Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hats off to the Italians...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Now I'm no cheerleader for FF, but after reading some of posts in the last few pages by a FG party member i'd be hard pushed to vote for them in an election, which i would definitely have considered previously. Perhaps the entire party isn't obsessed by taking swipes at the opposition, perhaps there are real politicians lurking in there somewhere.

Back on topic...Italy is in crisis, it seems they have turned to a politician who they feel can get them out of crisis regardless of the past misdemeanours of the man. I wouldn't vote for him and i certainly wouldn't vote for some of his quasi-facist allies, but i get the sense that italy needs a charismatic leader to sort out it's ills. Only time will tell with he is the man for the job or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Fine Gael have been around for a bit longer than that.
    I haven't.
    Stick around long enough and you'll find out it's more than 'one'. Three in Bertie's time alone. In fact, every single one since 1982! If you learn any lesson from Silvio, it's never say die I guess. So you should appreciate the 'hats off' sentiment in the thread.
    Things are looking better than ever for us right now.
    Don't worry. As soon as FG get the whiff of power, it'll be back to the days of feathering Denis O'Brien's nest again. Power corrupts. You lot just don't get any of it!
    A) Michael Lowry is no longer a member of Fine Gael.
    B) See top.

I am pie wrote: »
    Now I'm no cheerleader for FF*, but after reading some of posts in the last few pages by a FG party member i'd be hard pushed to vote for them in an election, which i would definitely have considered previously. Perhaps the entire party isn't obsessed by taking swipes at the opposition, perhaps there are real politicians lurking in there somewhere.
    Did you miss the card carrying Fianna Fail member's comments regarding the possibility of having a convicted rapist as Taoiseach?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55555647#post55555647
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55555574#post55555574
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55555311#post55555311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

...and so it continues.
    :rolleyes:

...and so it continues.
    I'll give as good as I get from yourself and the other Bertie cheerleaders. If you lie down with dogs you'll catch fleas.

• Advertisement

...and so it continues.

Apparently you're a Bertie cheerleader too now!

I think you have to start foaming at the mouth and spitting invective about rapists and paedophiles and FF and Dev and blind allegiance and scumbags and sleeping with dogs...and then you'll be neutral and objective, like Fine Gael 'cheerleader! Ballooba!!

Anyway, as the OP, this thread has moved a mile from where I wanted it to be, and has just become yet another anti FF rant by a poster. Admin, you can shut it down.

Apparently you're a Bertie cheerleader too now!
    Read the linked posts.

The thread has actually been quite worthwhile Conor in further exposing the lack of integrity of Fianna Fail and it's supporters. Thank you.

ballooba wrote: »
    Thank you.

:D:D

Your work is done. You have tied us in knots. You almost strayed on topic once or twice, fair play!!

:D:D

Your work is done. You have tied us in knots. You almost strayed on topic once or twice, fair play!!
    Most certainly...
    • Berlusconi
    • CJ Haughey
    • Bertie Ahern
    • Convicted Rapists
    • Convicted Murderers
    All acceptable leaders according to Fianna Fail supporters.

Most certainly...
    • Berlusconi
    • CJ Haughey
    • Bertie Ahern
    • Convicted Rapists
    • Convicted Murderers
    All acceptable leaders according to Fianna Fail supporters.

Suuuuuuuuuuuure.

You read some posts on the internet and you can make sweeping generalisations about FF accepting rapists and murders!

If I asked for this thread to be closed down, I retract it. Please keep it open for my amusement.

Go on ballooba, stamp your foot again! It's hilarious. I especially like the use of bulletin points to emphasise your position. If anything proves the link between FF and murderers, it's those bulletin points!

• Advertisement

You read some posts on the internet and you can make sweeping generalisations about FF accepting rapists and murders!
    Those comments were made on this thread. Are yourself and ninety9er not Fianna Fail supporters?

