Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dividing time between games

• 22-04-2008 5:24pm

Okay, maybe it's just 'cos COD4 is taking up a lot of my time atm, but I find it hard to apportion my gaming time between the various games that I play.

Back in the days of the Megadrive and Snes right through to PS1 and 2 I'd always play a game to death before starting to play / buy a new one. Not so nowadays, prolly due to being more flush with the oul cash.

I am currently in the middle of playing COD4, R6v2, Halo 3, Bomberman Live, Viva Pinata + Forza 2 (which are both crap), and on the Wii I'm halfway through Mario Kart, PES 2008, Metroid Prime, Zelda: OOT (gc) and Soul Calibur 2 (also gc). (just realised that's 11 games)

Don't get me wrong, they're all great games except for Forza and Viva, but I end up just going "right, i'll have a quick search & destroy or play til i rank up on COD4" and then end up playing for 4 hours :o

By the time I end up playing them all to completion, It'll be Christmas, and I've only just remembered that GTA4 is out soon and that I was gonna buy SSMB Brawl on the wii next payday.

How do you all manage to split your time between games 'cos i'm just crap at it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant split either.

At the minute im playing Rainbow Six, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Viva Pinata(great btw), Madden 08, COD4, Assassins Creed, Stranglehold, FIFA 07, PES 2008, Fight Night Rd 3 and Mario Wii. And they're all gonna be thrown to the side next Monday/Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Don't know if there's much point to splitting time between games to get the most otu of them.

My way is I have a look at my games and play which ever one I fancy at that time and play til I'm bored of it and then play another. I've probably got 6/7 games in constant rotation.

Don't think it should be a rigid exercise in time management. I'm all for the COD4 and four hours later finding out it's gotten dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Got Condemned, Viking, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect & PGR4 all on the go (finished the last two, but bought the recent DLC and have yet to check it out...)

I don't even want to think about how many I have on the go spread across all of my systems:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

As problems go....this is a good one. Although I have lost sleep over wondering which
    games I would never get to finish (Mass Effect I'm looking at you)

I always used to play games until the single-player campaign was over. Now I have Halo 3 and COD4 and the multiplayer just never ends. One quick session turns into three am and there's work tomorrow. Will I ever find out what happens to Kane in C&C3? Unless he fancies a cage match in COD, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Crap also.

I'm currently in the middle of Lost Odyssey, Rainbow Six 2, Army of Two, Burnout: Paradise City, Sonic 1 (Arcade), Tomb Raider Anniversary, Eternal Sonata (gonna just have to restart this one as it's been so long since I played it), Turok and Condemnded 2. I did manage to finish Viking and Dark Sector recently though, so I can trade those for GTA next week.

Not to mention I've a baby on the way so good luck to every finishing GTA!

That's just the Xbox 360. I also started KotOR and Star Wars: Empire at War on my Mac. Eeeep :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I just play a game to death like I always did on the commodore 64 / megadrive etc.

As soon as I'm bored I'll move onto the next game and play that one to death too (which I'm currently doing to COD4 now until Tuesday when GTA comes out :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

miju wrote: »
    I just play a game to death like I always did on the commodore 64 / megadrive etc.

As soon as I'm bored I'll move onto the next game and play that one to death too (which I'm currently doing to COD4 now until Tuesday when GTA comes out :D )

Same here. I usually just play one game into the ground. I never new some many people were so serious gamers, though! Wish I'd the time/funds to do it!

Also, what's Viking like? Was eyeing it up the other day, but have to save my cash for, like, food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I've got my slow burner games that I can keep coming back to like Forza and Oblivion then maybe 1-2 newer games which I might only keep for a month or so.

Forza is far from crap as well, shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have been torn between The Orange Box, CoD4 and Bully myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

my time is just dedicated to halo 3 at the minute so i can stay on top form competitively and also be able to devote time to studying for my leaving cert also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Playing at the minute:

360:
    Burnout Paradise
    Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Wii:
    Mario Kart Wii
    Super Smash Bros Brawl

DS:
    Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I find this to be really annoying, cos I'd rather finish a game before starting a new one! I'm currently playing Timeshift, which I find is getting a little repetitive but I'd still like to complete it. Then I've yet to touch my copies of Condemned, F.E.A.R, Burnout Paradise, Dark Sector and Lost Odyssey and I'm picking up my copy of GTA IV tomorrow! Theres no way I'll be able to wait to play that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

I've completely given up on playin games till the death. Its not that I dont want to but lets be honest if you have a job or girlfriend or a any one of a list of other things on your plate playin a game fully through just isnt realistic. I have a wii and an 360. I recently went online with the 360 and havent played anything else other than halo 3 since then. I havent even started the campaign yet cause the multiplayer is just hour upon hour upon day upon weeks, years, etc you get the point of fun fun fun.
    I think playin games till the death for some people like me for example who by the way would have loved doing it back in the day sonic etc on the megadrive and if Im even more honest Im lookin back as far as the Amstrad etc.. is over.
    You have to remember back then I didnt have time constraints or the cash to buy game after game. I have about 12 or so games at the mo and can afford thankfully to walk into a shop and buy games as I want them like so many others these days.
    All in all I just play games for the craic, if I finish them great if not I move on and play the next one. Please tell me Im not alone here!
    ps sorry for the long rant. Its something Ive been thinkin bout recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stoofer

I kind of wish more games clocked in at the length of Portal, which was a thoroughly satisfying 3-4 hours without outgrowing its welcome.
    I don't have the time or patience to be plodding through extra levels that feel padded on to a game to try and make it seem better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I stick to one game until it's finished. I don't have the time or concentration to jump from one to the other :p

I'm playing through mass effect atm and will only get GTA after that's finished.

And I should finish that just in time for Gears 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I too struggle to play games all the way through. I dont finish many Single Player Campaign, tho one that sticks out is COD2 on vet.

Currently working my way through Mass Effect, COD4 and Bioshock atm, with a lot on games on the backburner..

I used to play games to death on the Megadrive and PS1 but being able to buy the next new shiny game without really thinking bout it, means I just dont have the attention span to stick with many games. I tend to flit between games when I play and then finish up with some Sensible Soccer or Switchball!

Advertisement