Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anzac Day events

Options
  • 22-04-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

(Aussie/Kiwi expats in Ireland)

Hey, know there is a Anzac Day dawn service in Phoenix Park... anyone know if there is anything on in Galway? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

yeah any Ideas where we can catch the super 14 games too when we are at it..no anzac test:mad:

must be somewhere on for a anzac day session in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭merlynthewizard

symey08 wrote: »

Hey, know there is a Anzac Day dawn service in Phoenix Park... anyone know if there is anything on in Galway? Cheers.
    will be in town from about 4pm on the rip;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

symey08 wrote: »

You mean the 6:30 (aka "dawn" - yeah, right) on hosted by the Aussie Embassy?

Nope, not going to that, it's a bit early in the day :)

And that location might not be right .. quoting from elsewhere:

"Dawn service- The Australian embassy has invited members of the public to attend an ANZAC Dawn Service 6:30am 25 April 2008, Grangegorman Military Cemetery,Blackhorse Avenue, Dublin 7."

But I am going to the service at St Anne's Dawson St in Dubbers ... 7:30pm.
    Details here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=24843143120

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Some of the worst casualties of that farce in Turkey were suffered by the 10th Division and the 29th division .which contained many Irish soldiers.

Almost Twice as many Irishmen were killed in Gallipoli as were Kiwis but a lot fewer on a population weighed basis , then again the west of Ireland had Passchendaele where 1000's of Irish drowned in a sea of mud in a little over 2 weeks .

For many Irish Gallipoli and Passchendaele are all about the futility of fighting other peoples wars.

We don't do that sort of thing any more , we don't want to remember when we did .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Some of the worst casualties of that farce in Turkey were suffered by the 10th Division and the 29th division .which contained many Irish soldiers.

Almost Twice as many Irishmen were killed in Gallipoli as were Kiwis but a lot fewer on a population weighed basis , then again the west of Ireland had Passchendaele where 1000's of Irish drowned in a sea of mud in a little over 2 weeks .

No one's denying that: feel free to commemorate the events there in any way you please.
    For many Irish Gallipoli and Passchendaele are all about the futility of fighting other peoples wars.

For many New Zealanders (I can't speak for Aussies, but suspect it's the same) ANZAC day is about the futility of war, no matter "whose" war it is. Being chided by an Irish person about involvement in fighting is rather, shall we politely say, unexpected!
    .... we don't want to remember when we did .

"Those who don't remember the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them". ... I may have the words slightly different from the original, but you get the idea. Or to use a more local phrase, "cop on".

• Advertisement

We don't do that sort of thing any more .

Vrooooom!!!! What was that, an American troop carrier passing through Shannon, perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

JustMary wrote:
    For many New Zealanders (I can't speak for Aussies, but suspect it's the same) ANZAC day is about the futility of war, no matter "whose" war it is. Being chided by an Irish person about involvement in fighting is rather, shall we politely say, unexpected!

I fail to see where I chided you anywhere, I was trying to explian why something of importance to the Antipodeans is not important to the Irish even though we took almost twice as many casualties in Gallipoli as the New Zealanders did . 2 sides of the same coin is what they are.
    "Those who don't remember the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them". ... I may have the words slightly different from the original, but you get the idea. Or to use a more local phrase, "cop on".

Now you are getting petty and tiresome maintaining that in the absence of an anzac type gig we Irish will inevitably go to war . Piss off with ya you small minded idiot and yes thats a chide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Whisht folks. No bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

JustMary wrote: »
    Vrooooom!!!! What was that, an American troop carrier passing through Shannon, perhaps?

:D

here's how it goes in Ireland - all things to do with commerating any irish who fought in British armed forces - bad. but we love Man Utd etc....

:D

Advertisement