Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recumbent bikes

Options
  • 22-04-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

can anyone give me some pros and cons, or a comparison or even a link to a comparison of regular bikes versus recumbent bikes?

thanks./

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ditpoker wrote: »
    can anyone give me some pros and cons, or a comparison or even a link to a comparison of regular bikes versus recumbent bikes?

thanks./

Built a few expensive recumbants a fe years ago, there are some really good ones out there and some really bad ones. The one i built had 24 speed high spec SRAM components with V-brakes but good ones. Was top quality gear on it.

The pros are they are very comfortable and put less strain on the back as you are not leaning over the bars. They also get great power from the legs due to the body's position. Also lots of fun.

The cons are that you are low to the ground so have less visibity of what is up ahead and also harder to react to situations. Also drivers wont see you easy so got to be careful on the road.

Maintenance wise they generally are setup in the same way as any other bike in terms of gearing and brakes (with a very very long chain most of the time going from the front to the back) but if a part goes on the frame or a linkage part goes then can be annoying getting parts.

When i built one i gave it a good testing and they were great fun. We had two being built and so much fun and they turn heads. but dont think i would have liked one for everyday use but some do.

Advertisement