Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Physics And Biology~!****!!

Options
  • 22-04-2008 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Can anyone tell me the main topics to study for to try scrape a B and can anyone tell me what experiments they predict will come up in June!! Sound!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can really help you much but this website could help you along.

http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

don't try to predict experiments. They are really easy to do. Just go over the mandatory experiments and learn/understand them. Get to know things like
    • How you take the readings
    • How you draw the graph (what you plot against what, which axes, directly proportional? etc...
    • How to prove/conclude the experiment
    • All sources of error and precautions for each experiment (parallax/measurement error, loss of energy due to sound/heat etc, and specific precautions to take like friction compensating slopes)
    If you know all those you can get an easy A in the Experiment questions. You dont have to know the method, just have a faint idea of it.
    Ie: the question is usually explain how the student obtained the data.
    Precautions and sources of error are easy questions to get marks in.
    Go through your notebook/textbook and get to know EVERY experiment a little bit and you are sorted.

As for the rest of the course, its just going through the book, chapter by chapter, learning definitions/formulae and understanding concepts. DO NOT just focus on one or two particular topics cos you cant predict what will come up. Generally every topic comes up anyway. Just learn the basics from every topic and you'll get better marks.

Oh and if you did the mock, you're results in the mock will probably rise by 10/15 % maybe more, cos i got a B3 in the mock and I should get a an A2/A1 in the LC. Physics is easy if you understand rather than learn off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Im iin a similar position for Physics. Got a D1 in the mocks, useless teacher (highest in the class was a C3, and he's a mathlete). My plan is to skip electricity (can't do it, huge section), try and nail the experiments, and know my option inside out.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Don't skip electricity whatever you do! It's huge! Know modern physics and the options inside out. Maybe drop heat. Don't quote me on that! Write out all your definitions and equations, only way to learn em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Im iin a similar position for Physics. Got a D1 in the mocks, useless teacher (highest in the class was a C3, and he's a mathlete). My plan is to skip electricity (can't do it, huge section), try and nail the experiments, and know my option inside out.

Strange, my class was pretty much the same. I got a D1, was the only person to pass the thing! Threw me a bit since I was used to A's in Physics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jager-bomber

I failed physics in the pre did not do anything and I plan on skipping electricity and to focus on exp's if i can and hopefully do well in some long qs and get like 70 % but one prediction I have is A proportional to F. Anybody have any tips for biology either? maybe chemistry>?

everyone in the country did crap in physics. If you got a B you should get an A in the leaving. I was used to As and i got a B3. The best mark in my school was a B2. So you should get a little more marks in the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

SKIP UNIT 3 IN Biology .... our teacher is skipping it and those who want to do it can .... but she is only doing unit 1 and 2 and the experiments !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

yeah-boy wrote: »
    SKIP UNIT 3 IN Biology .... our teacher is skipping it and those who want to do it can .... but she is only doing unit 1 and 2 and the experiments !!!

She should really teach the full syllabus...

Don't skip electricity whatever you do! It's huge!
    Exactly.

I simply cannot understand it without a mammoth amount of study. By leaving it out, I'm knocking 25% of the study i have to do (its 100 pages in a 400 page book) and can concentrate on topics I do understand. There's no way they're gonna ask 3 long questions on electricity so I should be ok, I'm optimistically aiming for a B3

• Advertisement

Exactly.

I simply cannot understand it without a mammoth amount of study. By leaving it out, I'm knocking 25% of the study i have to do (its 100 pages in a 400 page book) and can concentrate on topics I do understand. There's no way they're gonna ask 3 long questions on electricity so I should be ok, I'm optimistically aiming for a B3

s'pose you'll be ok. But make sure you cover everything else. Im only doing a bit on waves and a bit on heat, cos i find them hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

Heat is a pretty short section and easy marks considering that the main thing they will ask you is a SHC or latent heat calculation. Learn the formula off by heart and then just sub in the info they give you...

Well worth learning because if there isn't a full question on it they will ask a half question calculation with a bit of rubbish thrown in about how to calibrate a thermometer

ian.f wrote: »
    Heat is a pretty short section and easy marks considering that the main thing they will ask you is a SHC or latent heat calculation. Learn the formula off by heart and then just sub in the info they give you...

Well worth learning because if there isn't a full question on it they will ask a half question calculation with a bit of rubbish thrown in about how to calibrate a thermometer
    Good chance of getting an experiment question aswell

Advertisement