You yourself have not condemned any wrongdoing by Bertie Ahern, CJ Haughey or Berlusconi. You seem to actually admire the Italian political system for supporting Berlusconi judging by your comments on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Conor74 and Ballooba? Why defend either party? Why would you support a party? Why not try voting for policy? FF need to be given some credit for financial wealth but as policy goes they're pretty bleak, ultra conservative so I don't vote for them they just don't energise me when I think of them. Similarly I'm sorry I voted for FG, the reason I did was for a breath of fresh air and a chance to see what someone else can do. I'll probably never vote for them again either. They never ever stfu whining about FF its pathetic really low sh!t. FF spend their time convincing us that mediocrity is ok so that we won't be disappointed. Rant over.
    Could please enlighten me why you have to affiliate and start pissing each other off just to save face???:confused:

Conor74 and Ballooba? Why defend either party? Why would you support a party? Why not try voting for policy?
    I actually do follow policy rather than party. At times of flux it's natural to look around and see if you should be moving on yourself. I have been watching Eamon Gilmore and I am quite impressed by him and what he's doing in Labour. I don't like that Labour are beholden to the trade unions though.

My opposition to the Bertie Ahern and CJ Haughey is more to do with the direction they are dragging our political system than any partisanship. I'm also watching Brian Cowen and I hope he can cut the link with the legacy of corruption left by Ahern and Haughey. His friend Albert Reynolds certainly didn't achieve this so while I'm optimistic I'm cautiously so.

For the moment Fine Gael is going places and I'm happy where I am as long as they keep moving in the right direction.

You yourself have not condemned any wrongdoing by Bertie Ahern, CJ Haughey or Berlusconi.

I have condemned Haughey and Ahern plenty of times. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good ol' rant!

I haven't condemned Berlusconi. But as apparently I like rapists and murderers, that's hardly a huge criticism!
    Why defend either party? Why would you support a party? Why not try voting for policy?

What's so great about policy? FF, FG, Labour, none of them are driven by policy. They are driven by the desire to appeal. Anyone inside or outside the parties who think they have clear policy is having a laugh. That whole thing about FG being centre right or FF the Republican Party is rubbish. They'll both do whatever it takes, plucking ideas from left and right wing thinking, whatever is expediant.

All I remember is the late 70s on, and throughout that time I just thought FF led governments did better. That's it.

I have condemned Haughey and Ahern plenty of times. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good ol' rant!
    Good to hear. Let them never be hled up as an example to others.
    I haven't condemned Berlusconi. But as apparently I like rapists and murderers, that's hardly a huge criticism!
    I never said you did support rapists and murderers.
    What's so great about policy? FF, FG, Labour, none of them are driven by policy. They are driven by the desire to appeal. Anyone inside or outside the parties who think they have clear policy is having a laugh. That whole thing about FG being centre right or FF the Republican Party is rubbish. They'll both do whatever it takes, plucking ideas from left and right wing thinking, whatever is expediant.
    It's unfortunate that our 'leaders' do not lead and rather are led. That's not a criticism of Fianna Fail but our politicians in general.

I mentioned above that Michael McDowell's departure was a bitter sweet event. The reason I say that is because while I might not have agreed with him all of the time and indeed campaigned against him, he did have leadership qualities. Something that is lacking in Irish politics at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

...What's so great about policy?

There politicians its kind of there job?
    All I remember is the late 70s on, and throughout that time I just thought FF led governments did better. That's it.

Yep all I can say its not the 70's anymore and it never will be again. Did they actually lead better governments? If so at what cost? Maybe I'm wrong. I would like to know how you feel about what they're doing with Ireland right now despite the obvious? The way I see it Ireland is a brilliant place if:
      If you live in Dublin
      You're willing to be labeled Catholic
      You don't mind driving everywhere
      You love drinking
      You don't need broadband etc.
      You're really healthy and not very old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I said rapists and murderers could be good Taoisigh. None of those represent someone I'd willingly have as Taoiseach, but on the other hand, personal experience shapes individuals and a stint in a prison could really shake someone up enough to, for example, know first hand what needs to be done with the justice system. No member of the Dáil can know that.

