Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for the Iron Foundry

• 22-04-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the RTE 2Fm News that William Bolster a Waterford Developer has submitted plans to redevelop the old Iron Foundry lands in the City to include a conference centre and hotel and shopping area. Martin Cullen has back the plans. If I find the link I'll post it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

This sounds like a wet dream for the "serial objector" I'm sure he is working on his statement already without any firm plans in place.

Anyhow, any development in that area would be welcome, as it is a bit of an eyesore as you approach the City,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

0000e8ab10dr.jpg

That looks like the North Quays to me.

Hmm, access to very poor with a narrow windy road threaded between high ground and the river. Will they extend the riverside out to make room for a new re-aligned road?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Who ever wrote the article said " Construction could start as early as next year " , They probably don't know about the problems we have with McCant and planning down here I can only imagine the trouble he will cause over moving the contaminants ash and slag that have been thrown into the river over the years there , it will prob end up just like the aldi site on the cork road or the old gasworks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

32 storey...

It's a little big isn't it?

And yeah, the picture is of the planned North Quay development. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Keep dreaming lads because it will never happen. At least not in the next 5 years anyway.If recent history is anything to go by.

shockwave wrote: »
    Keep dreaming lads because it will never happen. At least not in the next 5 years anyway.If recent history is anything to go by.

I appeal this message.

EDIT: To add something relevant, http://www.cjfa.ie/

But like our friend above, I don't see this ever happening. And to be honest, I'm not sure I want to. It's huge.

River views except for the people living in the two houses on the hill.

Bilbury.jpg

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I cant see this ever going through and I dont know if it even should. Far to big of a development. Bolsters seem to be very interested in constructing big projects in the wrong locations. Its great to see the interest but the scale of the development and location I think is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Mike that picture looks great , It will be great for the area when it gets the go ahead .

Strange though that I read the description on CJ Falconers website and I tought it strange that they said " This site will take advantage of the exisiting redundant railway line which is to be reopened alonG this section of site " Anyone who is familiar with the area like I presume the architect would be by now , would be aware that only the old train station buildings are standing and the rail line from the foundry is now blocked by the Waters Gate development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

It all looks like hot air to me. Much as I'd love it to happen I'll be waiting for the sod to be turned before I believe it.

I reckon developers come up with fancy-dan schemes knowing that they will have to modify them so the 30 story tower becomes a 20 story etc. They still get permission for what they really want - the apartment blocks and conference centre.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I reckon developers come up with fancy-dan schemes knowing that they will have to modify them so the 30 story tower becomes a 20 story etc. They still get permission for what they really want - the apartment blocks and conference centre.

Mike.

I can definetly agree with that. Every major development plan in Waterford has been appealed, only to be sent back a few months later with a string of restrictions / modifications etc.

These guys aim big, they might be lucky to come out with what they planned after the conditions.

I mean c'mon, 32 stories, in Bilberry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mike.

+1, aim for the stars and you may hit the moon and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It looks like a big c*ck, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    I cant see this ever going through and I dont know if it even should. Far to big of a development. Bolsters seem to be very interested in constructing big projects in the wrong locations. Its great to see the interest but the scale of the development and location I think is wrong.

I would like to see an elevation view of the development as there is a sheer cliff face opposite this and may not look too out of place considering the location.

we need more landmark high rise developments in the City urgently, to make the Waterford a compact City which lends itself to public transport easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

seen the model of this developent in Martina Gate today
    looking brilliant!!!!

well done -
    Mr McCann is probably drafting pages of objections as we speak

but imagine coming from Dublin by Train - would look great as the entrance to a gate way sity!

really impressed

well done to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

seen the model of this developent in Martina Gate today
    looking brilliant!!!!

well done -
    Mr McCann is probably drafting pages of objections as we speak

but imagine coming from Dublin by Train - would look great as the entrance to a gate way sity!

really impressed

well done to all involved

+1 to that. I hope it definitely gets the go-ahead. My one concern is traffic. If just one car turns right off the Bridge at the minute there's chaos.

Unless they build some alterative route to it. But I don't know how they would TBH.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You have to consider all the facts instead of restricting your view to how it appears on entrance. The development has other sides to be considered, besides the advantage of how it looks coming in. I can foresee more people besides Brendan objecting to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think it's a fantastic idea! Bilberrry and the North Quays are possibly the only places we can build high rise in Waterford, so why shouldn't we? We'll have a fantastic waterfront if we do!

The area is zoned "opportunity", so this is the sort of thing that fits the bill. On that basis, it will be difficult to block. Unlike the KRM development, this will not be in the city centre and will only affect a relatively small number of residents, in terms of their view being impaired. But that's life.

I'd be more worried about the Bilberry goats during the construction. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Yes it looks ... phallic :D.. but hey! We have feck all else thats modern.

Lets hope that the city objector doesnt have another go because if he gets his way, the city will look exactly like it does now in 20 years time.. and lets be realistic.. that means -

Historic
    Run Down
    Void of shops
    Empty
    Boring
    Industrial..

The most exciting thing built in Waterford in the last 10 years is the impressive stack of used teabags in my kitchen. I'm half expecting you know who to send an bord pleanála after me for that too.

Bring on the Bilberry willy.. and mind yer goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Freddie59 wrote: »
    +1 to that. I hope it definitely gets the go-ahead. My one concern is traffic. If just one car turns right off the Bridge at the minute there's chaos.

Unless they build some alterative route to it. But I don't know how they would TBH.

The new bridge will take away loads of traffic from Rice Bridge. It's also fairly easily accessible from the Cork Road area via the Old Kilmeaden Road and Carrickpherish Road.

fricatus wrote: »
    The new bridge will take away loads of traffic from Rice Bridge.

I certinally hope so. That area is a complete disastor and is extremely dangerous. Its a death trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'd imagine that if a large development went down there, work would be done on the bridge junction as it isn't suitable as it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

The big thing for this is going to be traffic management, as Freddie59 has pointed out. Yes the ring road will probably remove a fair amount of traffic, but not people coming in from/heading to the New Ross side at rush hour. Also, given that the blinkered donkeys in government/NRA and their PPP mates have completely ignored the commonly held notion that you DON'T toll relief roads, you'll still find a sizeable number of trucks and others still rolling across Rice bridge to avoid the highwaymen out on the ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

fricatus wrote: »
    The new bridge will take away loads of traffic from Rice Bridge. It's also fairly easily accessible from the Cork Road area via the Old Kilmeaden Road and Carrickpherish Road.

Very good point. Had forgotten about that.:o But if is is some kind of venue the traffic would still be fairly heavy. The road out would have to be upgraded.

Have you been down that road from the top to the bottom? Not fit for a truck of any sort.

The front page of Waterford Today speaks volumes.

Mike.

Have you been down that road from the top to the bottom? Not fit for a truck of any sort.

I agree, although there's plenty of space now for widening, the way the new Bowefield estate was built.

The front page of Waterford Today speaks volumes.

The front page of WT is a big B&Q ad! Are you referring to the "second front page", i.e. the one underneath the ad? If so, what do you mean?

Left side of front page - Decision on KRM city centre project "still pending" with story of this threads subject on the right hand side of page.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Left side of front page - Decision on KRM city centre project "still pending" with story of this threads subject on the right hand side of page.

Mike.

Oh yeah, sure I made the point on another message board that the new bridge will probably be complete by the time this thing gets the go-ahead (in much watered-down form too, no doubt :mad:)

Advertisement