Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ennis Water Problem - Sort it

• 22-04-2008 2:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭

As im sure everyone from Ennis (as i am) is aware of the undrinkable water in the town for the past 2 years, the question of have is what the hell is going on - it is not even a media story.

This is an absolute disgrace - its about time our politicians, ya thats you Timmy "do f all for Clare" Dooley got off his arse and started doing something. If this happened in any other part of the country there would be murder - imagine if the good people of Dublin had no water to drink or wash their teeth for that matter for 2 years.

I saw an article in 1 of our national papers last week listing towns with water problems and of about 20 places listed, Ennis wasnt even on it

This has gone on too long and something must be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

There was a period where it was front page of the Clare People and the Champion every single week. We're apparently one of the first places along with Galway that's getting a new water treatment facility because we're one of the places with the poorest quality water. Should be done by next year. It'd be nice if they waived a few years of water charges though because buying all the bottled stuff has cost us all the fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

I was shocked when I saw that article where Ennis wasn't even mentioned! Every time I go home my skin gets wrecked from washing in the water and I kept getting ill (would stay away from the tap water but get caught out with ice cubes, etc), nearly got in trouble at work as they wouldn't believe that I could be getting ill from water. Totally disgraceful, and none of the talking heads seem to be doing anything about it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

Personally , I have not been drinking water from the taps in Ennis for the last two years..even wash teeth with bottled water..AND ..I heard yesterday that more something different (rhymes with HIT) is in the water again this week due to heavy Rainfall..
    Remember last year when a similar problem happened in Galway ...FIXED in no time at all
    SO I am beginning to wonder if problems in Ennis will ever get solved ..not even mentioning the hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

I honestly think some sort of a protest is called for, its gone well beyond a joke, we are talking about the health of our own town and the surrounding areas. I am not sure yet what form of protest should be met but i feel we have to do something - the more i think about it the angrier i get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

In fairness, it could be worse, you could be in Ballynacally where not only is there a water shortage, but there is also a faint taste of blood from it.

• Advertisement

Ya it could be worse is exactly the type of attitude that is getting us nowhere, ah sure who needs running water anyways

They are sorting it though. The new plants being built at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daveskig

Of course all of the treads are valid - it is an appauling problem and there DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE enough action to resolve. More information from CCC would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It's like this - FF keeps sending our resources and money to Dublin. As long as people keep electing FF TD's who tow the party line and do whats best for Dublin and not Clare, we can expect things like this to continue on.

I mean, the hospital has been an issue for 10 years! The water has been an issue for 10 years! In that time period FF TD's have made broken promise after broken promise, and yet they keep getting elected.

Until people cop on an realise that these people are not doing us an good and elect another party in masse, then we will continue to have the water/hospital/other issues lingering.

Why should they do anything when they can do feck-all and still get re-elected?

Exactly and dont forget Shannon when our own elected TD's chose to remain silent. I mean what has Timmy Dooley done for Clare since he got in - nothing but vote against the region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Mont wrote: »
    Exactly and dont forget Shannon when our own elected TD's chose to remain silent. I mean what has Timmy Dooley done for Clare since he got in - nothing but vote against the region

He's a FF TD - but he's certainly not our public representative. I had high hopes when he went on the walk in Shannon in support of Aer Lingus. If he stuck to his guns and resigned the FF whip he would have become a folk hero and be an automatic TD every election. Instead, he should never get elected again IF the electorate have any cop on. (That's a big IF)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I look forward to having a chat with him when he calls around come the next election, he has failed to reply to any of my mails or texts.

Don't forget, he's a party man, not a Clare man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

CptSternn wrote: »
    It's like this - FF keeps sending our resources and money to Dublin. As long as people keep electing FF TD's who tow the party line and do whats best for Dublin and not Clare, we can expect things like this to continue on.
    And if Anna Prior had been elected instead of Timmy Dooley or Tony Kileen or Pat Breen and was currently spending her time in Dublin voting against the government in every single issue she would be achieving what exactly?

