Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Hobb - Liveship Traders

Options
  • 22-04-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a huge fan of Robin Hobb. I've read the Farseer Trilogy and jsut finished the Tawny Man trilogy.

I was wondering how The Liveship Traders trilogy measures up to the two I've read. I mean those were incredible.Some of my favourite books.

So is the traders one better,worse,around the same?

Thanks

Ciarán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I tought them to be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Worse in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Liveship was by far my favourite of all her trilogies. But theres only one way to find out for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Thanks for the replies people. I'll probably pick it up in a while. Glad to hear good reviews as I cant get enough of the other trilogies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

liveship traders is a good read, just don't bother with the next series unless your a masochist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I enjoyed the liveship traders. Of her trilogies that is my favourite, development of all of the characters is superb, including the ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

The Liveship Traders was the best of the three series followed by the The Farseer Trilogy . Fitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

The Liveship Traders is one of the best trilogies I've ever read. In fact The Liveship Traders and the Book of Words by JV Jones are my two favoruite trilogies of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Liveship Traders was the best alright.
    the two you read were excellent too. I read the tawny man before the liveship traders too - a couple of plot points will be revealed/apoiled because of this.
    Soldier's Son trilogy the worst by far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's very different from The Farseer Trilogy.

Still great though :)

I was really dissappointed by the soldiers son trilogy, had the potential and then went off the rails about 2/3'rds into the first book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've actually enjoyed all her works so far and that includes what I've read of the Soldier's Son trilogy (the first two books) which, while not as good still retain much of the writing style and persuasive characterisations that I enjoy.

Her next book is a one off and returns to the world of the Liveship Traders, so that's some good news for those here! More specifically it's set in the River Wilds and she ain't saying more than that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FitzTheBear

ixoy wrote: »
    I've actually enjoyed all her works so far and that includes what I've read of the Soldier's Son trilogy (the first two books) which, while not as good still retain much of the writing style and persuasive characterisations that I enjoy.

Her next book is a one off and returns to the world of the Liveship Traders, so that's some good news for those here! More specifically it's set in the River Wilds and she ain't saying more than that yet.

The book is called Homecoming, and it was brilliant too! Written in a new style (to Fitz and the Liveships Traders). I have to say though that I felt very let down by the Soldier Son Trilogy.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's published on its own anywhere, my copy is in a book called "Legends 2(Legends II)" A book of 11 new short stories from various fantasy authors. Worth it just for "Homecoming".

Brian

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The book is called Homecoming, and it was brilliant too! Written in a new style (to Fitz and the Liveships Traders). I have to say though that I felt very let down by the Soldier Son Trilogy.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's published on its own anywhere, my copy is in a book called "Legends 2(Legends II)" A book of 11 new short stories from various fantasy authors. Worth it just for "Homecoming".
    No I believe this a full-length novel rather than a novella which "Homecoming" was (and which I greatly enjoyed in "Legends II"). Maybe it's based in the same lost city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FitzTheBear

ixoy wrote: »
    No I believe this a full-length novel rather than a novella which "Homecoming" was (and which I greatly enjoyed in "Legends II"). Maybe it's based in the same lost city?

Thanks Ixoy, you've just made my week! I was so let down by the Soldier Son Trilogy I wasn't even hoping for more, but the prospect of a new one from that series is brilliant!!!

Cheers,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i have read everything written under robin hobb - and they are all excellent. i did enjoy the liveship traders, some very interesting ideas & characters in it.

has anyone read the megan lindholm stuff, is it as good

Advertisement