Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux + Unix experience (required)

• 22-04-2008 1:35pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am a Windows user and have been for 10 years and I am working in a Windows environment but I will be needing a new job soon but would like maybe a job in testing but many of the job specs have linux and unix as an essential trait.

Where would would people recommend I start (please no at the beginning answes!)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I am a Windows user and have been for 10 years and I am working in a Windows environment but I will be needing a new job soon but would like maybe a job in testing but many of the job specs have linux and unix as an essential trait.

Where would would people recommend I start (please no at the beginning answes!)

Thanks

Install the OS?
    buy a book?
    Read man pages.

That should get you on the right road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

"Running Linux" O'Reilly seems pretty good. Im currently in the process of learning linux and helped quite a bit.

google running linux .pdf and you'll get a copy of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

CompTIA Linux+, while very basic, at least shows that you have the fundamental skills to run a Linux-based OS. Ideally you'd want to look at the RHCT, and eventually RHCE. There are a handful of other Linux certs, but I don't know how well recognized they are.

The best way to get actual knowledge is to run a Linux-based or UNIX-based OS. I'd recommend starting with Ubuntu, then moving to Slackware or Gentoo to really learn the internals.

There are also Solaris certs, if you're thinking of going down that route (no harm in getting some experience with different UNIX flavours).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

ntlbell wrote: »
    Install the OS?
    buy a book?
    Read man pages.

That should get you on the right road
    What are these book things you mention...:D

Only kidding, thanks for the help everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What are these book things you mention...:D

Only kidding, thanks for the help everyone

What I would do is install a few different versions of linux/BSD

See what one takes your fancy then purchase some books based on what interests you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A few different versions! Daunting but needs to be done.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jedistev

try AIX, it's good Unix machine...

and there is pletny of IBM Redbooks for this, but for sure it not free software..but worth learn AIX system

for linux i would go ubunbtu and Mandiva

but worth download VMware to test around free unix/Linux

Try check out Gos ubunbtu...really good and dont forget google PDF or P2P for ebook ..but i am sure you get some answers already

Ubuntu 7.10 VMware

Can I just download and install the above to work alongside Windows or will it require uninstalling Windows :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

A few different versions! Daunting but needs to be done.

Thanks again

1. Install Ubuntu.

2. It more than likely won't work for everything you want (wireless drivers and gfx cards being the 2 biggest problems)

3. Go to http://ubuntuforums.org/ for all your Linux related questions.

That will get you started, and a nice desktop style system ontop of the Linux terminal, that will help you get acclimatised.

The few things I would like to have known while learning were:
    1) Compiling from source.
    Sometimes software (drivers especially) in Linux need to be compiled from the source code. It sounds hard, but isn't. As long as you have the required packages installed (gcc, kernel headers... etc)

2) Package managers.
    These things are brilliant!!! I'm not going to go into detail, but it's so easy to install things you need. Ubuntu has a nice shiney UI for this (synaptic), but from a terminal they're one of the many things that are even easier to use. Let's say for example you want to install the 2 things I mentioned above, but weren't sure where or how to install them. The following command would do it for you:
    apt-get install gcc kernel-headers

and that's it! This will install the latest versions of the 2 packages (gcc, kernel-headers) onto your system and do all the messy compiling and configuring (bar spelling mistakes, or wrongly named packages, but you'll soon find out if you have the right ones or not)

3) Lingo
    Get down with the lingo. It's easy enough, just google things like gcc, kernel, tarballs, apt, command line piping, Debian. Most of it just comes from using it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Ubuntu 7.10 VMware

Can I just download and install the above to work alongside Windows or will it require uninstalling Windows :o

You probably don't need to uninstall Windows for the VMware version (that's just a guess, I've never gone near VMware), but maybe the Ubuntu Live CD might be even easier!

But if you want experience, I'd partition some space on your current windows drive and attempt to install Ubuntu to that. (probably best backing up anything you need before trying that though)

The Ubuntu CD will even auto partition the drive for you, but needless to say, you have to take care!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Download that VMWare link along with VM Player or VM server and you'll have a nice little Linux environment that won't touch your Windows install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jedistev

as VMware user

it handy and it dont need partion a harddrives and it can run files under 'C:\ whateverfolder' you called, but mine is C:\vmware-UNIX

the files would be 50mb to 10GB as long yours hard drive is NTFS, not FAT32

and best things is free...i use mine is FreeBSD, GOS and very small Linux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'd actually avoid Ubunutu, its too simplistic maybe?

It does too much for ya, and that wont wont help you in work related terms.

Someone recomended centOS to me, maybe go for that

# I currently still have ubuntu installed and havent got around to putting CentOS on my laptop yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

But if you want experience, I'd partition some space on your current windows drive and attempt to install Ubuntu to that

I'd agree here - you should seriously consider running a linux-based OS for real (i.e. try to do as much of your day-to-day computing in it) if you really want to learn. If you use a virtual machine, then the temptation to just go back to Windows if you hit a snag will probably scupper your efforts to learn.
    It does too much for ya, and that wont wont help you in work related terms.

Someone recomended centOS to me, maybe go for that

I don't see how CentOS is any better for learning than Ubuntu - if you wanted to wade in the deep end, you'd want to install something like Gentoo. But, I reckon it's probably better for a Windows user to start off in something that they can handle easily, before progressing to something that requires a deeper understanding of linux methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

you can do the linux+ 2004 cert thru fas, go here www.ecollege.ie, browse courses and the linux one is under operating systems, it costs 120euro, im doing it at the mo, its a fairly good intro to linux and well show you now how to install, configure and maintain linux

I am having a problem that is driving me mad!
    I posted this is Computers as well but maybe you guys might be able to help

I want to try Ubuntu so I am using a LiveCD but when I am presented with the option of which operating system I want to use my keyboard is non repsonsive so they timer runs down and selects Windows

Any ideas?

Go into your bios (press del or f2 when you machine is just turned on) and turn on USB legacy for your keyboard.

feylya wrote: »
    Go into your bios (press del or f2 when you machine is just turned on) and turn on USB legacy for your keyboard.
    Tried but no joy - the keyboard just stops working while the machine is booting :(

Thanks for the suggestion

USB or Ps2 keyboard?

USB - there are no Ps2 slots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

My PC at home is like that. Think its dodgy bios or something! I can keep restarting my PC and it makes zero difference. I still can't get in.

After a long time experimenting. Turning it fully off for 10 mins and turning it back on lets me use it! Don't ask me why!

For what its worth I have a MSI Diamond K8N Deluxe

I got the problem sorted. My BIOS was in need of an update so I am now using Ubuntu!

Thanks

Advertisement