Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hats off to the Italians...

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:54pm

...when they re-elect Berlusconi. He's been through ten criminal trials, has been accused of money laundering, corruption, tax evasion, links with organised crime and the Mafia, just about everything short of standing over a body with a knife dripping blood. He controls 90% of their media and brooks no criticism. His career is littered with scandal after scandal. And yet they don't spend all their time wondering are they the worst little country ever and saying it wouldn't happen anywhere else...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

At least we can point at someone who is worse that us :D.

Just gotta admire the way they look at what might happen, and not what has gone before, no matter how bad that record is. It's a bit of a contrast to the over indulgent self analysis we like to engage in about Irish leaders, that often end in nonsense about the rest of the world laughing at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

...when they re-elect Berlusconi. He's been through ten criminal trials, has been accused of money laundering, corruption, tax evasion, links with organised crime and the Mafia, just about everything short of standing over a body with a knife dripping blood.

I thought most of the above were prerequisites for getting elected in Italy - Andreotti got in more than 10 times despite/because of being best buds with il cosa nostra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

So what you're saying is that money laundering, corruption and tax evasion should be rewarded so long as there is some kind of abstract potential for the guilty party to make a decent decision sometime in the future, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Berlesconi is the only Italian to serve a full term in sixty odd years, that alone makes him more electable to Italians than most others. Not that I like him or agree with his positions, but you have to appreciate that success.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

clown bag wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that money laundering, corruption and tax evasion should be rewarded so long as there is some kind of abstract potential for the guilty party to make a decent decision sometime in the future, maybe.

I think his point is that the Italiens don't have loads of middle-class housewives exclaiming loudly at dinner "only in Ireland", then parroting whatever dull line they have gleamed from Fintan O'Toole that particular time.

I think his point is that the Italiens don't have loads of middle-class housewives exclaiming loudly at dinner "only in Ireland", then parroting whatever dull line they have gleamed from Fintan O'Toole that particular time.

Precisely.

I've seen thread after thread here with people wailing and gnashing their teeth over Berties clothes, his elocution, his appearance, his history, monies received, his stories...and the constant drone is that this wouldn't happen anywhere else.

As if.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Those Italians are obviously following FF's bad example Conor :D

gandalf wrote: »
    Those Italians are obviously following FF's bad example Conor :D

It's contagious, and it don't respect national boundaries!

• Advertisement

So what you are saying Conor is because the Italians do it then we should excuse Bertie eh. Is that the best you can do? I think the word for this is pathetic. The FF cheerleaders are discovering what the bottom of the barrel looks like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'll trade y'all Bertie for Blocher if y'like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The FF cheerleaders are discovering what the bottom of the barrel looks like :rolleyes:

don't think you can ever really apply that phrase to a party in power...

So what you are saying Conor is because the Italians do it then we should excuse Bertie eh. Is that the best you can do? I think the word for this is pathetic. The FF cheerleaders are discovering what the bottom of the barrel looks like :rolleyes:
    :confused: You seem to misunderstand what he is saying. He is bitching about all those people who claimed that Ireland's standing was diminished by holding onto Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

:confused: You seem to misunderstand what he is saying. He is bitching about all those people who claimed that Ireland's standing was diminished by holding onto Bertie.

Italian politics has been well established as the laughing stock of Europe for decades now.
    No need to follow their example.

On the other hand, the Italian people effectively governs itself, as hardly any governement stays in power long enough to see anything through (and if it does, it is subsequently reversed by the following governement)

So maybe there's a lesson to be learned here ...governement of the people instead of politicians :D

So what you are saying Conor is because the Italians do it then we should excuse Bertie eh.

Not at all. I never suggested that, hinted at it, or meant it.

What I am saying is that the constant whining here about Irish politicians - and particularly our soon to be gone Taoiseach - being the worst in the world, or at least the most crooked, and the idea that the rest of the world is studying us and laughing, is nonsense. In other countries, they treat concepts like honesty and transparency with more contempt. Let's not pretend we are victims and its all rosy in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

this is a bit surreal - holding up the Italians as examples of how to deal with (allegedly) corrupt politicans

<checks calendar> no, it's 22 April not the 1st :)

this is a bit surreal - holding up the Italians as examples of how to deal with (allegedly) corrupt politicans

Hold on.

This is at least the third person who has misinterpreted what I said.

It's not a difficult argument. I am merely saying that, out there, in the real world, other countries face a lot worse and don't bat an eyelid. I am not holding them up as paragons of virtue, I am not saying we should copy their approach, I am not saying our Taoiseach should join the Mafia. I am simply saying that while honesty may be the most important thing in some Utopia, and to everyone here who hates FF and works back from that position, in other political systems they really don't give a hoot.

