Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who fits the gas connection on cooker?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

i have a gas top and electric oven - rangemaster being fitted this week. Electric side is fine, electrician wil connect that but do i need someone else for the gas connection?
    I have the hole out to the drum outside. So what kind of pipe do i feed through into the kitchen and is it a "Gas dude"that i have to get to connect it up or is it something the plumber can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Electrician or Plumber should be able to do it.

Who ever is doing it, make sure that they us gas fittings. i.e. valves should have yellow handles and the PTFE tape should be rated for gas use.

Also, if your hob is located directly above your oven then the piping must be hardpiped with copper as opposed to the flexible hose that you sometimes get with the hob. The reason for this is in case there is a fault with the oven and it burns through or melts the hose.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

Thanks for that Mike..
    Its a cooker with gas top and electric oven all in the 1 package but we'll make sure the correct pipework is done.
    All i have to do now is get the monster into position!
    Drag a few people in off the road to help

• Registered Users Posts: 46,163 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This might be better off in the DIY forum.

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Not sure what the exact legal requirements are but your insurance company may want to see a certificate from a certified gas fitter (often a plumber who has completed an additional course), especially if something goes wrong.

You may also have to change the nozzles depending on the type of gas you will be using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Natural Gas installations have to be done by registered gas installers.

It's the law now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

just make sure that the plumber is registered with bord gais or whoever your gas supplier is and that he fits an isolation valve thats easily accessible,plus he should test the installation from your gas meter with a "u gauge"
    if hes registered with your gas supplier he will have paid public liability and everything so your insurance company should never come into it

bordgais.ie has a list of registered fitters (thats if its natural gas you have)

and dont moan about the price,gas fitters are busy men :D:D:D

landydef wrote: »
    gas fitters are busy men :D:D:D

Not too busy for you honey ! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and dont moan about the price,gas fitters are busy men :D:D:D

no point moaning about the price. i wanted to get my gas fire hooked up before christmas. any certified installer i called was interested until they heard it was just a single fire. all they want to do i complete house jobs. 99% basically told me to p*ss off, took me 3 months to get someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

311: Read what the OP said - it's not natural gas, he's using a bottled gas (drum as he called it).

limerickbuild: I can't say I know the legalities of it but working with bottled gas is hugely different to plumbed natural gas. I can't ever see a scenario where every appliance that used bottled gas could only be worked on by certified gas installers. If it was the case then every gas barbecue and patio heater would have to come fully assembled!

I plumbed the gas to my own Rangemaster. It's probably the same as yours so I can give you a few tips if you want to go down that route, not that difficult a job if you're comfortable with plumbing already. As sesswhat said, you will probably also have to change the burner jets but that's quite a simple job too. There are a few important things to watch out for that already been mentioned here: proper gas rated PTFE tape (not the regular one), use of leak detectors, not using Boss White etc. on compression fittings etc.

As I said, I don't know the legalities of it, but it's not that difficult of a job.

MickLimk wrote: »
    311: Read what the OP said - it's not natural gas, he's using a bottled gas (drum as he called it).

Cheers for pointing that out McLimp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

yeah its a drum of gas to the rangemaster. Will check with Plumber when he returns and see what we can do.

thanks for all the advise, i'll be back if he's not up for the job. surely its not too hard for a girl.. i've figured out a few tasks in the last year!

311 wrote: »
    Cheers for pointing that out McLimp.

So you work in the plumbing business, have a vested interest in topics like this and post on Boards on a very regular basis. Why do you feel the need to try and insult me with a 'witty' remark when all I've done here is point out that your first post in this thread wasn't relevant due to the fact that the OP wasn't using natural gas?

I don't know about you ,but if someone that doesn't know me ,tells me what to do.
    I always do the same thing.

Safety is as important with liquid gas anyway ,it's just as flammable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

For the amueter diy ,a bit of washing up liquid is handy for making sure the pipe is fully connected correctly .Just a bit around the pipe ring will show of any air leak bubbles .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

So you work in the plumbing business, have a vested interest in topics like this and post on Boards on a very regular basis. Why do you feel the need to try and insult me with a 'witty' remark when all I've done here is point out that your first post in this thread wasn't relevant due to the fact that the OP wasn't using natural gas?

Where is the vested interest in topics like this which is really about doing the correct safe thing?

In relation to the OP, what is a drum of gas?

I never use the word vested ,I presume that means that I'm here to advertise my company.

I've never once PM'd anyone for a sale here ,on two occasions I offered help FOC to sort things out for people. And once I recommended a guy who works for himself in wicklow.

The only reason I post on this forum ,is because I get a lot of help with tech stuff on other forums on boards. I hope when I post ,that I'm not coming accross as arrogant .Thats not the way I am.

limerickbuild: I can't say I know the legalities of it but working with bottled gas is hugely different to plumbed natural gas. I can't ever see a scenario where every appliance that used bottled gas could only be worked on by certified gas installers. If it was the case then every gas barbecue and patio heater would have to come fully assembled!

I plumbed the gas to my own Rangemaster. It's probably the same as yours so I can give you a few tips if you want to go down that route, not that difficult a job if you're comfortable with plumbing already. As sesswhat said, you will probably also have to change the burner jets but that's quite a simple job too. There are a few important things to watch out for that already been mentioned here: proper gas rated PTFE tape (not the regular one), use of leak detectors, not using Boss White etc. on compression fittings etc.