I'm not proposing it's a good idea, but what I'm saying is that one action doesn't relate to another, otherwise we'd all be unemployed for pissing on the toilet seat or such like.

Like Conor said. ballooba, you've done Fianna Fáil some service, we know it, no more of that:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

ninty9er wrote: »
    I said rapists and murderers could be good Taoisigh. None of those represent someone I'd willingly have as Taoiseach, but on the other hand, personal experience shapes individuals and a stint in a prison could really shake someone up enough to, for example, know first hand what needs to be done with the justice system. No member of the Dáil can know that.

I'm not proposing it's a good idea, but what I'm saying is that one action doesn't relate to another, otherwise we'd all be unemployed for pissing on the toilet seat or such like.

Funnily enough I broadly agree with the central theme of this post i.e. that people should have the chance for redemption and should not pay indefiniteley for past crimes.

However... I would have thought certain requirements were in order for people to achieve such redemption e.g.

- They should be honest about what they've done
    - They should demonstrate awareness of why it was wrong
    - They should show humility and genuine remorse
    - They should make appropriate reparation
    - They should be seen to pay some form of penalty

How many of the above could be said to apply to either Berlusconi or any of your FF top brass?

Would you elect a criminal who showed no sign of grasping what they'd done or why they maybe shouldn't have?

Frankly, the more Bertie denies, the hollower it sounds and the less I trust him... especially as little pieces of truth continue to emerge.

@Conor74: despite your sorry little attempts to backtrack, your thread title and first post say it all really: you're getting ready to celebrate the re-election of a corrupt leader. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
    I'll give you good odds that it isn't a llama.
    Michael Lowry
    Conor, 99er etc, perhaps you might care to remind me where Michael Lowry is now? (Along with a few other undesirable cretins like Beverly Cooper Flynn).

SeanW wrote: »
    I'll give you good odds that it isn't a llama.

Conor, 99er etc, perhaps you might care to remind me where Michael Lowry is now? (Along with a few other undesirable cretins like Beverly Cooper Flynn).

I never mentioned Lowry, I actually turned down the job of being his PA for this Dáil though.

Bev is again one of those aluded to that don't admit doing wrong, but she didn't vehimently defend what she did, when defending herself, after all, if you have a good job and your boss says jump, you do it. Not her biggest fan though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Ninety9er wrote: »
    Only for laws prohibiting criminally prosecuted (or whatever the correct phrase is), there is no reason why a convictred rapist, murderer or whatever you're having yourself, could not be the best Taoiseach ever to serve.

What Conor is getting at is that the incinuation that your bank account and ethics could be a shady as crude oil, does not mean you're not fit to serve in public office.

... and quoted by Peasant ...
    peasant wrote: »
    I just needed to quote this so that this classic doesn't dissapear in case you decide to edit it later and then claim "mature recollection", denying you ever said it.

This is by far the most ridiculous and sick attidude towards ethics and morals in politics that I have ever seen displayed ...and I mean ever ..and I have been around for a while.

You might want to add that first sentence there to your signature :D

Classic!!!

One of the few times I almost cheered aloud when reading something! Well done Peasant.

So good in fact that I'm it adding it to MY sig.

Like Conor said. ballooba, you've done Fianna Fáil some service, we know it, no more of that:D:D
    Yes. I do feel I did my bit in keeping up the pressure on the scumbag. The fact that Fianna Fail is better off without him isn't enough to sour that. Your welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Yes. I do feel I did my bit in keeping up the pressure on the scumbag. The fact that Fianna Fail is better off without him isn't enough to sour that. Your welcome.

What scumbag would that be?? yourself, Bertie or Eamon Gilmore??

What scumbag would that be?? yourself, Bertie or Eamon Gilmore??
    The level of comprehension of the english language afforded by the resource starved education system under Fianna Fail is a tragedy.

We have a new name for the "Sniveller" thanks to Eamonn Sweeney. I think it may well stick.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I can't see this thread dragging itself out of the gutter anytime soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement