Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate Floor

Options
  • 22-04-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently laying my laminate floor and the skirting board is right down to the floor and there is no gap for the laminate to fit neatly under it. I dont fancy taking off the board as i cannot see any nails/screws and all the walls are painted and i am worried that i may pull off plaster with the board. What is the best thing to d i have seen the trim that you can fit to the end of the skirting board, does this look ok at the end of the job.

Regards
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I did that in one of my bedrooms. It looks fine to me but it's down to individual taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you wanted, you could always put add some floor molding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Tony255 wrote: »
    i have seen the trim that you can fit to the end of the skirting board, does this look ok at the end of the job.
    Looks like crap tbh, but taking off the skirting can be a painfull & messy job.
    Most so-called professionals will use the moulding rather than take off the skirting board.

& thats why DIY is better than getting someone in, you can go to the trouble of doing it properly (or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Tony255 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am currently laying my laminate floor and the skirting board is right down to the floor and there is no gap for the laminate to fit neatly under it. I dont fancy taking off the board as i cannot see any nails/screws and all the walls are painted and i am worried that i may pull off plaster with the board. What is the best thing to d i have seen the trim that you can fit to the end of the skirting board, does this look ok at the end of the job.

Regards
    Tony

Personally I'd take up the skirting (if a jobs worth doing.....) Reason being, it keeps the laminate down against the floor and stops is from rising at the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I have taken off the skirting in the past. It's really the best solution. Try & get new skirting that's 1 or 2 inches higher that the one you are taking off & that should mask any damage. Also run a stanley blade just at the top of the existing skirting & this should cut any paint that's stuck to the skirting.

Tim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

TigerTim wrote: »
    run a stanley blade just at the top of the existing skirting & this should cut any paint that's stuck to the skirting.
    Yes, thank you, thats the tip I forget every fecking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I can't remember which flooring supplier it was, but there is a product that allows for the expansion but is not as ugly as the scotia moulding.

You lay the floor as normal, but leave a bigger gap all around the edges, then this trim is fitted tight to the skirting. The trim has a lip that covers the laminate and makes for a very neat job. It comes in the common laminate colours afaik.

Similar to this...
    lT.jpg95_universal.gif

Advertisement