Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I give up. You're talking in circles and I'm not wasting any more time on you. It winds me up.
    Fantastic!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not to use...but it is wrong to misuse them.

Getting drunk isn't particularly misuse if you don't need to get drunk.

Getting high isn't particularly misuse if you don't need to get high.

Dependence is where it gets wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would see alcohol as one of the worst "recreational" drug. No problem with people using drugs for entertainment/social/spiritual reasons (whatever they may be) but I've no time for the habbit forming substances such as nicotine, coke, heroin etc... I would consider a smoker more of a druggy than someone who takes pills on occasion for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Nope
    Some of the best times of my life were on ecstasy. There's still a ridiculous perception of a person on ecstasy as a crazed voilent hyper-active nutjob who goes around getting in peoples faces looking for a fight. Anyone who's tried it will tell you rows on the street are the last thing you think of. Peace, love and choons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I haven't read a single word of this thread, and i'm not really gonna.

I was about to vote 'no', but really, any drug taken illegally, even one as harmless as cannabis, funds organised crime. For that reason alone it is wrong to use drugs.

like... all the peeps who grow it by themselves, in their own homes, for their own use/their freinds' use?

where's the organised crime in that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ScumLord wrote: »
    Alcohol included.

Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

Some people like one or two drinks but would stop short of getting drunk. Which I think is ludicrous if your taking a drug the main reason is to experience the altered state IMO.

I look at drug use as an experience, it's not wrong to enjoy that experience.
    I haven't read a single word of this thread, and i'm not really gonna.

I was about to vote 'no', but really, any drug taken illegally, even one as harmless as cannabis, funds organised crime. For that reason alone it is wrong to use drugs.

But look at the original poster's first post, he said "alcohol included".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But look at the original poster's first post, he said "alcohol included".
    Oops, didn't see that.

Alcohol isn't illegal, however i do agree that it does more damage than any other drug. So, alcohol abuse is wrong but general consumption is ok, which is what i'd say if soft drugs were legal and regulated.

like... all the peeps who grow it by themselves, in their own homes, for their own use/their freinds' use?

where's the organised crime in that?

Well, first off, i've never ever known of anyone who does this. So i would think they're in the minority, and while i'd agree that in a sense it's harmless, it's still illegal, it's still a crime, it sounds pretty organised too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Well, first off, i've never ever known of anyone who does this. So i would think they're in the minority, and while i'd agree that in a sense it's harmless, it's still illegal, it's still a crime, it sounds pretty organised too:)

:)
    But you would you not agree that they're not hurting anybody if that was the case and therefore irrelevant if it's illegal? Because laws are there to protect the innocent and all that.

hehe, if you're anti-drugs, you tend to be less likely to come across people who do it ;)

and it's no more organised than anyone else who grows their own plants/fruits/veg etc. and how is it wrong to use them (as is the thread question?) when they are doing no harm at all to anyone?

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

cause the government says its bad for you.. nice basis for your morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Maybe this has been said already, Mary Hearney is certainly anti drugs,:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

She's also a fat c*nt.

Kold wrote: »
    She's also a fat c*nt.

Quite true. Always thought that the joke was on us, her being health minister and she's hardly a picture of health herself like. Maybe if she did some coke it'd stave off her appetite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is sugar a drug? It's something I've often wondered. It has very addictive qualities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hehe, if you're anti-drugs, you tend to be less likely to come across people who do it ;)
    A lot of people who are anti-drugs don't see alcohol or cigarettes as drugs, and are mystified how you'd see alcohol or cigarettes as drugs, as they're legal.

Dudess wrote: »
    Is sugar a drug? It's something I've often wondered. It has very addictive qualities...

Doesn't it release dopamine in the brain ? Well, I think chocolate does...
    There's probably a chemical/biological explanation there somewhere, sadly I ain't got it but I do corroborate your ponderous suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Im addicted to coffee :D and possibly chocolate!

the_syco wrote: »
    A lot of people who are anti-drugs don't see alcohol or cigarettes as drugs, and are mystified how you'd see alcohol or cigarettes as drugs, as they're legal.

ah, i agree with that totally. if you'd said it to my naive 17 year old self, i probably wouldnt have gotten it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Quite true. Always thought that the joke was on us, her being health minister and she's hardly a picture of health herself like. Maybe if she did some coke it'd stave off her appetite a bit.

Personally I see having a rotund Minister for Health as a good thing. Yeah sure it seems like having a slim trim fitness king/queen for MOH would be great but how do you expect such a person to empathise with diabetics, people with heart problems, heel pain etc. and all the other conditions associated with obesity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,833 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ultimately you could argue any consumption is wrong. Like meat. I mean at least with smoking pot you arent killing a poor defensless lamb.

Now, that one time when I had spring lamb while stoned: Heaven. That picture is making me awfully remorseful though.

Overheal wrote: »
    Ultimately you could argue any consumption is wrong. Like meat. I mean at least with smoking pot you arent killing a poor defensless lamb.

Don't kid yourself, Overheal. If a lamb ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alfaboy155

I don't think getting high( tripping, buzzing ect) is necessarily a bad thing if done on occasion. The problem with all these drugs (and I'm speaking from a personal/experienced point of view) is how often you do it. Is once a month too much? Once a week? When do you stop looking to be in that altered state? For a number of years I was doing something once a week and smoking( the illegal kind) every day. It took me a while to realise that it was effecting the way I thought and behaved. I wasn't a nice person to be around. I couldn't go out without popping something.

If you can take these substances and honestly say it doesn't effect the way you are with family and friends, it doesn't make you more paranoid, depressed or anxious then fair enough you're not taking too much.I was.

Despite all this I still enjoy a smoke on occasion..

alfaboy155 wrote: »
    For a number of years I was doing something once a week and smoking( the illegal kind) every day. It took me a while to realise that it was effecting the way I thought and behaved. I wasn't a nice person to be around. I couldn't go out without popping something.

If you can take these substances and honestly say it doesn't effect the way you are with family and friends, it doesn't make you more paranoid, depressed or anxious then fair enough you're not taking too much.I was.

The problem with that approach is that your relying on your own opinion to decide if it's affecting you badly. The whole concept of altered state of mind makes that a bit unreliable. You just have to look at all the alcoholics who insist that they don't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

its wrong for me to use certain drugs: experience tells me it won't go well.

but other than that, no, so long as you aren't messing with anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The poll should have been public...

No, there is nothing wrong...

Why do we have need rules?

Depends on your definition of drug use.

I don't care about people drinking, smoking, tripping, yipping etc but I have a massive problem with coke and heroin so I'm kinda on both sides of the metaphorical fence.

However I think once you're big and ugly enough to decide if you're gonna drink then you're big and ugly enough to decide if u want to put that sh1te up your nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

As long as your drug use doesn't affect me off you go... the same way if I take/use drugs at any point and I don't affect you, I don't expect you to give me any grief over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Question: Say if alcohol was recently introduced into the world, would you consume it?

I smoke weed now and again. I enjoy it. It does not affect anyone around me. It helps me when I'm stressed out. That is my two cents!

• Advertisement

blow69 wrote: »
    I smoke weed now and again. I enjoy it. It does not affect anyone around me.

Where do you buy it?

Advertisement