Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short TEFL courses for qaulified teachers and funding

• 22-04-2008 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I am just finishing the Postgrauate Diploma in Education and I applied for a job teaching English as a Foreign Language in a summer school [I am an English teacher]. However they said I am not qualified because I don't have a TEFL certificate. But they said I could do a short 30 hour course that's designed with qualified school teachers and that I could possibly get EU funding to do it.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 KevinDublin

Yep...

Its a Certificate for the Teaching of English as a Foreign Language to Secondary Level Students (State Qualified Teachers). it's open to all state-qualified teachers and I think also to those in their final year of training).

Only "catch" is that you won't be qualified to teacher adults English.

It's similar to the usual CELT course but works on the assumption that you know how to handle a classroom in terms of management, methodolgy etc...

Not too many people run it but you'll get a list on the www.acels.ie site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Im doing that 30hr course in three weeks time. Im a final yr B.Ed. Never saw anything on you not being able to teach adults.

Yeah, I just double checked it and you won't be qualified to teach adults...

info here:

http://www.acels.ie/acelselt.htm#2

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Hi Kevin
    I'd be interested in doing either the CELT or prep TEFL course,
    any recommendations on where to study?
    CArol

Hi Carol,

Depends where you live i suppose :)

2 places i'd recommend in dublin are International House and Annalivia School - http://www.annaliviaschool.com/annaliviaschool/Main/TEFL.htm

Although I am probbaly biased (I work in Annalivia) :)

You'll get a full list of good courses on the www.acels.ie website.

If you see one that you like feel free to ask and I'll give a humble opinion...

• Advertisement

Quick question: On the notice of the 30hr TEFL thing im doing I rememeber reading something about to be fully recognised by acel you would have to do an hours supervised teaching in an acel listed school..does that mean if I did that my TEFL qualification would be extended to allow me to teach adults aswell? Or must I do another course for that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I'm starting the said course in Mary Immaculate on 10 May...actualy today...Wednesday is the closing date. I have a T.E.F.L Cert...which I believe covers adults already....was actualy within my B.A., I just want to revamp and update myself.

Im doing the course on the 19th.
    Yeah, I know a few B.Ed's who did TEFL as part of their course aswell. Handy out..suppose it gives ye something to do considering ye've hardly any hours!!:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So I signed up for one of these courses in a place in Bray later this month. They said that after I complete the course, I have to get my certificate stamped by the first school I work in. How important is this? Do I have to get it done straight away? And I don't end up teaching TEFL this summer, can the secondary school I work in stamp it for me?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Has to be supervised by a Department of education inspector within 3 years or you loose the qualification. Must be in a primary or secondary school. As I'm not currently teaching, I'll have to seek work experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LMulhaire

Does anyone have any experience of the Dublin School of English's TEFL Course? It's 115 hours and they do seem to give you a decent qualification but the whole TEFL/CELT/ACELS (whatever) thing has gotten so confusing lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Anybody any news on the funding form Europe that was mentioned in the first post?

Advertisement