Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass Irish?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey!Just thinkin of movin down to pass irish bcos im hopeless at irish and dont want to take a risk.Just wonderin If Someone here could explain de course to me(basically what do i have to do?)
    Also is it possible to get 420pts with only 5 hons subjects?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I'm not an irish teacher so i can't comment on that but pointswise

5 B2s at honours level = 80x 5 = 400
    and for arguments sake a B2 at pass level = 40

So 6B2 grades with one at ordinary level would give you 440

Skoool.ie gives a break down of what is on the ordinary level course:

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone.asp?id=2641

No Stair na Gaeilge for starters

Oral is worth 25% (150 marks)
    Aural is 20% (120 marks)

Paper 1 - (220 marks) essays, sceal, letter writing (120) and comprehension (100)
    Paper 2 - (110 marks) Prose and Poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

Well I'm not an irish teacher so i can't comment on that but pointswise

5 B2s at honours level = 80x 5 = 400
    and for arguments sake a B2 at pass level = 40

So 6B2 grades with one at ordinary level would give you 440

Skoool.ie gives a break down of what is on the ordinary level course:

http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone.asp?id=2641

No Stair na Gaeilge for starters

Oral is worth 25% (150 marks)
    Aural is 20% (120 marks)

Paper 1 - (220 marks) essays, sceal, letter writing (120) and comprehension (100)
    Paper 2 - (110 marks) Prose and Poetry

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I find pass Irish really easy, anyway. Paper 1 is made up of two comprehensions (which you can get most of your answers from by quoting the text directly), and two written pieces.

For those, you get a choice, and you must do two out of four options - litir, sceal, aiste and comhrá. And both of those would be about a page max. So yeah, quite easy.

Paper two is alright, you have to answer two questions on prose, and two on the poetry. As far as I know, honours study the 5 poems and 5 short stories that are required for pass, so if you're really don't want to take the risk, I would recommend it as being quite an easy option! I'm sure if you've survived in honours until now, you'll be well able for pass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

meeka wrote: »
    I find pass Irish really easy, anyway. Paper 1 is made up of two comprehensions (which you can get most of your answers from by quoting the text directly), and two written pieces.

For those, you get a choice, and you must do two out of four options - litir, sceal, aiste and comhrá. And both of those would be about a page max. So yeah, quite easy.

Paper two is alright, you have to answer two questions on prose, and two on the poetry. As far as I know, honours study the 5 poems and 5 short stories that are required for pass, so if you're really don't want to take the risk, I would recommend it as being quite an easy option! I'm sure if you've survived in honours until now, you'll be well able for pass :)

Thanks!!What are the questions like in the poetry and prose??Nd What is de tape like??

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

The questions for poetry and prose are very general really ... For the poetry, most of the questions have something to do with the theme of the poem, or the emotions in it, stuff like that. For the prose they often ask you to summarise part of the story, or ask you why you did/didn't like a certain character.

For the aural, you hear the same tape as the honours, you just get different (and much easier) questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

went to pass today myself to maximise my points. good choice i think. your makin the right decision i think... irish is just too hard :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I did the exact same thing that your thinking about a few years ago. I was delighted when I did. I REALLY struggled in honours and got a B1 in pass. Questions that require an essay in honours take only a couple of lines in pass, two comprehensions that the answers can be taken from the comprehension itself and none of that history of the irish language crap:D Cant remember any more details but basically if your struggling in honours it could be an idea. I certainly dont regret it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Pass Irish is my hardest subject, definitely way harder than honours english or honours french.

I was in honours for a while but dropped down and the bloody comprehensions and stories are just as hard.

The cirriculum sucks, the teachers suck, everything about Irish in school sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

K4t wrote: »
    Pass Irish is my hardest subject, definitely way harder than honours english or honours french.

I was in honours for a while but dropped down and the bloody comprehensions and stories are just as hard.

The cirriculum sucks, the teachers suck, everything about Irish in school sucks.

but are you one of those people who complain about it or do you just get on with it and do what you have to do to get a decent grade.

the fact that its compulsory isnt open for debate here so dont bother, just get on with it. if your doing hons french you should be WELL able for it

Fad wrote: »
    but are you one of those people who complain about it or do you just get on with it and do what you have to do to get a decent grade.

the fact that its compulsory isnt open for debate here so dont bother, just get on with it. if your doing hons french you should be WELL able for it
    I am in 5th year and could hold a conversation in french and write a average essay in french (opinion). I can talk about myself, sports, hobbies, etc in french.

I can't in Irish!!!!

In Irish class, we just take down notes for poems and pros we haven't a clue about instead of!!!!

Instead, if we just learned how to speak about ourselves etc. we would be much better off!!!!

• Advertisement

Instead, if we just learned how to speak about ourselves etc. we would be much better off!!!!

you do, or at least you will for your oral,
    but do you TRY at irish?i think if alot if people evev tried at irish they could surprise themselves at how well they could do

you do, or at least you will for your oral,
    but do you TRY at irish?i think if alot if people evev tried at irish they could surprise themselves at how well they could do
    And the oral is worth what, 20%? It should be at least 60% of your overall grade.

What is the point in being able to recite off answers to some unknown Irish pros story and not be able to say half as much about yourself or a sport/hobbies?

I do try at Irish but to no avail. It is a very, very tough subject, even at ordinary level.

I will be just hoping to God to pass it next june!!!!

And the oral is worth what, 20%? It should be at least 60% of your overall grade.

What is the point in being able to recite off answers to some unknown Irish pros story and not be able to say half as much about yourself or a sport/hobbies?

I do try at Irish but to no avail. It is a very, very tough subject, even at ordinary level.

I will be just hoping to God to pass it next june!!!!

theres a change on the way for people in 2nd year now where the oral will be 40% (but yeah it is WAAAAAY too late) but that oral component is the same value as that of french.

theres a lot more to the written paper than pros and poetry anyway about 40/50% of your exam goes for oral and aural (im not too sure for the pass %)
    which are exams at the ability at the language making sure you have some ability.

you could also easily argue that irish is alot easier than french, there 11 (i think) irregular verbs in irish theres countless in french. i have a whole damn book dedicated to them in french but not irish

theres a change on the way for people in 2nd year now where the oral will be 40% (but yeah it is WAAAAAY too late) but that oral component is the same value as that of french.

theres a lot more to the written paper than pros and poetry anyway about 40/50% of your exam goes for oral and aural (im not too sure for the pass %)
    which are exams at the ability at the language making sure you have some ability.

you could also easily argue that irish is alot easier than french, there 11 (i think) irregular verbs in irish theres countless in french. i have a whole damn book dedicated to them in french but not irish
    haha yeah, I've got a little folens red book with all verbs plus a few vocab books of my dads from the 70's :D

I love french as my teacher is brilliant and the course is inspiring and enjoyable!!!!!

That God we never had to do Montparsant or whatever his name was!!!!

haha yeah, I've got a little folens red book with all verbs plus a few vocab books of my dads from the 70's :D

I love french as my teacher is brilliant and the course is inspiring and enjoyable!!!!!

That God we never had to do Montparsant or whatever his name was!!!!

thats the book im refering to,i have to learn most of that!

i dont even want to know what montparsant is :)

but seriously pass irish is infinitly easier than honours french

Advertisement