Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database hacked

Options
  • 22-04-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

One of the sites I did was attacked by a virus. Basically its after inputting a line of code in column which links to a dodgy bit of javascript. How can I remove the inputted line. It resembles this

text text text<script src=http://www.xyz.com/dodgyscript.js></script>.

So basically I need to remove what’s between the <script> tags. There are about 9000 entries in this table.

What SQL could I run on this to remove it from the column?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What RDBMS is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭The Mighty Dubs

its Microsoft sql Server 2000

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hi there,

Maybe try something like the following:
    DECLARE @SearchStr AS VARCHAR(200)
    SET @SearchStr = '<script src=http://www.xyz.com/dodgyscript.js></script>'

UPDATE YourTable 
    SET YourColumn = REPLACE(YourColumn, @SearchStr, '') 
    WHERE CHARINDEX(@SearchStr, YourColumn) > 0 

It assumes the dodgy string you want to replace is the same for every row. Also you might not need the WHERE clause at all. Hope it's of some use. Note: There is no space between those single quotations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Also then fix the original problem, or you're going to be right back to square one soon enough.

Thanks for that. That god rid of that unwanted code for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

FruitLover wrote: »
    Also then fix the original problem, or you're going to be right back to square one soon enough.
    I'd also echo this. I'd also suggest that it's very unlikely to be a virus and far more likely to be an SQL-injection attack against your web application that will re-occur if the problem isn't fixed.

Any suggestions to how i might prevent another one of these SQL Injection attacks would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Any suggestions to how i might prevent another one of these SQL Injection attacks would be much appreciated.

Plenty of info on the web regarding SQL injections, though you should have a look through the specific patches and recommendations on the Micro$oft site for your version of SQL server.

Your lucky it was just a few records that got affected and that your not currently trying to recover your site from a backup!. Wouldn't waste anytime in patching it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Sanitize your input, use whitelists rather than blacklists so that you only take what you want and expect rather than what you dont.

And do a HTMLEncode on all output so that the script will be outputted as text and not rendered as HTML...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

And its not an SQL Injection its a Code/Script Injection...

Different techniques in prevention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

What language did you use for the website? And the column which contained the javascript, how is that populated?

You should also look into finding out where the script file is hosted, you might be able to get them shutdown.

Advertisement