Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any chance of a garda road wars?

• 22-04-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

just think it would be cool, it would be good PR aswell.i know crimecall is the closest we may get. rte did a short series with the fire brigade a few years back(or maybe it was a once off) but it worked and was interesting. and it could improve the publics perception of the gardai......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

We haven't got enough Traffic Corps gardai to run such a programme. IIRC there are only 250 members of the Traffic Corps for the entire country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

andrewh5 wrote: »
    We haven't got enough Traffic Corps gardai to run such a programme. IIRC there are only 250 members of the Traffic Corps for the entire country!

250 are you sure?

Traffic Corps
    The Garda Traffic Corps is dedicated to the enforcement of road traffic legislation and also to aid the free flow of traffic generally.

The first Traffic Corps Unit was established in Dublin in 1953 and was extended nationwide in 1973.

The Traffic Corps is currently undergoing a significant expansion of personnel. The current strength stands at 745 Gardaí (November 2006). This strength is being progressively increased to a target level of 1,200

Re:Garda website you were a good bit off!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I agree, inside looks would improve peoples opinion and understanding but it would also show the shortcomings in equipment etc and they dont want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Prime Time did something like this a couple of years back..for ONE episode

One episode involved a camera crew with plain clothes detectives in an unmarked car chasing joyriders..
    Another part followed uniform Gardai on an average Saturday night.

Prime Time sometimes do specials w/ Gardai,but nothing major.I have seen a video taken from Garda heli in one episode,it showed Gardai chasing stolen car in Dublin..just like Road Wars.So it is plausible..however I think an Irish take on Street Crime UK would be better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

They're doing one for customs who have alot more short comings then the guards.

RTÉ's ratings would sky rocket, bring it on I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

andrewh5 wrote: »

Road wars follows roughly the same people around each episode, about ten different coppers in total from the same region. Numbers isn't an issue, they could do it with five coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd love it

I agree, inside looks would improve peoples opinion and understanding but it would also show the shortcomings in equipment etc and they dont want that.

ya but have you ever seen the guys on the sky 1 shows ever out in a tattered uniform or old car? its all pr for the police they police management wont show the police as an underresourced as it makes them look bad and public faith can diminish, good to watch though.

and seeing as they keep making them there must be demand for the sky 1 one's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

I know a couple lads from TVP who've been on Road Wars and they came across really well on the show. Don't think it did their careers any harm either.

I think most of these shows do the job a favour as they attract potential recruits to the job with promises of action and excitement. Yep we all know that it doesn't paint the picture of an ordinary day, I think everyone knows that. But at the same time I've had my fair share of high-speed pursuits with '99( ASU) running the commentary, and haven't seen anything on these shows that I haven't experienced in one way, shape or form during my police service, so I don't think an entirely inaccurate picture is painted either.

I think all in all these shows are a good PR bit for the job and the Guards could do with more good PR to promote better understanding (note the buzzwords?) of the work done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tintin

Anybody remember the prime time "special" from a few years back where the gardai were slated for assaulting people, abuse of power, etc. etc?? The whole programme was later discredited due to the participation of some less than savoury characters whose claims were just a little too much on the imaginary side...I remember being told before that the gardai gave full permission and granted access to the AC for interviews (who was then ambushed) for that show, but management were led to believe the episode being made was about something entirely different....anyways, senior management at the time swore they'd never work with prime time again, so I cant imagine they'll be in any rush to sign up to any shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭opti76

i can imagine it now " dave and mark are in ua 1 chasing a suspected stolen car
    ua1 control any chance of alpha sierra givin us a dg out with this

no chance lads the wind is above 11 mph so they wont fly

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

opti76 wrote: »
    i can imagine it now " dave and mark are in ua 1 chasing a suspected stolen car
    ua1 control any chance of alpha sierra givin us a dg out with this

no chance lads the wind is above 11 mph so they wont fly

Papa Charlie 1 from India delta 4, we are in hot pursuit of a........car......make that a red car.......registration zero one delta....... make that niner seven lima kilo........ we are traveling down west no east Dominic street no donnelly street **** I've dropped the map 'PJ can you use that sat nav thing' 'feck off we have to do the course on it yet'........we've lost him (he's lost us again!!!)

Tune in next week to see how or if the chase commences :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

roadruner wrote: »
    Papa Charlie 1 from India delta 4, we are in hot pursuit of a........car......make that a red car.......registration zero one delta....... make that niner seven lima kilo........ we are traveling down west no east Dominic street no donnelly street **** I've dropped the map 'PJ can you use that sat nav thing' 'feck off we have to do the course on it yet'........we've lost him (he's lost us again!!!)

Tune in next week to see how or if the chase commences :D
    I was reading that on my phone at work laughing to myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Having visited GASU(Garda Air Support Unit) about 8 years ago they had loads of material from the Copper choppers that would make riveting viewing on TV. Suprised none of it has ever been shown.

Poor buggers are up and down every 2 minutes on a saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭afatbollix

the minister of justus has said that no body working for him can do a tv interview again... after some interview where they were showed up... A lot of people i know what to make a show on it and the gardai wont answer the calls/ letters...

one guy did get a reply that they recived his letter 9 months later!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭opti76

ya the was nacie rice who is now an A.C.

made a holy show of himself and the force on primetime a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I saw Nacie Rice on Primetime and although he did come across badly I don't think it was entirely his fault. He was rolled out in front of the cameras to face questions on age old discipline procedures that were extremely diffucult to defend.

He was slaughtered but in reality the AGS as a whole looked bad from the public point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ANy links to video or articles ?

random wrote: »
    ANy links to video or articles ?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0108/garda.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

For all you Road Wars fans here's some new stuff from Thames Valley's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

i agree with a previous post about gasu, they must have loads of interesting footage. The brits seem to have their latest aerial footage of chases on the t.v. within weeks! why dont the GS release some of their material?? Good PR as far as i can see.

Advertisement