Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How does "a bit weird" make something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Dudess wrote: »
    How does "a bit weird" make something wrong?
    I think it's wrong to take something so you can be someone that you're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

you should see some girls going out without their makeup on.

completely different girls.

Yup I know

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

for me i think its ok to take drugs that i wouldnt get hooked on so i could have them every now and then, im only talking about alcohol and weed for me, but i would NEVER touch harder drugs like cocaine, ex, etc for fear i'd get hooked and ruin my life! i gave up smoking as well because i was hooked and was ruining my health!

it all depends on what drugs your talking about!

You can take cocaine, MDMA, speed responsibly too. It depends more on the person than the drug.
    Mark200 wrote: »
    Why? All you're doing is exploring a different consciousness, a different perspective. What's wrong with finding that interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

doesnt necessarily change your personality, just a mood. in the same way sugary/caffeiney things can pick you up a bit, so can alcohol, and weed can help you calm down a bit, chill out a bit.

some people, yeah, it can make paranoid. and booze can make some people really angry. caffeine can make some people very jittery.

the arguements have been done again and again and again. it is no more of a dodgy drug than alcohol.

i'd like to see it legalised, and regulated, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Nah, I agree with certain drugs like weed and magic mushrooms, I hate heroin
    If it's natural then it's all good baby

Heroin's natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Why should we be slaves to one state of mind 100% of the time?

And, as Crumble Foo said, drugs don't change who you are, they just influence your mood/state of mind. The human condition is fundamentally about experiencing different moods and feelings, different highs and lows. And the nature of moods, personality and "who you are" is such a hugely complex question that I don't think you can just come out and say that drugs change "who you are" and therefore are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's wrong not to use drugs...no-one should take the whole complete journey through life without having, at least once, experienced things from a slightly altered mental standpoint...variety is the spice of life.
    Froma purely biblical view it breaks a few of the ten commandments, so could perhaps be seen as being morally wrong...obviously it's legally wrong...but wrong in the common or garden sense of the word? No...some people's actions while under their influence or in the sarch to procure the drugs thmeselves may do wrong or very wrong things....but this does still not imply that the act of taking the drugs themselves is wrong IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why should we be slaves to one state of mind 100% of the time?

And, as Crumble Foo said, drugs don't change who you are, they just influence your mood/state of mind. The human condition is fundamentally about experiencing different moods and feelings, different highs and lows. And the nature of moods, personality and "who you are" is such a hugely complex question that I don't think you can just come out and say that drugs change "who you are" and therefore are wrong.

+ 1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its not wrong, its just retarded.

Depends. I know a guy who took 30 Es one weekend - that's retarded.

Most people I know who use drugs take an E or two the odd Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I have friends who went batsh*t on pills and I still can't understand their motivation. Pills for me always seemed so ... I don't know the word for it but the day after taking pills, the last thing you want is any more. Kind of like sex, the few minutes after you come you just don't want it. A good friend of mine went well off the rails about 2 years ago. He'd use his position to get downers (Roach and the like) so he'd go f*cking mental over the weekend and then when the comedown came he'd take rohypnol or something similar in order to not experience it.
    Thank Christ he's on the mend now after falling off a 2 floor balcony. The fact is that he's an immensely likable character and he became something he wasn't. The problems were obviously stemming from depression, something that has to be cured and which drugs are only something to aid the lows.

A friend of mine died after taking pure MDMA in a quite well known circumstance. Man was that a shocker. Until then I'd thought that pure MDMA was god's gift. A heart defect. 1 in 50,000 chance I think it was. Kind of shook up the group a little, those who were anti drugs were more vehemently so, those who weren't were sad to lose a friend but wouldn't let that stop us. After all, if someone dies from a nut allergy, that's not gonna stop me eating nuts.

Now the lads who were well into my mainstay, weed. These guys smoked every night, a lot. The only way to fund that kind of habit is to sell. This is when smoking is wrong. Both developed psychoses/schizophrenia, one attempted suicide. Does this affect my view on weed? Yes, it makes me more wary of it. Will it stop me? F*ck no.

If you need a drug to perform a service for you. If you need it as an escape, you're in trouble. It'll entertain you for a while but all this while your problem will stagnate. If someone drinks 10 cups of coffee a day, that person isn't well. If you need a drink every night then something is wrong. If you've been on anti depressants for 2 years and nothing has changed, are you satisfied with that?