CptSternn wrote: »
    I mean, the hospital has been an issue for 10 years! The water has been an issue for 10 years! In that time period FF TD's have made broken promise after broken promise, and yet they keep getting elected.
    You do realise that this is currently in progress?
    5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    He's a FF TD - but he's certainly not our public representative. I had high hopes when he went on the walk in Shannon in support of Aer Lingus. If he stuck to his guns and resigned the FF whip he would have become a folk hero and be an automatic TD every election. Instead, he should never get elected again IF the electorate have any cop on. (That's a big IF)

And by voting against the government what would he have achieved?
    The only way to change things in government is from within the government!
    Clareman wrote: »
    Don't forget, he's a party man, not a Clare man
    He is from Clare, and Clare elected him with damn near a full quota on the first count, he's not going to forget that

And for the record, the Ennis Water Treatment plant is currently under development, what do you expect the T.D.'s to do? Wave a magic wand and fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭romah

romah wrote: »
    Personally , I have not been drinking water from the taps in Ennis for the last two years..even wash teeth with bottled water..AND ..I heard yesterday that more something different (rhymes with HIT) is in the water again this week due to heavy Rainfall..
    Remember last year when a similar problem happened in Galway ...FIXED in no time at all
    SO I am beginning to wonder if problems in Ennis will ever get solved ..not even mentioning the hospital.

Just another issue in Ennis that has arisen and has remained unsolved is the state of Ennis National School ..but probably should have a thread of its own :confused:
    More Government apathy and its empty promises etc etc towards Ennis and its environs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

angelfire9 wrote: »
    And if Anna Prior had been elected instead of Timmy Dooley or Tony Kileen or Pat Breen and was currently spending her time in Dublin voting against the government in every single issue she would be achieving what exactly?

I sense anti Sinn Fein here??

The point made was that Timmy Dooley made promises about Shannon, the hospital etc and didnt follow up on them. He voted for government non interference in the removal of the shannon heathrow service. His silence on the issue was shocking. He towed the party line.

Clareman was spot on, he's a party man not a clare man and if comon sense prevails he hasn't a hope of bieng re-elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

romah wrote: »
    Just another issue in Ennis that has arisen and has remained unsolved is the state of Ennis National School ..but probably should have a thread of its own :confused:
    More Government apathy and its empty promises etc etc towards Ennis and its environs
    Ennis National School is not the only school in town with prefabs, i was in it yesterday during when it was open for the referendum and the state of the place is pathetic, its filthy for one thing and could do with a good lick of paint, compare to the CBS who's building is far older and in far better condition (and they have prefabs there too by the way) why is the National school in worse condition than a school that's been around since the 1920's????
    eddiehobbs wrote: »
    I sense anti Sinn Fein here??
    Absolutely!
    eddiehobbs wrote: »
    The point made was that Timmy Dooley made promises about Shannon, the hospital etc and didnt follow up on them. He voted for government non interference in the removal of the shannon heathrow service. His silence on the issue was shocking. He towed the party line.
    There was nothing they could have done about shannon! And the hospital re-development is in progress!

The National School building a cheap job to begin with so that's why it's in worse condition than the CBS. Most public buildings from the 60s/70s are horrible. Freezing in winter and really hot in summer thanks to the massive windows. I'd be more worried about the quality of the teaching in schools than wether they're comfortable though. You can always get your kid a warm jacket. I spent a few years in prefab classrooms and didn't really care much either way. The cost of renting the things is so high though it's a wonder the government doesn't hurry up and build something permanent because it'd be much cheaper in the medium term.

They should just build a new school on the same site. Moving the place out of town isn't a good idea because town kids should be able to walk/be walked to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Heard on Clare FM this morning that the council are urging water users to conserve their usage. Something to do with the volume of rainfall in the past few weeks.

The water issue generally throughout the county is a joke. I appreciate that the hands of the county council are tied in that they are dependent on the Government for funding but this is becoming a national disgrace.

Thousands of gallons falling from the sky and people are being asked to conserve! What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

RoisinD wrote: »

Thousands of gallons falling from the sky and people are being asked to conserve! What a joke.

Exactly. It should be a legal requirement of planning that all new houses have rainwater collection for toilet flushing, washing machine , gardening etc. Manufacturing should be encouraged to collect and store rainwater onsite themselves in a simialr fashion. Its the only way to go, large volume sources suitable to be treated for public consumption are becoming scarce!

Treated water should be used for drinking only. At the moment, its used for everything from car washes to stripping paint from houses. Its a shocking waste of something that costs us all money.

Advertisement