Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

• 22-04-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Alcohol included.

Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

Some people like one or two drinks but would stop short of getting drunk. Which I think is ludicrous if your taking a drug the main reason is to experience the altered state IMO.

I look at drug use as an experience, it's not wrong to enjoy that experience.

Is drug use wrong? 138 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 138 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Of course not, it's feckin brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't drink much these days, rarely ever get drunk. Much, much prefer to get stoned and would take weed over alcohol any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Is it wrong to have an "is it wrong to take drugs" thread in AH.

Someone bound to post an "Is it wrong to smoke weed" thread shortly then it'll loop back tooooo.... knackers possibly then back onto eastern europeans and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Medicinal drugs? - No

Alcohol? - No

Illegal drugs? - No

I hope those voting yes don't touch alcohol.

Or smoke cigarettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

ScumLord wrote: »

Some people like one or two drinks but would stop short of getting drunk. Which I think is ludicrous if your taking a drug the main reason is to experience the altered state IMO.

Well, that's usually just a social thing. I only drink if in company. Like, why would I want to become drunk? It's never done anything for me-like, I retreat into a shell, and slow down mentally when drunk...Hardly an altered state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

Why?

-Funk

Well, that's usually just a social thing. I only drink if in company. Like, why would I want to become drunk? It's never done anything for me-like, I retreat into a shell, and slow down mentally when drunk...Hardly an altered state.
    You're one of few there, most people in this country seem to drink purely to get drunk.

And a lot of them shouldn't be doing it as being drunk doesn't suit them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, it's not wrong to use drugs. People can make their own choices and their own choices are their own business thank you very much.
    It's wrong to use drugs if their effect causes suffering for others (e.g. if alcohol makes you violent) or if you're really over-doing it and becoming unwell and your loved ones are starting to worry about you and you won't get help.
    But if your intake is moderate and you can handle it, then it's nobody else's business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

imo it's wrong *not* to use drugs

acid should be mandatory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Mordeth for taoiseach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

rb_ie wrote: »
    You're one of few there, most people in this country seem to drink purely to get drunk.

And a lot of them shouldn't be doing it as being drunk doesn't suit them.

Well, again, it's a social thing. Like, most people probably aren't going to get preposterously drunk alone in their own home, yet they will when with friends. It's often the case of monkey see, monkey do, and if two people of a group are going out so as to get wasted, then the rest of the group are likely to follow.

Again, I think you could say that about many drugs. I used to live with a bunch that smoked weed regularly, yet they hardly ever did it in the amounts they would do when alone. Nearly always smoked when with others. If it was just me with one of the, they'd only have one. (Ha, unless I was the buzz killer:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I cant wait for the "Drug users should all go and die and stop wasting our oxygen!!" shower to take over on this thread. They're more than happy read books by drug addicts and look at masterpieces created by them. But let them straddle their high horse and look down on the drug hungry plebs and their opinions change. The main argument i have with the anti-drug nazi movement is the fact that they don't agree with the live and let live attitude. I respect your choice not to partake, now respect my choice to do what i like. I think if you're not harming anyone by your actions then be left to your own devices.

And i swear to god if i hear anymore people prattle on about how if you use drugs you're funding organized crime. The same could be said for paying your taxes, the bloody government had a major share holding in a cluster bomb factory. You give money in at mass, sure the vatican is involved in retaining stolen roma gold during the second world war, and refusing to return it. And if you buy a can of coke, your oppressing a villager in Columbia and so on. You cant buy many things in this world without some percentage of the profits either being directly or indirectly used to harm ,oppress ,demean or impair someones life or existence.

The only difference is we know about the organized crime that drugs are paired with here because its splashed all over the herald am every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dudess wrote: »
    No, it's not wrong to use drugs. People can make their own choices and their own choices are their own business thank you very much.
    It's wrong to use drugs if their effect causes suffering for others (e.g. if alcohol makes you violent) or if you're really over-doing it and becoming unwell and your loved ones are starting to worry about you and you won't get help.
    But if your intake is moderate and you can handle it, then it's nobody else's business.

Really, must remember that next time there's someone shot dead by the gangs in Limerick or Dublin. Whether you like it or not, these guys are getting shot for the money to be made from middle-class drug users.

Course if you grow your own, or have a better way of getting drugs than involving illegal suppliers, go for it.

funk-you wrote: »
    Why?

-Funk
    Why not?

-Not funky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Dudess wrote: »

Couldn't agree more here, that's always been my view too. It's the people who go overboard that shouldn't use drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Why not?

-Not funky
    Cause its enjoyable for some poeple. Your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

In my opinion it is very wrong to use drugs when you have responsibilities and the use of any sort of drugs may affect your ability to carry out these responsibilities.