Drugs aren't for everybody but as for looking down on those who take them? Shove it up your arse. Education is key here, I had a pretty good education on drugs but it focused mainly on downsides. Drugs need to be understood and I've built up a decent understanding of them over the years. Of course I wouldn't know much about the heavier side of things because if I ever was in the position I'd distance myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Kold wrote: »
    Shove it up your arse.

I might as well, for all the good it's done me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

When you take drugs you're cheating nature. Then again nature is a cruel bitch so why not cheat from time to time if it increases your quality of life (helping you unwind at the weekend/ gain insight into your problems/ work harder when it's really needed).

Cheating nature is risky though, if you're not careful you could easily become natures slave again, this time with the stakes way higher and the buzzes you chase being stronger and stronger.

There's some simple ways to avoid addiction though.

1. never do drugs alone (always do them socially).

2. never inhale or inject a reward system drug (stimulants and opiates, and yes, nicotine is a mild stimulant that's why smoking cigarettes is so addictive).

3. Set yourself a clear limit on how often you will use a drug.

4. Always aim to be sober the vast majority of the time.

that's my 2 cents :).

It's not "cheating", drugs are a part of nature, a part of life.

It's not "cheating", drugs are a part of nature, a part of life.

I dissagree,

drugs help you free yourself from natures cruel grip.

You're just talking bullshít rhetoric now. Drugs aren't supernatural and nature doesn't have a cruel grip over us anyway. There's no reason for anything, drugs just happen to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    A friend of mine died after taking pure MDMA in a quite well known circumstance. Man was that a shocker. Until then I'd thought that pure MDMA was god's gift. A heart defect. 1 in 50,000 chance I think it was. Kind of shook up the group a little, those who were anti drugs were more vehemently so, those who weren't were sad to lose a friend but wouldn't let that stop us. After all, if someone dies from a nut allergy, that's not gonna stop me eating nuts.
    The sad thing is, your late friend's death would be used by the anti drugs lobby as an example of "what drugs can do" when it's more complex than that.
    Ditto your friend who went off the rails and fell off the balcony - he had depression anyway, which the drugs only helped worsen the effects of.
    Now the lads who were well into my mainstay, weed. These guys smoked every night, a lot. The only way to fund that kind of habit is to sell. This is when smoking is wrong. Both developed psychoses/schizophrenia, one attempted suicide. Does this affect my view on weed? Yes, it makes me more wary of it. Will it stop me? F*ck no.
    Yep, because you seem to know your limits. Those other guys don't, because that's the kind of person they are, not because of the drugs.

drugs are a part of nature
    I don't really get that - not all drugs are natural. Or is there something I'm missing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I haven't read a single word of this thread, and i'm not really gonna.

I was about to vote 'no', but really, any drug taken illegally, even one as harmless as cannabis, funds organised crime. For that reason alone it is wrong to use drugs.

i wasn't saying anything supernatural, we're a product of evolution an unconcious random proccess. we're desinged for reproduction, not for happiness. i don't really care about this argument, it's pretty silly given the bigger picture.

he meant that drug taking in itself is natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I feel so ashamed.

So, so, so ashamed...

:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's little enough point arguing with the status quo.
    Holier-than-thoahol is the strongest drug that there is and that one is and always will be legal.
    Anthropologically speaking drug use is as natural as ****ing, farting, art and language.
    And as for drugs making you act "weird", having a hard on in a supermarket is a lot weirder than standing there stoned giggling at the jammy dodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It is not wrong, per se, to take drugs, but is wrong to let them take you, and this is why there's such anti-drug feeling; people cannot control themselves, so we have to cotrol the drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Holier-than-thoahol is the strongest drug that there is

Dr. Bollocko, MDMA
    MDMA, Dr. Bollocko

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't really get that - not all drugs are natural. Or is there something I'm missing?
    Well "nature" means different things in different contexts, by that I meant that drugs exist in nature, artificially made or not, i.e. they're not supernatural. Vinylmesh said that taking drugs was cheating nature, I don't think you can cheat nature by consuming something that exists in nature. Perhaps you could argue that you're exploiting nature or something, but not cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH Now I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but I'm slowly coming around to the conclusion that some should take more and some should take less. How to figure that out is the trick.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement