Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

vinylmesh wrote: »
    we're a product of evolution an unconcious random proccess.
    we're desinged for reproduction
    Contradiction.

We aren't designed.

We have no purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

any drug taken illegally, even one as harmless as cannabis, funds organised crime. For that reason alone it is wrong to use drugs.
    Plenty of legal products fund organised crime and unethical, exploitative businesses (tobacco, alcohol, Coca Cola, numerous clothing/sportswear companies, coffee, chocolate). And "but they're legal" isn't a counter-argument. They're still ruining lives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Neesa wrote: »
    Dr. Bollocko, MDMA
    MDMA, Dr. Bollocko
    Are you trying to introduce me to hard substances personally?
    I knew boards was a gateway drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dudess wrote: »
    Plenty of legal products fund organised crime and unethical, exploitative businesses (tobacco, alcohol, Coca Cola, numerous clothing/sportswear companies, coffee, chocolate). And "but they're legal" isn't a counter-argument. They're still ruining lives.
    Oh well in that case let me just light up a doobie!

Oh well in that case let me just light up a doobie!

Doobie or not doobie.
    That is the question!

• Advertisement

Would it be appropriate to start a Doobie Brothers thread in the Classic Rock forum if/when it comes to fruition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Fine;

over the years evolution has unconciously shaped us for reproduction, not for happiness.

By taking drugs we gain control over our happiness which is good. However, if you are not careful you could lose this control over your happiness, and you'll be left the same as before, except you'll now be chasing after a way stronger high.

now ya happy?

*mutters "pedant" under his breath*

Would it be appropriate to start a Doobie Brothers thread in the Classic Rock forum if/when it comes to fruition?

Rock on doobie sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think it's wrong to take something so you can be someone that you're not.

Like acting classes?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Drug taking is as old (probably older) than civilisation. Every continent is home to an hallucinogenic plant of some sort, and as puritanism wasn't invented until the 1600's, local populations wouldn't have had much of a reason to abstain.

There is compelling evidence to suggest that the development of art was born out of the visions of those early shamans, the first instances of abstract art were human-animal hybrids, so nothing that could have been transcribed from reality.

How is the term 'drug' strictly defined anyway? A quick web search couldn't come close to a definitive answer. IMO people can missuse food, sex or sheep, but it would be ludricrous to suggest their moderate use was in anyway immoral. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mark200 wrote: »
    I think it's wrong to take something so you can be someone that you're not.
    For me taking drugs is the same as jumping out of an aeroplane (with a parachute obviously) or any other experience. That's what it is to me an experience. It's not about being anyone else it's about living my life and experiencing everything life has to offer while I can.
    Kold wrote: »
    I have friends who went batsh*t on pills
    Same as, the lad was loopy to begin with and shouldn't have been at pills or any drugs (he didn't need them in fairness) but I do believe if drugs where out in the open like alcohol is it would be easier to spot these problems and deal with them. While drugs have the added stigma of being illegal people won't get the help they need until maybe it's too late.
    When you take drugs you're cheating nature.
    This is a bizare statement to make. I am nature, drugs are nature. Even elephants go out and get drunk (naturally they don't ferment their own fruit or anything, there's a tree in Africa that has a fermenting fruit on it). It's completely natural to want to have fun. Drugs are fun.
    I was about to vote 'no', but really, any drug taken illegally, even one as harmless as cannabis, funds organised crime. For that reason alone it is wrong to use drugs.
    I was about to get on my high horse till I saw it was you. You trolling bastard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

To experience the altered state is not wrong in itself. Fueling drug wars by buying drugs is wrong. Being an addict who is a burden on people is wrong.

Taking drugs isn't wrong. It's just illegal. Like drunk driving.

Drunk driving is totally wrong. It's utterly reprehensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Drug use is not wrong.

I think everyone has their own experiences with them. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. It's ok for some people, not for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sure is fun though.

