Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More of an angry rant than a complaint

Options
  • 22-04-2008 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Maybe this should go in the bad beat section,

Many moons ago i had illusions of being a pro gambler, I spent many a day in the local bookmakers and made a good bit of money. My career was like that of a firework it shot off in to the air and sparkeled brightly then exploded and fell to the earth a burnt husk of its former self.

I stopped before i got in too deep. Recently i was nominated by friends and family in my house to go in and back all there fancies in the grand national which i did and I managed to back the winner myself for a mere 10 euro win.

When i went back to collect my bet i noticed the odds for the US masters were up so i picked a few fancies and backed them each way. P harrington and one other. My father the same, had the winner of the national and decided to back harrington for a place.

Harrington was tied for 5th. Which meant we won. Or did it. ANd finally to my rant.

Having backed harington at 5e/w @ 20/1 I recieved 12 euros odd back.
    My father backing a 10 place @ 4/1 recieved 16.
    The reason was Harrington was tied with two other players for 5th so our winings got divided by 3.

I understand that the dead heat rule applied and this is the reason. I even understand why the dead heat rule is there, having made up books on certain antepost markets myself.

The money isn't even the point, The winnings would of only got me drunk at best. But i couldn't help the feeling that i got cheated out of my money. I am pretty sure paddypower didn't lose out on the place market overall.

Thats the end of my rant. In sumation i feel that trying to make money from these bookmakers is a fools goal. They have it rapped up.
    Betfair is a different story.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

1. Its €12 your are talking about. Not €12,000. Not €120,000. €12. Couple of Big Mac meals.
    2. Golf win markets are a bloody nightmare to bet on.
    3. Its €12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mad_max_power

I know, I said before the money doesn't matter.

Its the fact that i was done. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Lesson to be learned for next time;

1. Shop around. Bruce Betting were paying e/w on the 1st 7 places. You would have been quids in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

How were you done? The rules are stated pretty clearly and if you don't agree with them you can choose not to bet. As the poster above says, other firms were offerring different e/w markets and you could have had a bet on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

IIts the fact that i was done. Simple as.

No you weren't. Simple as.

If you say you understand the dead heat situation and why it's there then why the rant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

You had illusions of becoming a pro gambler but don't understand dead heat rules, probably best you never took these illusions seriously. You weren't done, you got exactly what you should of got back.

Advertisement