Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

its wrong to take illegal drugs to a certain extent.
    each to their own really, but once you start effecting other peoples lives then it becomes very wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

[QUOTE=meditraitor[/QUOTE]
    It will never be legal to smoke dope, take pills, snort coke or do gear because Ireland is bad enough as it is with alcohol being legal without letting a whole new sort of problem flower by legalising other harmful substances
    [/QUOTE]

[sarcasm]
    i see your point. drugs are illegal, therefore no one in ireland does them. if they were legal, suddenly everyone and their granny would start doing them.

keep them illegal!!!! we don't want a drug problem to start!!!
    [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

You used a whol load of words to say a whole load of nothing there.

Why not actually make some kind of informed, cogent statement instead of just getting ratty about threads you ahve a problem with, or the people who post in them.

here's a handy rule for you;

Nothing to contribute, then don't bother posting.

You really should do some research before you post (ive come across you before and the sig in some ways is fairly representative, maybe change badger to didntbothercheckingpreviouscontributiontosaidsubjectandeven whenidoiwontagreebecauseimaLADY ).
    Anyway, enjoy your weekend. Im of home to see the misses and do some gardening. ;-))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Meh! wrote: »
    Yes I do actually know someone who died from LSD but thanks for assuming I'm lying just because you don't agree with my opinions.

...and I know of someone who ended up in a padded cell and then in psyche counselling because he did too many trips and never came back down properly. I'm not for one minute saying you're lying although I do disagree with your opinion....and that's what it is; an opinion....your take on it. To say that others commenting from their own perspective "don't know what they're talking about" is not condusive to proper debate....it just makes you look small minded.

As for alcohol etc, it's been done to death on these forums, so I'm not going to re-hash tired old arguments about it being a drug and it being society's number one reason for a whole host of crime, violence, family breakdown and death....but that still doesn't make it "wrong" to use it....the same way as someone who chooses to take whatever illegal drug isn't "wrong" to do so....even if they are breaking the law....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It will never be legal to smoke dope, take pills, snort coke or do gear because Ireland is bad enough as it is with alcohol being legal without letting a whole new sort of problem flower by legalising other harmful substances

[sarcasm]
    i see your point. drugs are illegal, therefore no one in ireland does them. if they were legal, suddenly everyone and their granny would start doing them.

keep them illegal!!!! we don't want a drug problem to start!!!
    [/sarcasm][/QUOTE]

That wasnt my point, my point is simple. Illegal drugs like dope/coke/gear can cause every bit as much damage to a society (person) as drink and being illegal they are not readily available and therefore the damage is not as widespread as alcohol. The powers that be are not willing to allow even 1 extra person get ****ed on these drugs just so you can smoke your weed/snort your coke or inject your gear in public. Civil liberties is about a communities responsability to everyone not your own naive opinion of what you should be allowed do and what you shouldnt (within the law) be allowed do beacuse yor an adult and drug ar OKAY in your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

being illegal they are not readily available and therefore the damage is not as widespread as alcohol.

i can guarantee you that i could have enough coke in front of me to kill an elephant in an hour if i wanted to. and it's even easier for kids to get drugs than alcohol because, not only do dealers not ask for id, they encourage kids to do them
    The powers that be are not willing to allow even 1 extra person get ****ed on these drugs just so you can smoke your weed/snort your coke or inject your gear
    i don't do drugs

in public

i never said anything about in public. that affects others. i don't support people drinking alcohol on the streets either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

You really should do some research before you post (ive come across you before and the sig in some ways is fairly representative, maybe change badger to didntbothercheckingpreviouscontributiontosaidsubjectandeven whenidoiwontagreebecauseimaLADY ).

My signature probably appears representative, because it is in fact representative. Hence it's MY signature, and not someone elses.

I've done plenty of research into this, and what I've posted up to now if FACT whereas what you've psoted in this thread is your own idle, empty rhetoric and speculation.

Checkmate mister platypus :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I realise Dudess already responded to these points with her usual flare
    Orly? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

board om wrote: »

that was in bray or shankhill alright. there were a load of dodgy E's going around Dublin that were making people trip out really badly. there was some young lad at a house party and he thought there was rats in his head or something like that and he took a pliers to himself. apparrently he did pull one of his eyes out and did some nasty damage to himself. I didnt know about the 7 guards having to restrain him but it wouldnt surprise me. there was a bit of coverage of it in the media at the time but i am surprised there wasnt a lot more. scary stuff.