If you have kids that need looking after, if you drive a car or fly a plane, then it is wrong to use drugs. On the other hand, if you are an old man in a hut beside the Mekong river and you are partial to a bit of opium, I don't believe there is anything at all wrong with that.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Cause its enjoyable for some poeple. Your turn.
    People die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

ScumLord wrote: »
    Alcohol included.

Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

I look at drug use as an experience, it's not wrong to enjoy that experience.

I do always feel ashamed after doing drugs.

Like I get guilt if I hear from my parents or something.

I slept all through my birthday last year and felt a great sense of guilt when I woke and got texts from my ma da and sisters.

maybe just the way I was brought up.

Is that the right way to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could draw the line at drugs sure. But then you have to explore the philosophy issue of it.

For example youre talking about getting enjoyment out of a substance.

Youd pretty much have to narrow it down from drugs, alcohol, spicy foods (which are in fact toxic), and beyond.

ScumLord even taking one or two beers can do a lot for you without being "drunk". Ever come home from a days work, open up a can of beer, have a nice sit down and just feel awesome? It only takes one. The same way if I want to experience the rush of spicey food sure, I could eat a jalepino. If I wanted a serious, head tripping near fatal rush I could eat 50 and run the risk of death via suffocation, or I can still find satisfaction in one. Same thing applies to cannabis: you dont need to be stoned or buzzed for it to effect you. I smoked very small amounts on a daily basis for several weeks in lieu of using AD's, to the same effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

i dont see how its wrong to do drugs, i dont do them but a good few of my freinds do and i would never stop and say "jesus lads would ya stop smokin weed" or try and wreck their buzz. its an individuals choice.

Alcohol may technically be a drug, but when im on a night or just havin 6 cans i would never think im doing drugs and i know almost all of my friends would agree with me on that. guess every has a different opinion on the issue thiugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

People die.

People die from all sorts of things, Are cars wrong?
    Why not?

-Not funky

Best comeback EVAR!

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

People die.
    Yet you aren't against alcohol or cigarettes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

they do you more damage emotionally n physically than any good.
    figure out for yourself. only u can decide if its rrght or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

briantwin wrote: »
    I cant wait for the "Drug users should all go and die and stop wasting our oxygen!!" shower to take over on this thread.
    Oh they're coming. I can see them up ahead... slowly coming into full view... on those galloping (high) horses of theirs.
    They're more than happy read books by drug addicts and look at masterpieces created by them. But let them straddle their high horse and look down on the drug hungry plebs and their opinions change. The main argument i have with the anti-drug nazi movement is the fact that they don't agree with the live and let live attitude. I respect your choice not to partake, now respect my choice to do what i like. I think if you're not harming anyone by your actions then be left to your own devices.
    Yep. I also hate people who become **** on drugs and look down on people who don't take them.
    Really, must remember that next time there's someone shot dead by the gangs in Limerick or Dublin. Whether you like it or not, these guys are getting shot for the money to be made from middle-class drug users.
    What the guy below said:
    And i swear to god if i hear anymore people prattle on about how if you use drugs you're funding organized crime. The same could be said for paying your taxes, the bloody government had a major share holding in a cluster bomb factory. You give money in at mass, sure the vatican is involved in retaining stolen roma gold during the second world war, and refusing to return it. And if you buy a can of coke, your oppressing a villager in Columbia and so on. You cant buy many things in this world without some percentage of the profits either being directly or indirectly used to harm ,oppress ,demean or impair someones life or existence.
    Even look at the clothes we wear - it's not always easy to be ethical when it comes to purchasing even basic essentials.
    The only difference is we know about the organized crime that drugs are paired with here because its splashed all over the herald am every day.
    Yep. Kids working in Nepalese sweat-shops don't make page one of the red tops, the Mail and the Heddald and thus there's no moral outrage like there is over "da druggies".
    Wait for it now though... "But buying clothes isn't illegal!" Always trotted out. Except it's the moral implications not the legal ones that are the issue here.
    pontovic wrote: »
    In my opinion it is very wrong to use drugs when you have responsibilities and the use of any sort of drugs may affect your ability to carry out these responsibilities.

If you have kids that need looking after, if you drive a car or fly a plane, then it is wrong to use drugs.
    Of course. But I'm assuming the OP's question is "is it wrong to use drugs full stop?" And no, it is not wrong to use drugs full stop. It is wrong to use drugs under certain circumstances though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

Oh but.. bla bla.. when you take illegal drugs you are responsible for all the gangland shootings.. bla bla de do da day..

• Advertisement

funk-you wrote: »
    People die from all sorts of things, Are cars wrong?

Best comeback EVAR!

-Funk
    Cars are legal.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Yet you aren't against alcohol or cigarettes?
    Legal, legal.

Advertisement