Conor please stop trying to excuse Aherns behaviour like this is extremely weak even for a hardened FF supporter.

In the real world people have to pay taxes and declare their earnings. The excuse that he was undergoing personal hardship have been blown away given the amount of cash he was awash in. It is perfectly reasonable for people to question why he was given this cash and what exactly was expected for this cash.

Conor please stop trying to excuse Aherns behaviour like this is extremely weak even for a hardened FF supporter.
    :confused::confused:
    Exactly what thread are you reading?

He is making the very valid point that Ireland is not unique in having this kind of situation, and that it doesn't damage our international credibility to have Bertie as Taoiseach.
    He has said nothing to excuse Ahern's behaviour.

• Advertisement

Conor please stop trying to excuse Aherns behaviour

I never have. I can only assume at this stage that you are being facetious. You cannot keep missing the point surely.

Will I link at least 10 posts from me condemning him or do you want me to bother?

I said he was wrong. I have said so since October 2006. Even within the past ten minutes on some other thread here I have said so.

But I am also saying that I'm not losing sleep about what he did, or pretending that like yeah it really really matters to me that someone with more money than sense gave some of it to him.
    In the real world people have to pay taxes and declare their earnings.

True. And in the real world, politicians do bad things. They shouldn't, but they do. Only in Ireland does life stop over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

But I am also saying that I'm not losing sleep about what he did, or pretending that like yeah it really really matters to me that someone with more money than sense gave some of it to him.

True. And in the real world, politicians do bad things. They shouldn't, but they do. Only in Ireland does life stop over it.

aha ...so we just resign ourselves to the "fact" that a) all politicians are basically not to be trusted and b) ours aren't necessarily the worst and then we just let them get on with it, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Only in Ireland does life stop over it.

Simply not true. Many other countries have concerns over corruption. Just because Italians aren't so bothered as some other folk doesn't mean we have to model our attitude on theirs.
    ...I'm not losing sleep about what he did, or pretending that like yeah it really really matters to me...

Personally I'm deeply relieved that not everyone in Ireland is as jaded and cynical as you, to be able to shrug and not care. It's good that people care. I hope they keep caring. I wish they cared more in Italy. I find it amazing that you can make a virtue out of not caring, but even more so that you then hold up a nation as cynically corrupt as Italy in support of your lack of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

...when they re-elect Berlusconi. He's been through ten criminal trials, has been accused of money laundering, corruption, tax evasion, links with organised crime and the Mafia, just about everything short of standing over a body with a knife dripping blood. He controls 90% of their media and brooks no criticism. His career is littered with scandal after scandal. And yet they don't spend all their time wondering are they the worst little country ever and saying it wouldn't happen anywhere else...
    Thankfully the rest of the country has more wholesome values than you.

ballooba wrote: »
    Thankfully the rest of the country has more wholesome values than you.

With respect, you don't know me at all and you cannot make sweeping comments about my values on the basis of my attitude to the Mahon Tribunal. Do you judge all people by their stance on that Tribunal or just me? And when exactly did this become a thread about me anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Like it or not Conor to me and a good few other people on here this thread looks like it is condoning Ahern's activities by comparing him to what the Italians put up with from some of their leaders.

You are affectively asking why we are getting excited about Ahern's situation when there are countries that put up with much worse.
    Rather than comparing us to Italy why not compare us to lets say Sweden, Australia or New Zealand where people either get sacked or just resign at any hint of corruption or misdemeanour.
    Hell if you compare him to Mugabe he comes across as Padre Pio and we come across as a bunch of whinging ungrateful spiteful malcontents.

It's all relatives just like certain weddings.

I am not allowed discuss …

The only points that Conor as made on this thread is that Bertie's finances do in no way diminish our international standing, and we are not the only country whose leader has dodgy finances, regardless of what certain whingers say.
    I agree with him, but I was still delighted when O'Malley put the pressure on, and I was glad to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

With respect, you don't know me at all and you cannot make sweeping comments about my values on the basis of my attitude to the Mahon Tribunal. Do you judge all people by their stance on that Tribunal or just me? And when exactly did this become a thread about me anyway?
    You have shown that integrity in politics is not something you believe in or value. Thankfully these are things that other people in our society value.

Just because Italian politics are brought into disrepute does not lessen the disrepute brought on Irish politics by Bertie Ahern and the CJ haughey school of Fianna Fail.

You started this thread. You expressed your own views which are different than those widely held in the population so the thread is about you and your views.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's ok for the thread to be about Conor74's views, but not about him.

Just a friendly pointer, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Just gotta admire the way they look at what might happen, and not what has gone before, no matter how bad that record is. It's a bit of a contrast to the over indulgent self analysis we like to engage in about Irish leaders, that often end in nonsense about the rest of the world laughing at us.

Oh my heart bleeds. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement