Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G data sim card only

Options
  • 22-04-2008 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi

I have an XPS with the internal data module and the sim card slot under the battery. I have been to the different operators and none of them really understand what Im looking for. So ill ask the wisdom of the board.....

Is it possible to sign up for the 3 10gb monthly contract by just getting a sim card and not having to buy a modem or data card? As I have one built into the laptop its feels like a waste of money to have to get one.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

solosailor wrote: »
    Hi

I have an XPS with the internal data module and the sim card slot under the battery. I have been to the different operators and none of them really understand what Im looking for. So ill ask the wisdom of the board.....

Is it possible to sign up for the 3 10gb monthly contract by just getting a sim card and not having to buy a modem or data card? As I have one built into the laptop its feels like a waste of money to have to get one.

Thanks

OP you can get forms from Dell that you can send away for a Vodafone data sim only.

I dont think Dell have a contract with 02/ 3 Ireland.

I know vodafone will not sell you a sim only data connection, maybe take the hit and just buy the modem...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 solosailor

thanks for the reply, was thinking it would be nice and tidy to have it all enclosed and out of sight.

I wonder if I got the 3 data card, and just put the sim card in would it work? and keep the data card as a spare maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes.
    Any sim will work in any phone/modem as long as the phone/modem is not locked to a different operator.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

watty wrote: »
    yes.
    Any sim will work in any phone/modem as long as the phone/modem is not locked to a different operator.

Agreed, I dont think those 3G laptop modules are network locked but it may be worth a call to Dell to confirm, or you have you have a non Voda sim pop it in and see you if you can log on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 solosailor

Agreed, I dont think those 3G laptop modules are network locked but it may be worth a call to Dell to confirm, or you have you have a non Voda sim pop it in and see you if you can log on.

thanks lads, think ill go ahead, ill mail the sales guy at dell and ask if the module is network locked and then take it form there!

thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

You could risk a tenner on a 3pay SIM, then buy the ten euro data add on. Might just work, no contract. Poor service though.

Advertisement