I was going to post that story last night in relation to this topic. It actually happened in Greystones and its true that it was because of dodgy E's. As far as I know the police arrived after the the guy had been taken by ambulance to the hospital. The guy who's house this happened in is a metal worker and his tools were upstairs in his bedroom so thats where the pliers came in. Funny thing is there were only about 4 or 5 other people in the house when it happened but they were so wasted they didn't realise the guy had disappeared for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I remember that alright, terrible thing to happen to the poor fella. I do seem to remember that at the time he took the pills he thought they were just "regular" e, he wasn't aware that they contained lsd(?), and so when he started hallucinating heavily and everything else that goes along with taking lsd it must have been very disconcerting to say the least. I don't want to start going back over the same things I said over and over again but would this have happened if ecstacy was legal? No it would not have, because if ecstacy (mdma) was legal he would have known exactly what he was taking, mdma, and there would not have been any lsd in it, so he wouldn't have been caught out by it, he would not have freaked out in the way he did, and he would still have the use of both his eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

quote slipps ''I don't want to start going back over the same things I said over and over again but would this have happened if ecstacy was legal? No it would not have, because if ecstacy (mdma) was legal he would have known exactly what he was taking, mdma, and there would not have been any lsd in it, so he wouldn't have been caught out by it, he would not have freaked out in the way he did, and he would still have the use of both his eyes.''

Yeah I what you are saying however I'm not sure if it'd make any difference to this type of situation. I think though that the phrase 'experiment with drugs' is pretty bang on - lot of ppl (I'm not saying everyone) who use drugs do just that. Even if ecstacy was legal people would probably still use it with other stuff to mix things up a bit. By their nature these people are looking for something different - I don't think legalising any drug would change that.

Dudess wrote: »
    Orly? :o

Dam right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah I what you are saying however I'm not sure if it'd make any difference to this type of situation. I think though that the phrase 'experiment with drugs' is pretty bang on - lot of ppl (I'm not saying everyone) who use drugs do just that. Even if ecstacy was legal people would probably still use it with other stuff to mix things up a bit. By their nature these people are looking for something different - I don't think legalising any drug would change that.

Ahhh but thats the thing isn't it, they would be able to chose wether or not to mix it with other drugs and what drugs to mix it with, not just hope that the pill they are taking contains what they hope it contains. I'm also of the opinion that had this bloke known that he was going to be consuming ecstacy mixed with lsd(?) it would not have had anywhere near the potential to cause him the distress it did, as he would have been expecting it and people would have known he may possibly have freaky thoughts and they would have kept a closer eye on him.

A friend of mine, we'll call him Sspils, took what he believed to be ecstacy once, turns out it was a drug called 2c-t-7, which is similar to ecstacy but also causes pretty prominent hallucinations (peoples faces appearing to twist and expand and contract rapidly, a persons pet dogs head morphing into a snakes head and hissing at him, a woman screaming into his face everythime he closed his eyes ect), this was pretty fukking terrifying untill he he got a hold of himself, luckily he had used psychedelic drugs before and was somewhat used to that kind of thing, but he can only imagine the kind of train wreck that might have caused to someone else that wasn't prepared for it. Thats not to mention that this drug would probably have been fatal if he had taken the four pills he purchased [as he would have done with ecstacy normally] rather than just taking one. However about 18 months later he got a hold of 2c-t-7 again, knowing what it was, and took it. The effects were all basically the same but because he knew what he was taking and what to expect it was a much saner and more fun time, the hallucinations were a lot more pleasant for instance (naked girls dancing around a fire when he closed his eyes and again peoples faces contorting but that was very very funny rather than frightening this time because he was fully aware of why it was happening) because he knew they were coming and why, and was much more relaxed when they began.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

Sorry, I don't touch any drugs anymore but when I was younger I experimented and some positive experiences as well as negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Drugs are bad, i mean no one does stupid stuff when they consume alcohol(imaginary roll eyes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Drugs like Coke, Heroin, Marijuana, etc. will never be legalised.

There are many reasons why this is the case, but the most obvious is the people who become law makers are not going to risk destroying themselves by suggesting such a law change.

Your body doesn't want you to use drugs. Your government doesn't want you to use illegal drugs. Is it wrong to use drugs? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Harmful would be a more suitable word than "wrong". Wrong is determined by the perspective of who says it's wrong.

I would consider someone who shot up heroin and attack someone under it's influence to be wrong. Otherwise, it's just a poor choice in life and harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I agree with everybody. You're all right about everything.

Now can we please talk about something else? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

You don't have to post in/read this thread...

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You don't have to post in/read this thread...
    But you don't understand.

