Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E6300 Overclocking

Options
  • 22-04-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Never thought about trying it before, but I've noticed a lot of people getting good results overclocking this so thought I'd try myself.

Didn't get very far though. It seems quite stable at a 300 FSB with the vcore down to 1.25V, but won't post at 333, even overvolting the CPU and RAM. I guess my cheapo PC2-4200 is the problem here? I bought it thinking "ah sure I'll never need to overclock" - I was upgrading from a P3 after all (it was €130 for a gig at the time too :eek:). Other people seem to be getting 370FSB+ plus on stock cooler. The board's an MSI 975X Platinum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Faster ram. Any good 800mhz stuff will hit 1066mhz speeds easily and with it, will come a champion overclock. I got my 4300 (60mhz slower) to 3.4Ghz air cooling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Have you tried putting the ram on a divider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The only divisions I can see would be running the RAM at a higher speed than the FSB, if that's what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

MemoryC has cheap 800MHz starting at €33 (+€5 delivery).
    I got these for a friend, and went up to 1000MHz on first boot (1.9V Vdimm), bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sorry zilog, it's been a while since i overclocked, and the last time i did you could change the memory timings using dividers to let them run at higher speeds (my a64 roots showing :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most new boards don't have a divider lower than 1:1 so your stuck till you get faster ram. You can run it faster but not slower. Remember @ 300fsb on the cpu with ram at 1:1 divider, ram is running at 600mhz and is overclocked by 67mhz as its rated to run at 533mhz

All mobos are different tho, investigate if you have a lower divider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah I know the RAM is running at 600MHz, but it seems to be OK with it - I run 2 clients of FAH all the time and there's been no problems... yet. Not too bad for Corsair "Value Select" RAM :)

I've made a deal with my brother that I'll build his new PC in turn for 2GB of PC6400 :D. Any recommendations for particular brands, or does it only matter with the fancier stuff?

Great success undervolting to 1.25V (CPU-Z says it's 1.216) - the temps haven't gone above 47 degrees yet. At stock speeds/vcore it was 50-52 max. 13% overclock and 10% temperature drop - it's been win-win so far!

Also, should I do something about cooling the northbridge? It seems to be the hottest thing in the PC, and there's just a rather crappy looking heatsink on it right now (pic here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Go with ones chosen linked, they're 800mhz and should see out your oc as i feel other things (temps or mobo) will hinder you before that.

Enjoy it mate, cos this is the extra bit you get for free when you buy an Intel cpu these days, great value for money

Advertisement