have tried to change the both the system and display languages to English with no success (while wading through German text I can't read).

Can it be changed by changing settings or will Vista have to be reinstalled selecting English (which I read elsewhere might be the case on a quick search) ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it's Vista Ultimate edition it can be done by downloading the english language pack through Windows Updates.
    If it the standard Vista Basic/Premium, it can't be done without a reinstall.

You may have to buy an english copy of Vista though. I have a feeling that the product key that came with the laptop is tied to the German language version. That means choosing English during install may not work. Open to correction on that though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The license is for German Vista, the EULA doesn't allow you to install the english version.

as kaizersoze said , you can change if you have vista ultimate OR you have to buy a new license

the options allowed to you by microsoft - these guys don't miss a trick
    upgrade to ultimate
    buy a retail license - you can remove this license if the laptop is sold later and stick back on the german OEM version
    upgrade license , - this kills the german license and means the new license is stuck on the laptop forever and lives/dies with it

you can't buy an OEM license since the PC already has windows
    with previous versions you didn't have the option of upgrading to ultimate as only corporate users could get the multi langague pack , yes licensing sucks , but you can install english langague apps

Advertisement