As I said, I don't know the legalities of it, but it's not that difficult of a job.
    gas bbqs,patio heaters and super sers are not permanent installations, any permanent installation must be be fitted by a qualified fitter who has a GID cert or has a GI1 cert and is supervised by someone with a GID cert.
    if the OP ever had a fire her insurance wouldnt be worth the paper its writin on either would any of her appliance warrenties not to mention if there ever was a problem with with anything no fitter would ever touch it as the last person who worked on the system is legally to blame for any thing that goes wrong even if they havent touched the guilty appliance
    water supply, waste etc. are a different issue but i certainly would not be encouaging anybody not qualified to touch gas,have you thought about the carbon monoxide it will produce and is the ventilation into the room sufficent etc etc?

311 wrote: »
    I don't know about you ,but if someone that doesn't know me ,tells me what to do.
    I always do the same thing.

Safety is as important with liquid gas anyway ,it's just as flammable.

Maybe it's me but I can't understand what you're saying at the start here. Is it that you always try to insult someone you don't know? I don't recall anywhere where you were told what to do. It was simply pointed out to you that your first post on the thread wasn't directly relevant as the OP wasn't using natural gas.

Nowhere at any stage did I suggest that safety wasn't important.
    ircoha wrote: »
    Where is the vested interest in topics like this which is really about doing the correct safe thing?

In relation to the OP, what is a drum of gas?

Again, I didn't mention that safety wasn't important. My post referred to a couple of things to watch out for if the OP wanted to go down that route. I deliberately didn't mention fittings, pipework etc. or how to go about it.

A drum of gas is also known as a cylinder, e.g. butane or propane cylinders that can be used in conjunction with gas bbq's, gas heaters etc.
    gas bbqs,patio heaters and super sers are not permanent installations, any permanent installation must be be fitted by a qualified fitter who has a GID cert or has a GI1 cert and is supervised by someone with a GID cert.
    if the OP ever had a fire her insurance wouldnt be worth the paper its writin on either would any of her appliance warrenties not to mention if there ever was a problem with with anything no fitter would ever touch it as the last person who worked on the system is legally to blame for any thing that goes wrong even if they havent touched the guilty appliance
    water supply, waste etc. are a different issue but i certainly would not be encouaging anybody not qualified to touch gas,have you thought about the carbon monoxide it will produce and is the ventilation into the room sufficent etc etc?

Finally, someone who knows the regs and can let the rest of us know the legal position on this. Is this from I.S. 813 or elsewhere? I would never do any gas work for someone else. I'm pretty sure I've no leaks on my own installation as I spent so long checking it and I've been running on the same cylinder for almost two years now without needing to change it. Given your info, I think I'll get someone in to certify it even if only for insurance reasons. I have a CO alarm in the kitchen and ventilation is not a problem I have, in fact it's too much ventilation is an issue at the moment...

yeah from IS 813 2002, IS 644(EN30),also possibly IS 820 and the building regs 1997 plus the flexible pipework must conform to BS 3212 1991 and should be coloured red as opposed to yellow for natural gas ,your gas supply company should certify your installation for 150 quid,thats if its sound of course(if its not sound they will condemn it,not fix it)
    for LPG they pay most attention to siting of the cylinder,ventilation,and secure pipework(supported and soundness tested)also for a hob it must have an isolation valve and nothing should be less then 600mm above it for obvious reasons,also i think theres something about if the supply pipe is under a load bearing wall
    the installer should not only have a GID cert but should also own or be employed by a company thats registered on the register of gas installers.
    to register on this list the company would have to have public liability insurance (a whisker shy of 15 grand for a three man outfit in our case)
    the reason i have this info to hand is that i have a GI1 but am studying for the GID in the summer which is a 2 day a week for 6 weeks course and costs a 900 quid and thats after a 500 euro grant so theres obviuosly a lot to learn,you also have to go for a refresher course every couple of years
    if you feel the price is a bit steep you could always shop around although it might be worth not letting your builder's plumber know that your getting other prices to avoid any conflict or tension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Brian Dublin

i have a gas top and electric oven - rangemaster being fitted this week. Electric side is fine, electrician wil connect that but do i need someone else for the gas connection?
    I have the hole out to the drum outside. So what kind of pipe do i feed through into the kitchen and is it a "Gas dude"that i have to get to connect it up or is it something the plumber can do?

Well the installation will depend on the Gas and supplier you are using and the amount of gas held within the cylinder. If you are using the regular Callor Gas or Flow Gas small cylinder. They have a pressure regulator built into the fitting that goes on the normal cylinder. If you are tending to use the larger cylinders then a pressure-regulating valve can be wall mounted outside. With this you have an option of having two cylinders thus if you run out of gas in one you only have to switch over to the full one and have the empty one replaced. It’s simple to use.
    The connection to the cooker itself should be of ½ inch copper or suitable material. BUT BE WARNED ANY PIPE CARRYING GAS MUST BE PLACED WITHIN ANOTHER PIPE GOING TROUGH A WALL. It’s a simple sleeve. This is to prevent gas filling the cavity of a wall in the event of a leak in the pipeUnder the new regulations anyone working on a gas appliance must be registered to do so from the first of June. They will have to issue you with an RGI certificateThey have to charge you under the new legislation 5 euro plus the vat for it
    Now the prices of the cylinders are not cheep and Flow Gas or Callor Gas. Will install the cylinders for you at a fee.

You may also find cylinders available from ex LPG gas users who don’t use them any more and most are just glad to be rid of them
    But I will say this to you
    You wouldn’t want the brakes on your car to be replaced by someone unqualified to do so. Then don’t go and let someone unqualified to connect your Gas

Regards
    Brian

• Advertisement
Advertisement