I have to post in this thread! You're forcing me to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think Bill Hicks got it right when he said:

"Not only do I think Marijuana should be legalized, it should be mandatory"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Marijuana should be legalized.

a) because its a pointless ban, marijuana is only as dangerous as alchohol or tabacco, and only if its abused, so why the double standard?

b) it will take power away from criminals, allow the government to regulate its sale and who sells it and they can put an age limit on it. Not to mention they can tax it :/

If weed was sold in say Starbucks then you remove people from the drug community, reducing the risk of being offered or seeking out harder drugs at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

What if 2 of the illegal drugs are less harmful than alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

well said robby.

If you go into ANY town in Ireland tonight and see people fighting are they:

A: Under the influence of Alcohol

0r

B. Under the influence of Marijuana

'nuff said I think

well said robby.

If you go into ANY town in Ireland tonight and see people fighting are they:

A: Under the influence of Alcohol

0r

B. Under the influence of Marijuana

'nuff said I think
    No, you didn't answer the question!

dublindude wrote: »
    Drugs like Coke, Heroin, Marijuana, etc. will never be legalised.

Because why?
    There are many reasons why this is the case, but the most obvious is the people who become law makers are not going to risk destroying themselves by suggesting such a law change.

That's fairly presumptious reasoning, not saying you're wrong but consider this. there's a massive lobbying effort to get people to stop smoking. Cigarettes are a HUGE source of reventue for the government in terms of taxation. So if cigarettes were banned in years to come, the government would need a new source to replace that revenue. In step presently illegal substances, there's a massive market already in existence, erego huge taxation revenues to be had, and a chance to control who has access, and the quality of the product erego reducing deaths, and addiction.

It's a plausible scenario.
    Your body doesn't want you to use drugs.

What're you basing this on? If I have a coffe in the morning the caffeine wakes me up, it sharpens my senses. This is a drug. If I eat an apple it increases my energy levels because of the carbohydrate, this has several knock-on effects, the most obvious being increased general alertness once the apple has been assimilated because I have more energy and so my body doesn't need to conserve resources by making me drowsy and so on. If I eat protein the nitrogenous content tells my body all is well, resources are plentiful, let's the growing begin.

If I smoke a marijuana joint, it stimulates cannabinoid receptors in my brain, amongst the effects are relaxation, enhanced sensory perception, and the ability to get a really good nights sleep.

My point is that your perception of the nature of "drugs" is skewed. Every thing you ingest has extra-curricular effects on your body. Granted some of those effects are arguably more desired than others. But the point is that for the most part your body will respond to whatever substance you expose it to, the long-term positive/negative the effects depend on how responsible you are in your use of that substance.

If I eat too much red meat it increases my risk of developing bowel cancer. If I don't eat enough carrots or vegetables on similar vitamin/mineral composition it will have numerous negative effects on my body. It's all about balance, and saying "your body doesn't want you to do drugs" just shows an lack of understanding of what's actually going on.
    Your government doesn't want you to use illegal drugs.

There's a few points to be made here.

1) This isn't MY government. I didn't vote for them, I never wanted them to serve this term in office.

2) The people that make up the government are not demi-gods. they don't have some comprehensive and intuitive knowledge of the inner workings of the universe. Erego it's entirely possible they get it wrong some of the time, or in the case of this government MOST of the time.

3) In all this postering, I've yet to hear a single argument as to why alcohol/tobacco are legal whereas many other substances are not. the idea that a minority of people suffer adverse effects is not a strong argument. In many cases where this supposedly occurs, it's actually the manner in which the substance is consumed that is the problem. Deaths due to ecstasy are in part due to people not hydrating peoperly while consuming the substance. The recent deaths in Dublin, and Waterford due to cocaine use were apparently caused by the fact that the people using the cocaine were using WET cocaine which radically alters the way cocaine acts on your body.

So it could be argued that by keeping certain substances illegal, the government is actually facilitating more addiction, and deaths due to these substances arising from problems with the composition of different batches, and also because a great many people obtain their "information" from their "Mates" who are not fully informed as to the dangers, and proper usage, for example, if I've never used coke, so if someone handed my a wet batch if not for the recent deaths I would have no idea there was any additional risk to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beaner

ScumLord wrote: »
    Alcohol included.

Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

Of course its not wrong to take drugs if u enjoy them. drugs are THE BEST!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,833 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

beaner wrote: »
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Alcohol included.

Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

Of course its not wrong to take drugs if u enjoy them. drugs are THE BEST!!!:D
    you know for a new user your quite adept at using SEARCH to reanimate zombie threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

Only if you consider yourself part of the backward society when using them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I said yes even though I do drink. I don't drink often though, it's been over a month since I last drank.

I just think the concept of having to take something to change who you are and how you act is a bit weird.

Advertisement