To experience the altered state is not wrong in itself. Fueling drug wars by buying drugs is wrong.
    The fact is people will buy drugs regardless. That's a fact, it's proven. The law creates the problem and is obliviously more of a problem than the people using drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cúnt_fúcker

ScumLord wrote: »
    The fact is people will buy drugs regardless. That's a fact, it's proven. The law creates the problem and is obliviously more of a problem than the people using drugs.

wtf?

wtf?
    Where drugs as big of a problem before prohibition? There was no international billion dollar drugs industry before prohibition. That's a fact. In the last ten years things have gotten so much worse. It's a sticking point because the UN declared we'd be drugs free by now 10 years ago.

All I'm saying is fuelling drug wars is wrong. I'm not saying every drug user is fuelling these wars. I'm not saying drugs should remain illegal (thats another argument).

• Advertisement

That's actually a quote from a TV show called Peep Show. I know it's wrong.

Now I am not one for fuelling the anti-drug argument in any way by speaking plainly about the benefits of recreational drug use, but I have to say your avatar is the prettiest shiniest thing I have ever seen. It squeaks when I touch it.

Sorry. I love Peep Show - obviously not acquainted with it enough though. :)

All I'm saying is fuelling drug wars is wrong. I'm not saying every drug user is fuelling these wars. I'm not saying drugs should remain illegal (thats another argument).
    Buying products made by children is wrong but people still do it. You can't expect the end user to do the morally right thing. They want the product and that's the end if the story. The government needs to work around these facts.

Just to make it known, i don't care who takes what. I only vote yes in this particular poll because of the legalities and what it funds. But to say that the law creates the problem is ridiculous. Laws, whether you agree with them or not, are there. They are not made to be broken and it's the people who do so that create the problem.

Just to make it known, i don't care who takes what. I only vote yes in this particular poll because of the legalities and what it funds. But to say that the law creates the problem is ridiculous. Laws, whether you agree with them or not, are there. They are not made to be broken and it's the people who do so that create the problem.

Laws are all too often an issue of social convenience and moral relativism. They evolve to deal with reality based on breaches and challenges. This continual evolution indicates that laws are made to be broken based entirely on the fact that you don't agree with them. Hence Barak Obama isn't forced to ride in the "Coloured section" of the bus.

Laws are all too often an issue of social convenience and moral relativism. They evolve to deal with reality based on breaches and challenges. This continual evolution indicates that laws are made to be broken based entirely on the fact that you don't agree with them. Hence Barak Obama isn't forced to ride in the "Coloured section" of the bus.
    There's no denying that some laws are beyond being a joke, but laws regarding racial prejudices and the consumption of possible lethal substances are not exactly comparable. Plus i don't think sitting at the front of a bus to make a moral stance contributed to any organised crime.

1.Buying products made by children is wrong but people still do it.

2. You can't expect the end user to do the morally right thing. They want the product and that's the end if the story.

3. The government needs to work around these facts.

1. Yes I know. It is wrong and people still do it.

2. I don't expect people to stop buying drugs. ALL I'M SAYING IS IT'S WRONG TO FUEL DRUG WARS WHERE PEOPLE DIE. Please just get that into your fcuking head.

3. I never said anything about the government. I never said anything about legalities.

1. Yes I know. It is wrong and people still do it.

2. I don't expect people to stop buying drugs. ALL I'M SAYING IS IT'S WRONG TO FUEL DRUG WARS WHERE PEOPLE DIE. Please just get that into your fcuking head.

3. I never said anything about the government. I never said anything about legalities.
    The government are in charge though. Their the people telling us not to do it. why?

I can understand you not wanting to enrich gangs but the fact is their in control. If there's anything that really needs controlled by the government it's drugs, at the moment they hand over that control to criminals and that's why there's such a problem. People die because the governments (not this government but the law and the people in charge) have ignored the plight of the people.

• Advertisement

The government are in charge though. Their the people telling us not to do it. why?

I can understand you not wanting to enrich gangs but the fact is their in control. If there's anything that really needs controlled by the government it's drugs, at the moment they hand over that control to criminals and that's why there's such a problem. People die because the governments (not this government but the law and the people in charge) have ignored the plight of the people.

I give up. You're talking in circles and I'm not wasting any more time on you. It winds me up.

Advertisement