Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadburys Dairy Milk

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I'm on my lunch break and just went to Spar beside my job to buy a dairy milk and had €1 with me.

I very rarely buy a bar on its own so never really look at the price. For the standard 8 square bar it costs €1.09 in Spar.

I walked out of the shop as I would not pay this for a lousy bar of chocolate.

Is this the average price for a bar of choc or is it that Spar are setting prices anyway they like?

I am so angry that they can charge these prices in a country where this chocolate is made and it costs €1.40 in places they have to import it in to!
    Rip Off Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

suzieb wrote: »
    I'm on my lunch break and just went to Spar beside my job to buy a dairy milk and had €1 with me.

I very rarely buy a bar on its own so never really look at the price. For the standard 8 square bar it costs €1.09 in Spar.

I walked out of the shop as I would not pay this for a lousy bar of chocolate.

Is this the average price for a bar of choc or is it that Spar are setting prices anyway they like?

I am so angry that they can charge these prices in a country where this chocolate is made and it costs €1.40 in places they have to import it in to!
    Rip Off Ireland?

Not all cadburys products sold here are made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's normally 70-80c for a bar of chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Stark wrote: »

that what i thought but recentlty i noticed that centra had put their price up to 98c for a bar of choc. and that covers most mars like mars, snickers, topics, etc.

so i usually gage a bar of choc at 98c now. but saying that, spar have always been a bit more expensive on most items. i remember being in a spar once and getting a bottle of robinsons diluted orange. when the guy scanned the bottle it showed up as €4.99 and i said that must be a mistake, but he said no and charged me the full price. the next time i was in tesco i found the same bottle for about €1.79 or something likle that. i couldnt believe it, it was 3 times the price in spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I know spar is very expensive its not as if its a little corner shop so really unless im stuck and have to have it i dont shop ,there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thats about standard or about 90c in venting machines here down in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Went to a Centra-like shop around the corner from work, took a sandwich and a Moro (or something), the guy behind the counter scanned it and told me the total. It was more than usual so I asked how much the bar was. "90 cent". Right then, I'll leave it. He had the cheek to ask me to put it back but ffs a jump from 80c to 90c is unreal for something like a bar of chocolate! :mad:

Two weeks ago the price of all the bars in the machine in work went from 80c to 90c.

And the shop mentioned above hoisted their proces to 95 cent.

€1.09 is an absolute f'ing disgrace - even in a 'convenience' store. And it's only when everyone realises they're being ripped off and votes with their feet (or at least leaves the chocolate back on the shelf) that they'll stop, or at least not be so quick to up the prices so flippantly.

THE REASON PLACES UP THEIR PRICES SO EASILY IS BECAUSE THEY KNOW MOST PEOPLE WILL JUST PAY THE PRICE!!!

...remember the days a Mars bar was bigger and only cost 32p? Ahh the good old days. And I'm only 27...

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Not excusing it but it might have to do with the exchange rate. Dairy Milks are made in England (I don't know if Coolock do them aswell...but a lot of them come from the UK). That said, they're about 85c (65p) up here in Northern Ireland these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it was the exchange rate, then we'd be getting them cheaper than we had been getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

If you really want to see how ripped off we are here take a trip up to asda someday .The prices are well worth the trip and the exchange is 78 for the euro .I hate taking the money out of the economy but im so p***ed off at the constant rip off here we go every 2 weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Spar prices are gone way over the top. I get a 2L milk there it went up to 2.39 a few months ago. Then afew weeks ago it went up tp 2.49 then last week it was 2.69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

3 ltr milk yes 3 works out at 2.13 irish in asda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres a new eurospar up in santry ,near the gulliver retail park.
    The prices are really good ,not just for a spar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If it was the exchange rate, then we'd be getting them cheaper than we had been getting them.

A lot of their overheads are outside the UK though (cocoa sourcing in particular) so they're not getting as much bang for their buck. The bars have gone up in NI too, I don't know by how much but they seem to be creeping up gradually. I'd never have dreamt of paying 65p for a mars bar before - I remember when they were 30p!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

All in all, regardless of exchange rates,where the chocolate is made and costs etc there is no way a standard bar of chocolate should cost this amount of money!

I've been in touch with Cadburys and Spar and am awaiting reply(can't see it happening),just really got me mad that people will continue to pay this money for something thats totally not worth it!

I wont be buying it again thats for sure!
    And won't be going to spar if can help it either as the prices are all higher than any other store selling similar products...

suzie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

But its a long time since a bar was 70c

Cadburys have put two price increases through in the last year. 1.09 does seem steep though. My shop is 95c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Good idea Suzie. I used to have a bar almost every day - but with the price hikes I just say no. I walk a little further to the veggie/fruit market and buy a green apple for 40c. Now I am 2 stone lighter and probably €100 better off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But its a long time since a bar was 70c

They are in the vending machine where I work :D I hope the company that stocks it doesn't read this thread.

311 wrote: »
    Theres a new eurospar up in santry ,near the gulliver retail park.
    The prices are really good ,not just for a spar.

That's my local and someof their stuff can be pricey, but you're right they do a lot of stuff on the cheap. They do great deals on alcohol every now and then as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's a lovely shop though ,it's my favourite shop when I have a hangover:D

I actually came out of there lastweek with stuff that was less than I pay in tesco clearwater:eek:

Advertisement