Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilian Priest

• 22-04-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

A Catholic priest is missing off the coast off Brazil after floating off while strapped to hundreds of helium balloons. Fr Adelir Antonio de Carli and up to 1,000 balloons lifted off from the port city of Paranagua on Sunday afternoon. The priest was wearing a helmet, a thermal suit and a parachute.Rescuers in helicopters and small fishing boats have been searching off the coast of Santa Catarina state, where pieces of balloons were found. The priest was attempting to break a 19-hour record for the most hours flying with balloons to raise money for a spiritual rest stop for truckers in Paranagua. However Fr De Carli was reported missing about eight hours later after losing contact with port authority officials.

Link

I can see this story taking off...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

Sounds like it all ballooned out of hand to me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Yeah, it's being blown up out of all proportion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Looks like fun!

index_01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The priest was attempting to break a 19-hour record for the most hours flying with balloons to raise money for a spiritual rest stop for truckers in Paranagua.

Huh?:confused:

How about having a spiritual rest home for Dublin taxi drivers, ie 6 feet down a bog in Offaly!:p

I remember there was a guy that got into trouble in the USA for going up into the clouds on a deckchair roped onto a heap of balloons. He showed up on radar and planes had to be diverted-think he took off from his backyard in LA. He was taken to court by the Federal air authority, and made swear that he would never ascend into the clouds again.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's not that nutcase Horan from Kerry in disguise again, is it?

Come to think of it - any chance of him trying to jump on an olympic torch carrier?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It's not that nutcase Horan from Kerry in disguise again, is it?

Come to think of it - any chance of him trying to jump on an olympic torch carrier?

Fr Horan from Scartaglen? The dancing priest?

Wouldn't like to be on the ground and be looking up his kilt as he edged towards the sky.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

'I need to get in touch with the ground crew so that they can teach me how to use this GPS tracking device,' he said in his final recording transmitted by local television.

Looks like he at least managed to find the "Off" button...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Another Darwin Award candidate tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

What was going through his mind? Was he trying to reach "Heaven"?

LMFAO

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0422/newsspecial_av.html?2365281,null,230

Oh and is it just me or do the balloons look like a Cokc and Balls?

Hey that looks like a huge flying... Woody?... Can I have your autograph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

One report said he was using 6 year old orphan boys as counter weights..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone remember Lawn Chair Larry ?
    www.darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

How about having a spiritual rest home for Dublin taxi drivers, ie 6 feet down a bog in Offaly!:p

I can imagine it being pretty difficult to get home in that case.

Unless they replaced taxis with stands where you could get hundreds of helium balloons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dragging up this thread with some sad news today. :(
    Police have confirmed that a body found off the coast of Brazil is that of a priest who went missing after tying himself to hundreds of helium-filled balloons as part of a fund raising stunt.
    The adventurous Father de Carli had been raising money for a local charity when he disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean three months ago.
    Fr de Carli lifted off from the port city of Paranagua in April attached to a thousand helium filled party balloons, equipped with a parachute, float, satellite phone and navigator.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0730/decarli.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sherifu wrote: »
    Dragging up this thread with some sad news today. :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0730/decarli.html

.. and did they find the 6 year old boys he was using as counter weights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

snyper wrote: »
    .. and did they find the 6 year old boys he was using as counter weights?
    They haven't checked his pants yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

What goes up, must come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Apparently he radioed in sometime after he'd floated off to 30,000 feet that he didn't know how to work his GPS device, which was supposed to help them track him in case of emergency.

Now if i have one piece of advice to anyone thinking of floating off over the Atlantic at 30,000 feet in a chair attached to balloons, who life is relying on a GPS device .......

learn how to use it first ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jnthnallen

Searches were launched and a bundle of bright balloons were found near the point when he last made contact.

Ha ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Silly priest. Darwin Award for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

i see they found the priests body....
    http://www.rte.ie/aertel/110-01.html
    should he have done it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Aw, that's so sad. The guy seemed like such a hero. Maybe he shouldn't have done it, but you gotta love his adventurous spirit. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Hang on, a priest tied to a load of helium balloons... and they lost him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Weidii wrote: »
    Hang on, a priest tied to a load of helium balloons... and they lost him?
    yeah not long after he took off either....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

didnt they think of tracking his satellite phone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Poor guy, just trying his bit I guess.

How can they lose a guy connected via a GPRS system? And em not notice a man attached to a lot of helium balloons ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

batteries went? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Something tells me he hadn't thought this stunt through.......

Poor chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

batteries went? :pac:

Energizer duracell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

msg11 wrote: »
    How can they lose a guy connected via a GPRS system?

He didn't know how to work it. Honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thread already right there on page 1 -

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055280095

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What a dope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a dope!

Ah now there's no need for that. To be fair to the OP, the thread was towards the bottom of the page :pac:

Advertisement